Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longmire [A&E/Netflix - US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

decent finale

cant say i care all that much about the ending
    it's not like anything bad is going to happen to henry....

oh

guess i should wait until the episode is definitely over before I start bitching online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

love this show, its great

all things aiming towards one man

Watched the final episode this evening and really enjoyed it. There was a real sense of dread throughout the episodes and those final moments were genuinely brilliant. It was far from the shows best episode, it works best when concentrating on the mystery of the week but the setup for series 3 was interesting. The whole, who killed Walt's wife and her killer is really dragging on though at least its remained interesting and I'm wondering if they may be using it to introduce Walt's army past.

https://twitter.com/JohnCoveny/status/373165116516102145

renewed for a third season

--edit

http://tvline.com/2013/08/29/longmire-renewed-season-3/
    or perhaps not

seems likely either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Got around watching this and its absolutely epic watching. Its really gripping tv. I love the sutle jokes to just longmire being a bad ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Headshot wrote: »
    Got around watching this and its absolutely epic watching. Its really gripping tv. I love the sutle jokes to just longmire being a bad ass

Yeah, it's one of my favourite shows now, ends on cracker of cliff hanger for latest series. Already looking forward to next series, have a decent wait though.

It's a beautiful day at the Red Pony.

Moved house and fungus lot got around to getting TV channels. Just after series linking series 2 of Longmire even though I watched it as it aired, have rewatched episodes on Netflix and have the Blu-Ray preordered as it has a number of extended episodes. Think it's safe to say that I really do love the show. Rare to find something so simple yet effective, it really is one of the best shows on TV and head and shoulders above all other procedurals airing.

id forgotten all about this show...quite surprised at how few posts there are though, i seem to remember it being busier while the show was airing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

And it returns for season 2 tonight on one of the sky channels, TMC I think. So for the ones of us with less generous cousins in america, this is the chance to catch up.

• Advertisement

With series 3 starting in three weeks, the second series out onBlu-Ray in two with a number of extended episodes and book number 11 being released on June 4 I thought it was about time I watched the first series again.

Watching on Netflix and it really hold up. It's by far the best looking show on tv with some truly gorgeous scenery. The back drop upon which the show unfolds is a character in itself. The show is a western with horses replaced by cars and the old fashioned look and feel makes four perfect Sunday night tv.

Series 3 kicked off last night, not had a chance to watch it yet as I'm still working my way through the previous series. Getting into series 2 and it stands up as a great all round show. It's unapologetically old fashioned and all the better for it. It's also one of the most adult shows on TV yet it never has to rely on cheap violence or sex, something most cable shows mistake seem incapable of not relishing in.

Going to watch the new one tonight, love the show.

One thing I love about the show are the small touches, things such as the manner in which characters roll up evidence in their gloves rather than evidence bags. Or the way in which there's no waiting around for a coroner's van but rather Walt will just bundle them into the back of his truck. A lot of these type procedural shows get bogged down in the how rather than they why and honestly blood evidence, spatter, etc all looks snazzy but it's no substitute for some good old fashioned police work. Longmire is one of those rare shows that realises that viewers are more concerned with watching a mystery unravel than they are characters say behind a computer.

Really glad that the show has became such a hit, watching an episode as I type and even though I've seen it before I'm still entertained by it, something few procedurals manage and few that could manage it upon watching the sane episode twice.

needed a bit of previously on... for that couldn't remember for the half the show what blake was up to before he got shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I want to more and live in Wyoming every single time I watch an episdoe of this show I fall in love with the landscape.

Still working my way through a rewatch of series 2, took a bit longer to get here than I anticipated and just finished up episode 9. It really is just a great little show that manages to tread well worn ground yet never feels overtly familiar. Walt is my favorite character on TV and it's because of his humanity. Far too often in these types of show the main characters are portrayed as too cool for school or else so cynical that it hurts. Walt on the other hand is just a good guy doing a job, there's a moment in series 2 where they find the body of a Cheyeanne girl and Walt tells Ferg to stay with her till the medical examiner arrives becuase no one should be alone, especially not in such a horrible place. It's a small touch and a throw away line that shows just how humane and realistic Walt is, compare him to any character in CSI or Criminal Minds where the victim is generally treated with not an ounce of respect.

