Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in apartments around in the IFSC

Options
  • 27-08-2011 1:07pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone here have good/bad experiences of living around IFSC?

I'm thinking of moving there to be closer to work. I've heard mixed things about it being fairly rough. Just wondering whats it like to live there especially for things such as walking from home from town at night for example?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

thebison wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering does anyone here have good/bad experiences of living around IFSC?

I'm thinking of moving there to be closer to work. I've heard mixed things about it being fairly rough. Just wondering whats it like to live there especially for things such as walking from home from town at night for example?

Cheers :D

Lived there about 5 years ago. Never had any issues regarding walking home. Couple of young lads from Sheriff St used to hang around the shops an odd time, but no problems.

The whole area was quite at the weekends, bit lifeless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Depends on what part of it you mean. The IFSC starts at Connolly Station. Some apartments as far away as The Point/O2 Arean call themselves IFSC too. I am at the Connolly end of it, and it is grand. I walk up Talbot St every day to go to town. There is a good buzz about the place with all the shops and tourists about and travelers and buses going to and from Busaras and Connolly and the Luas. There is a Tesco and Supervalue just before Gardiner St which is very handy for grocery shopping. There is an off license next door to the Supervalue that attracts a lot of drunken skangers, but I have had no bother out of them. I think there is a methadone clinic near by so you'll see poor unfortunates knocking around that are blitzed out of their minds. Again, I've had no bother out them, but it is wise to have your wits about you none the less.

In the evenings, I will walk home down Talbot St or Abbey St as long as it is still bright, shops are still open and a fair amount of people are around. If it is after 9, I'll get the Luas home and get off at either Georges Dock or Connolly. Never had any bother walking back to my apt from the Luas. If I need to get any messages, I'll stay on until Mayor Sq and hit the Marks and Spencer's food shop, or the Spar or the Mace. Then walk home. There are usually a fair amount of kids (and some grown ups too) from Sherriff St knocking about on their bikes. I found them a bit threatening at first, but there is a big taxi rank that runs parallel to the Luas tracks so there will usually be people about if you are on foot. The Luas is a brilliant service. Runs every few minutes and it can have you in town in just a few minutes of you don't want to walk.

If you plan on moving further down going towards the O2/Point area, I would not walk home at night. I'd definatly get the Luas. I looked at a few apts down there behind the Gibson Hotel in Castleforbes Sq. The apts were nice, but the the whole area seemed rather run down compared to the northern end of the IFSC. Other than the hotel and the O2 arena, there is not much there in the way of shops, pubs, restaurants etc. The Connolly end has The Harbour Master pub, the CHQ center, The Vaults, Morrison's in Connolly and the Mayor Sq area has a good little cluster of restaurants and pubs, and coffee shops.

Agree with the other poster, it is very quiet on weekends. Very few of the people who work in the IFSC seem to live here. Even the gym in the National College is closed on weekends. No demand I suppose. Still, it's a nice 10 minute walk across the river to the Grand Canal Dock development. There is usually more to do and see there of a nice Sunday afternoon than at the IFSC. All in all, I am very happy with where I am for now. I only moved in in June. It has been nice and bright for the most part when I am coming home. I am reserving judgment until I have put in a winter here, and have experienced the mean streets of Dublin 1 when it gets dark at 4 o'clock.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Cheers for that info. The place I'm thinking of is closer to Abbey street. Heard mixed things about it but I'm sure its just like any other spots. Keep to yourself & know your wits!

Advertisement