Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to the hospital without a car

Options
  • 27-08-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

My wife is 30 weeks now - we don't have a car and we're not sure how to get to the hospital when the big day comes.

We're booked at Mount Carmel and live on the north side of Dublin so its a bit of a way. Does anybody have experience with getting taxis while in labour and coming back with a newborn?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I'd say some taxi drivers might be a bit wary about taking someone clearly in labour. Personally, I'd try really hard to get a friend to agree to

a) taking the 4am phone call, and
    b) getting you to the hospital in their car.

Preferably someone who will not feel the need to stick around after dropping you off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Taxi when she's in early labour (have a plastic sheet and a towel at the door for the journey), I'd be ringing a taxi company and discussing it with them so they can ask any of their drivers if they object to carrying a labouring woman and one that takes debit/credit cards so your not scrabbling for enough cash to get the taxi.

A taxi should have no problem in bringing you home from hospital as long as you have the appropriate car seat for the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

We are in same situation. We don't really have anyone local with a lift tbh.
    I plan on popping down( waddling more like) to my local taxi base in next week/two- we are regular customers and hoping they will agree to bring me to hospital on the day.
    I know its what my mum did when my brother was born.

We have lift home from hospital.

Advertisement