Thats it Darko exactly, Longmire is about the people not the crime. It's a little slow at times but not in a bad way, unhurried is a better description, it always lets you feel the characters emotions and never cheats by leaving them one dimensional villains or heroes.
    I think I'll wait for season 3 on TNT, theirs a feeling of satisfaction at the end of each season as the story moves along at it's own pace. It's not about cliffhangers, it's peeling layers off.

Robert Taylor is just the perfect actor to play Longmire a seasoned character actor who has worked on everything from the The Flying Doctors, Ballykissangel to The Matrix.

He just brings a real hard working life experience to the role.

Robert Taylor is just the perfect actor to play Longmire a seasoned character actor who has worked on everything from the The Flying Doctors, Ballykissangel to The Matrix.

He just brings a real hard working life experience to the role.

i do notice that he is playing older then himself and in the books he's supposed to be even older.

• Advertisement

Still not caught up with the new series as the extended cut of episode 10 will not work in any machine I try it. The Blu-Ray seems to be messed up and getting a replacement will take sometime. Tried to watch it on Netflix but noticed that there are some issues with audio dropouts in episode 9 and 10 of series 2 and it seems to affect the show across all regions. Had to resort to other means to get my hands on it so going to throw it on once I make a sandwich and cup of tea.

Anyone on the fence about the show really should give it a chance. The number of people I know who read that original synopsis, about an aging sheriff trying to reconnect with his daughter, and never bothered to watch it is huge. And most whom have sat down and watched the show have loved it.

It's the kind of show which shows just how out of date Networks and the ratings system is. As a 28 year old I shouldn't be interested in Longmire, it skews toward a much older demograph even though the timeless feel to the show and the strong writing make it something that all can enjoy. It's a shame that such an old model is used when assessing a shows worth as Longmire really could be huge, even C.S.I. huge with the right push.

So had planned to just watch episodes 10 and 11 of series 2 but after a morning spent in the hospital and an afternoon with little else to do I finished off the series and it really is just great television. As I said before, episode 10 really is just great TV. That the writers spend almost two series building up to the election and then forget about is wonderful. It really was a smart move and the manner in which the candidates find out the results is nicely done.

I think that the scene where Branch sits beside Longmire in the hospital is one of the shows most important. The theme of fractured family is ever present in the show and the relationship between Branch and Walt is one reminiscent of father and son so it's always nice when the show takes a moment to let the characters breath. Most procedurals would have treated the episode to a flurry of fast edits, quick action, swelling melodramatic much and not a moments peace but here that all took a back seat to the human action. I think that the best way to describe it was that it was pleasant, the show is decidedly old fashioned and unapologetic about it.

Episdoes 11 and 12 were a nice change of pace from the previous weeks, while the mysteries of the week are rarely ground breaking they're always fun and offer up more than a few twists and turns. The elk killing storyline was nicely set up in the previous episode and any show the gets Jim Beaver to guest star is alright in my book. The return of Lucian was fun and I would hope to see him pop up a bit more in series 3. Peter Weller is just a great presence and he and Walt have so much chemistry that you could happily watch them play chess for 42 minutes.

13 got us back to the overall arc and while it was a little rushed, the final moments are truly breathtaking. The shooting of Branch and the way it all ramps up in the preceding minutes with the arrest of Henry leaves you desperate to find out what happens and as you can imagine, after waiting almost a year I wasn't hanging around any more and jumped straight into episode one of series 3.

Series 3 starts with a bang and never lets up. Walt is back to his old **** kick way and by God but I'd hate to be on his bad side. That they have taken the death of Walt's wife and offered up more questions than answers is going to make for some interesting TV. I have a feeling that all that is going on is going to come to a head and I could easily see this series ending with a few less cast members.I'd happily write a few more paragraphs but honestly, I think it's time for a cup of tea and more Longmire

Watched episode 2 of series 3 before bed last night and once again the show went above and beyond what you'd expect from a weekly procedural. They mystery at the heart of the episode was intelligent, gripping and suspense laden. And, once again it highlighted just what made the show so refreshing, the humanity on display. Something so many shows forget.

