Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency services last night

• 27-08-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what happened last night?

Was coming back from town and pulled in on the Ballinacurra road at about01:20 to allow blue flashing lights past me.

Three fire engines, four maybe five police vehicles and then a minute or two later a yellow ambulance all went by at speed with the sirens on.

They were all well gone when I was passing the Crescent shopping centre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

fire on the fr russell rd last night

from 95fm news
    3 units of the fire service were called to a house fire on the Father Russell Road just after 1am.
    The fire was quickly brought under control and there are no reports of any injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

sonyair wrote: »
    fire on the fr russell rd last night

from 95fm news

Good to hear that there were no injuries. Guess the extra manpower that went with the fire engines was in case it was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Was someone also taken out of the river last night?

I think theres been another one or two incidents with the river this week.

I always find it scary to think that so many people can enter the frame of mind to try sometime like suicide. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SoCo2009 wrote: »

I always find it scary to think that so many people can enter the frame of mind to try sometime like suicide. :(

I think it is sad more than scary that a person gets to feel so lost and can see no hope of improvement in whatever situation they find themselves in.

Have lost a number of friends and family to suicide so whenever I hear of an attempt or of a person who succeeded in doing it, I always miss those gone from me that bit more, and feel a wave of empathy for the latest person to try/succeed and for their family/friends.

It also highlights the need for a lot of the stigma around suicide to be lifted in this country especially the dogma that seems to be still ingrained by the church on the topic. Plus it always hammers home the need for proper funding/equipment for the river rescue crews as those guys are genuine heroes who put their own lives at risk each and every time they enter the water on a call out, yet they have to struggle to raise funds year after year despite providing a service that is literally a life saving one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Originally Posted by SoCo2009 viewpost.gif

I was driving thru Harry's Mall bout 1.45pm on wed & the search & rescue teams were there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think it is sad more than scary that a person gets to feel so lost and can see no hope of improvement in whatever situation they find themselves in.

Have lost a number of friends and family to suicide so whenever I hear of an attempt or of a person who succeeded in doing it, I always miss those gone from me that bit more, and feel a wave of empathy for the latest person to try/succeed and for their family/friends.

It also highlights the need for a lot of the stigma around suicide to be lifted in this country especially the dogma that seems to be still ingrained by the church on the topic. Plus it always hammers home the need for proper funding/equipment for the river rescue crews as those guys are genuine heroes who put their own lives at risk each and every time they enter the water on a call out, yet they have to struggle to raise funds year after year despite providing a service that is literally a life saving one.

Totally agree with your post. Way way more has to be done. Even something simple like a lifeguard in the River Shannon might help things? I dont know.

Since 1998, deaths from suicide have exceeded those lost in road traffic
    accidents by as many as 100 people per year.

And I'm guessing that the amount of money spent on suicide prevention is a fraction of that spent on road safety.

Lets just hope more in trouble people will become aware of great organisations like Pieta House ( http://www.pieta.ie/ ) , or the availability of extremely low cost counsellors to help people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

kiersm wrote: »
    I was driving thru Harry's Mall bout 1.45pm on wed & the search & rescue teams were there.

IF it was about 1:45pm it was most likely preparing for Steve Spades Dunk, and the Thomond Swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

IF it was about 1:45pm it was most likely preparing for Steve Spades Dunk, and the Thomond Swim.

What's Steve Spades Dunk?

kiersm wrote: »
    What's Steve Spades Dunk?

Steve Spade is a Magician, and was doing an underwater escape yesterday. So hence he was going for a 'dunk'

3 firebrigades just passed me on my way home on the Ballinacurra Road heading towards the crescent? Anyone know whats going on, or out that way to post what happened later?

• Advertisement
Advertisement