Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

facebook

• 27-08-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

i have been using facebook more and more for photography , there is a new design out today, which i hate , really horrible in my mind for photography - just seams to be purely focussed for tagging - with a horrible white design - perhaps its time to return to flickr and pix and use facebook purely as a social medium , or forget it alltogether -pity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Facebook is a social networking site, not a photo hosting site so I don't see what the moaning is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

hahaha pure troll reply there pete

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Not to mention that they compress the living **** out of your images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

thebaz wrote: »
    i have been using facebook more and more for photography , there is a new design out today, which i hate , really horrible in my mind for photography - just seams to be purely focussed for tagging - with a horrible white design - perhaps its time to return to flickr and pix and use facebook purely as a social medium , or forget it alltogether -pity

Facebook IS a social network. It *is* purely focused on tagging and commenting and adding friends. It was never a portfolio website. It was never an image hosting website, that's what Flickr, et al, are for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

hahaha pure troll reply there pete

Not at all. It's a social networking site, not a photo sharing site. Do you try to social network on flickr to the same extent? Sure FB has "photo pages". People I've been to uni with that now work as "photographers" have them and their pages are terrible, their images are terrible and somehow they keep getting work through them.

It's appealing to the masses to easily be able to look at some FB photo page and give it a "like" and the photog gets all their friends, and their friends friends to "like" it and they get x amount of followers and deem themselves as good/experienced/valued as a photographer. Most of these people only have a FB page as their main outlet for business and advertising. It's unprofessional and cr@p tbh (not directed at baz, in general). Real photographers will have a good, dedicated website and it makes sense for them to have a FB page to get out there and link it back to their real site. That aspect makes sense if their website is good and their work is up to par with their claims.

For someone to moan about FB not having a photo display/hosting layout they aren't happy with, is a weak complaint. It isn't what it isn't.

So no, not pure troll. If I wanted a photographer and they sent me a FB link I'd be walking away straight away unless the images were stunning or they had an external site I could link to, rather than fanboy/friends raving about the (usually generic {not aimed at Baz}) photos.

FB is so accessible to so many people who don't have a clue about anything to do with photography, so what gets liked on some FB photo page means little to nothing in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pete4130 wrote: »
    Facebook is a social networking site, not a photo hosting site so I don't see what the moaning is for?

just wanted a good ****ing moan - got my anger out on the football field , thankfully for all associated with me

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

thebaz wrote: »
    just wanted a good ****ing moan - got my anger out on the football field , thankfully for all associated with me

Humberklog "likes" thebaz's de-stressing methods.

Humberklog's dipping Swiss chocolate swirls into a piping hot cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

M-i-m-m- like's humblerklogs's comment on thebaz's status.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Luv u hun xxx

pete4130 wrote: »
    So no, not pure troll.

Ah but it is :D your right but its still funny. your funny. smelling.

on that note!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/facebook-announces-easier-better-faster-cleaner-photos/3077]

Does this mean less compression on images? It just says a bigger size, but why would I want to see a bigger version of an image they will just compress the **** out of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

looking at it again , the new white design really is truly awfull

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

+1 the white display is crap,. and the photos are tiny, any way to revert back to the black display ?

I quite like it, the quality is better for sure! Google+ still looks much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I find Google+ much better than Facebook for photographies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm surprised anyone actually puts photos on facebook what with the whole copyright issues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Google+ is fantastic for photos and it acts like a blog too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm surprised anyone actually puts photos on facebook what with the whole copyright issues...

I'd like to see the photos of the omelettes. The omelettes who everyone that is about to make one puts up on their pages saying that they're about to make an omelette. Facebook and Twitter is full of people about to make omelettes. Pics or GTFO!!

Advertisement