Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to area from u.k, any advice??

• 27-08-2011 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello

There is the possibility that i may be moving over in the next year or two to work as a post doctoral researcher in Dundalk.
    I have family in the Forkhill area (Carrickasticken), and have visited Newry and Dundalk on many occasions.
    I would prefer to live in the ROI however i would be grateful of any advice on areas to avoid and areas worth a look.
    Me, my partner and our young daughter would prefer to live in a rural area,with a little land, no more than an 80min commute in to Dundalk.

Absolutely any other advice will be appreciated! including "Don’t do it" :-)

(This seems to be the advice from family members over here, however, i think this is mainly due to their memories of living in the border regions in the 60s/70s)

Surely things have moved on allot since then, I’ve never encountered any tensions relating to my accent.... but maybe I’m very unobservant?

Many thanks

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

A number of points and opinions for you.:)

I've been in North Dundalk now for 4 years and find it great.

It is not at all like it was back in the 60's/70's according to my parents who lived here then for 3 years.

As for commuuting 80 minutes would let you live in Dublin, Meath, Belfast, Hollywood (almost) and still be here in time.

Whereabouts in Dundalk will you be working? DIT?

If I were doing it again - I would probably have moved to N. Ireland instead, better healthcare, better taxes, cheaper cars and more etc.

I love my house and the view of the bay but things like VRT irks me especially when 3 miles elsewhere there would be none etc.

Final point depsite the VRT niggle it's a great place - very convenient to almost everything and the scenery is nice and relative to elsewhere in Ireland the weather is not too bad!:D

What is your budget for buying or renting?

Advertisement