Case in point, having recently watched a number of episodes of Motive I found myself growing bored of the show rather quickly, the gimmick where we discover the victim and killer before the opening credits is a nice twist but that's about all the show has going for it. The main character Angie is the kind of jaded, cynical cop that at this stage should be a caricature. She goes through the motions and while I can see what the writers intended she just is so detached from humanity that you don't care. She's written and plated as if she is some superhero who can spot the tiny details no one else does and throughout the series she goes to great lengths to make those around her feel inferior. She's partnered with a more humane and likable cop played by Louis Ferreira who seems to be there solely so she can "playfully" mock him and his beliefs. If you stuck Walt into Motive you know he'd be disgusted by how our supposed hero Angie works, to here a victim is little more than road kill, someone to poke at a little.

Apologies for that little detour but for me, the manner in which Walt conducts himself is a big part of what makes Longmire stand out. He treats the victims with respect, there is no snide jokes or quips but instead, murder is looked upon as the sad and pointless act that it is. And episode 3 perfectly showcased this. The murder was senseless and Walt's encounter with the school cop was superb and it Taylor doesn't get at the least a nomination for his performance then there really is no justice. There's a maturity to Longmire that shows such as Game of Thrones would kill for, here restricted by network TV the writers have crafted a show that is more adult than most on HBO or AMC. They realise that it is not through gratuitous sex and violence that one tells an adult story, but rather through the themes and issues you explore.

He treats the victims with respect, there is no snide jokes or quips but instead, murder is looked upon as the sad and pointless act that it is.
    And he treats the perpetrators with the same respect. Walt sees the human in both victim and perp, in doing so he allows us to see it too. Fine writing, acting and direction make this show exceptional for a network 'cop' show.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    And he treats the perpetrators with the same respect. Walt sees the human in both victim and perp, in doing so he allows us to see it too. Fine writing, acting and direction make this show exceptional for a network 'cop' show.

To a degree, but his respect for perps only extends to those whom he can identify with. He has an obvious loathing for any who kills for profit or any unjustifiable reason, it's obvious in episode 2 of the current series just how much he despises the school cop for what he did.

Just watched episode 7 it may just be the best episode of Longmire and may also be one of the best episodes of tv I have watched in along time.

I have just come of a long nightshift and will watch it again tonight refreshed.

Season so far has been top notch the best season so far for me.

Sat down this afternoon and watched episodes 3, 4 and 5 and there really is no other show on TV that comes close to matching Longmire. It's just an exceptional show and one that is going from strength to strength. Episode 3, much like number 2 was a mystery of the week with real mystery to it. It was gripping, intelligent and genuinely moving. Honestly, it's such a rare treat these days to find a procedural which is more concerned with the people than it is flashy FX and cynicism.

Episode 4 was equally good, an interesting, well told tale that never tried to mislead the audience in a bid to create some tension. Instead it just took a leisurely pace and told it's story, the lack of hand holding is something which really helps the show stand out from the crowd.

Episode 5 was just truly brilliant TV, Peter Weller is always a welcome treat and Peter Stormare is a great addition to the cast , much like Taylor he has a face that suits these kind of roles. The writing here was superb, the manner in which the various plot strands were weaved together was a joy to watch and it's obvious that a storm is coming and not all will weather it.
    Hector's death was quite a beautiful moment, it was understated and simple and I think that a lot of showrunners should be sat down and made watch it. In a matter of minutes Longmire managed to do more than most could with a fulle series.

