Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rpm 540 or 1000 for a sidespreader

• 27-08-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

jus a quick one got a loan of a sidespreader to spread a few loads of manure id say maybe its a conor or a nugent cos tis green but fairly old should the revs be 540 or a 1000 thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

We've a Howard side spreader. I use it with a 65 HP tractor.
    I always have the PTO in the 540 gear. I keep the revs fairly well up too.
    Sidespreaders take a huge amount of power to drive, so better to work in the low PTO gear.....me thinks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

1000 rpm with the lid up empties the quickest
    It wouldn't help the life of the spreader though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

I always use these in the 540E box. It simply rotates the shaft that bit faster the 540 hence emptying the spreader faster. I usually have upwards of 140hp on it tho and even at that it takes a bit of grunt to get it started. So id stick with the 540. I would even think that trying to start one in the 1000 box with a medium sized tractor could even stall the engine or else keep shearing shear bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

we have a KIDD spreader, keep out about 10feet each stroke, start machine in 540 at tickover then full power for 33% of load, then change up a gear for next 33% throttle @80% then up a gear again for fianal 33% throttle at 70%.

keep an eye on what you are doing or you will have the start too bare and the end black as coal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

540.for the sake of tractor and machine.and give her a good wash after and a cover of burnt oil and diesel for the winter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

540.for the sake of tractor and machine.and give her a good wash after and a cover of burnt oil and diesel for the winter
    We do this every year with ours. We have it over 20 years now.
    We also grease the bearings after powerwashing and turn the rotor a few times by hand to work in the grease. Stops any water rusting the bearings.

Advertisement