I really cannot wait to see how this series plays out, it's the best thing on TV by far and is one of the few shows which I wish had it's episode order doubled. That Game of Thrones can get 18 or so Emmy nominations and Longmire hasn't so much as got a single one is a crime. Robert Taylor should be up for best actor and Lou Diamond Phillips should be right there beside him. How they managed to over look the show yet again is beyond me, it's well recieved with critics, is superbly written, brilliantly acted and it makes great use of one of TVs most breathtaking backdrops.

Was supposed to head out and meet some friends but put too much wight on my messed up leg and ended up on the floor. Think that 5 hours stood in a field watching the National yesterday took it out of me, so rather than head in and enjoys the Galway Arts festival I threw on another episode of Longmire and episode 6 managed to be just as good as the rest of the series.

The standard here is incredible, even more so when you consider that not a single foot has been put wrong/ It's a credit to the fine writing staff and assured direction that they can take something as cliched as a missing son returning and make it so interesting. The manner in which treated the dead bum once again demonstrates just what makes him so likable, his conversation in the mortuary was one of those moments that express humanity in a subtle manner that's incredibly affecting.

The bigger story was just as good and it really is coming into it's own.Unlike so many other shows which seem to be making it up as they go along, it does appear that the writers have been planning this from the get go. There's so many facets to the conspiracy that soon Walt and Henry won't have many people to trust. Which is why I'm really enjoying the direction the writers are taking Branch. He could so easily be a boring foil to play against but recent weeks have seen him humanised in a nice way, there's a respect between him and Walt that the show has made great use of and the father/son dynamic is nicely explored.

Fully caught up with series 3 to date and episode 7 is one of the finest 47 minutes of TV that I have ever seen. It's easily the best episode of TV this year and it's going to take something truly special to beat it.

Population 25 is not just he most intense episode of Longmire to date but also the most intense single episode of TV since last years Burn Notice episode "Psychological Warfare", which incident enough was the seventh episode of that series. Moretti spends the episode as a victim and as such it allows Sackhoff to show off her acting, which is something she's rarely been afforded in the past. She's a damn fine actress and the moment when she fears for Walt is raw and forceful. There's an intensity there that few every thought he capable of.

The writing here is superb, the manner in which Gorski has been built up as the boogeyman for the past two series has been a master class in understatement and now, much like the election before it the writers have done something far more interesting than him. Far from the caricature he's been portrayed as he is in fact a layered and human figure who only ever really needed some closure. Like a wounded animal he crawled back to what comfort he had and his final scene here is what makes Longmire so great. It's a show about people, about their flaws and what it is that makes someone human. It's an element that's central to the show and the way in which Walt will throw away the only code he knows so that he can do the right thing says so much.

It's rare to find a show that you can watch and then instantly feel like watching again but this is one of them. Rather than wax lyrically about what makes the show and in particular this episdoe so good, I'm going to settle down with a mug of tea and watch it again.

nice use of vikings theme at end, could yerone not get the bus back, an excuse to have them talking in the car...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Very well written posts Darko. Seeing Sackhoff makes me sad that BSG has been over for 5 years.

I know it's a bit tenuous for me to correlate but this show explores a lot of the same struggles regarding human nature like BSG (and still manages it be compelling and exciting), and much like BSG; it hardly even got nominated for an Emmy.

It has that same mature earnest feel, but isn't as unbearably bleak and pointless as GOT, BB and the like. Longmire feels more honest, I find a lot of the best shows descend into power fantasy territory and dude bro territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is my next binge show after I finish Banshee. Looking forward to it (based on what I've read here). Sounds like a very different small town! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Been watching on and off for the last month or so, then binge watched most of season 2 and all of season 3, until finally I'm completely up to date. I felt season 1 was an enjoyable show. It felt fine for an episode or two every now and again but because of the relatively formulaic structure I found myself taking long enough breaks from it until I was bored again. To be fair they did a great job of setting up the characters and their back stories which no doubt has paid off hugely.
    Season 2 was a definite step up in terms of nailing the tone of the show, better mystery of the week storylines and the overall story arcs started coming into play a lot more. The final few episodes were superb in particular.
    Season 3 then continued from those last few season 2 episodes and just ramped it up again. It has really benefited from the heavier emphasis on the big story arcs and not afraid to really shake up the characters themselves. Very surprised at just how intense and dark the Branch storyline has become. I'm both loving it and slightly worried by it as I loved Branch's character but his descent into hell seems irreversible at this stage. No idea how it'll play out though. The latest episode in particular
    shows how far off the deep end he's been driven. Holding up Travis at gunpoint, swinging for Vic... Can't see how he'll be still working for Walt after that. Great bit of action at the end too, really liked how it took place during broad daylight as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Just watched the most recent episode there. Have watched it based on the glowing recommendations from here.
    I don't know how I'm going to manage waiting until next week to see the finale.

It's pretty much a perfect TV show.

(The only character that grates on me a little is Vic's husband, and I get the point of his existence).

:eek:

There really is no show with as much heart and soul as this.

Fantastic writing, acting, directing and setting.

Bloody hell, but that is how you bring your series to an end. This series to date has been amongst the strongest on TV in quite some time and puts make of the more respected "adult" shows to shame. There's so much going on in the show and it takes real balls to end on such a note. Not sure how series 4 is going to play out but the near year long wait is going to be hard to get through. I want closure now, now a year from now which is a feeling that no show has left me with in quite some time.

The scene of Henry and Walt digging up the body was priceless, that they could find so much humour in such a morbid actiivity is a credit to the writers. Lou Diamond Phillips and Robert Taylor have so much chemistry that you could easily watch 42 miuntes of them drinking beer and shooting the ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Left work a tiny bit early to get home and see it.
    The series finale is the best 48 minutes of TV on top of one the best series I have ever seen.
    Absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

That was a really dark ending. :eek:
    It's hard to see them having
    two consecutive cliff-hangers where Branch is shot only for him to survive so I'm guessing he must be a gonner this time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DeepBlue wrote: »
    two consecutive cliff-hangers where Branch is shot only for him to survive so I'm guessing he must be a gonner this time. :(

Could be just me but i have a feeling Branch fired the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DeepBlue wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Nuts102 wrote: »

Same here. I took it that his father was talking about having another son and leaving everything to him rather than Branch, or possibly he attempted to fire on Branch. Also, what Branch was digging into could potentially have damaged the company. Could well be Branch killing the old guy in self-defence. That's how I read the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fully caught up with series 3 to date and episode 7 is one of the finest 47 minutes of TV that I have ever seen.

After reading this a few weeks ago, I put Longmire on my short stack of shows to catch up on. 33 episodes later, here I am. Judging by the number of posts in this thread, it really is an undiscovered gem of a show. One of the best ensemble casts, one of the most likeable leads in a TV show, and just episode after episode of quality TV. Season 3 was one of the best full seasons of a TV show I've seen in recent memory, and the finale knocked my socks off.

I doubt Branch is dead... he was standing too close to Barlow. There was a tussle, a shot fired, Branch will go to Walt with the Nighthorse/50k revelation and he'll be back in uniform before the end of the season 4 opener.

It's pretty clear that Branch ain't dead, Walt telling him that he'll have to do something special to earn his badge back was an obvious nod to the fact that it would be Branch who solved the mystery behind the death of Walt's wife.

Now it would be rather brave for them to kill off Branch and honestly, Longmire is one of the few shows on TV where you feel that no one bar Longmire is safe. Series 4 is a long way off and it's been many years since I've looked forward to a show's return this much. Series 4 is going to be interesting as it should wrap up the ongoing storyline so where it goes from there should be fun.

It's going to be a little odd getting used to Henry and Walt working against one another, it's pretty clear that the writers intend to have Henry take over from Hector and become an avenging angel. The great thing about the show is that you could almost picture Walt lending a hand, he's belief system is one that's based more on what's right than upholding the letter of the law and it's what helps separate the show from so many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have no words:(:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well that has really p*ssed me off. Makes no sense what so ever. Hope another network does pick it up but won't hold my breath. Why end it on a fecking cliff hanger. B@stards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

That's really disappointing. :(

Netflix to the rescue please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement