Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio 1: Saturday 1pm - No News ?

• 27-08-2011 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Am I losing my mind or did there not used to be a news show on Saturday after The "Marian Finucane" Show... Now the hour seems to be used for more filler, repeats of the documentary hour..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

I thought the exact same.....1 to 2 used to be the last hour of serious current affairs for the day. All due respect to people in the 9/11 doc but not what I wanted to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

maybe nothing happened in D4 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Probably just for the silly season I'd say, Saturday View prob back next week as it's September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis summer and the living is easy on RTE. The world could end and they'd hardly notice for 4 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LiamOBrien

Am I losing my mind or did there not used to be a news show on Saturday after The "Marian Finucane" Show... Now the hour seems to be used for more filler, repeats of the documentary hour..

'Saturday View' (A politics prog not a news prog http://www.rte.ie/radio1/saturdayview/ ) goes off air every year for the duration of Dail/Govt holidays i.e. mid/late July to early/mid October and is always replaced by alternative programming.

RE: Now the hour seems used for more filler - There are no repeats of any documentaries aired in the 1-2pm slot - just newly produced Documentary on One productions. Whether you consider radio docs to be just 'filler' material is entirely up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

I don't think Saturday lunchtime is a good time for listening to a radio documentary. Documentaries need a lot of attention and are often of interest only to other documentary-makers. I think many people find them a turn-off during daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Documentaries need a lot of attention and are often of interest only to other documentary-makers.

I'd respectfully disagree. I believe that the Documentary on One is the single best thing that RTE as an organisation do. The quality of the documentaries are astonishing, and are in no way elitist or overly "highbrow".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

According to the Sunday Times Saturday View has been axed.

It'll be replaced by a Scrap Saturday type programme @1pm and none other Charlie Bird :( @ 1.30pm.

Rachel English is to move permanently to Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

dambarude wrote: »

It'll be replaced by a Scrap Saturday type programme @1pm and none other Charlie Bird :( @ 1.30pm.
    Who will cover for Claire Byrne now then?

Well I don't mind a satirical review, the Saturday View presenter Rodney Rice retired didn't he? I suspect that it became his show and hasn't got the legs without him. Rachel English should replace Aine Lawlor with any luck.

• Advertisement

I'd doubt that Áine Lawlor will be moved. Rachel English is already presenting Morning Ireland regularly along with Lawlor, so I presume that she'll just continue doing that without the Saturday show.

I can't help but suspect that this axing has occurred so that they can find somewhere to slot Charlie into. He's been wandering from post to pillar since arriving back from the US. It has little to do with English or listener figures. It'll most likely be much the same programme, just with Bird as presenter.

It seems similar to what they've done in slotting George Lee into The Business, ruining a good show in the process.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

RTE seem to now have an agenda to remove all the serious and hard hitting current affairs shows and replace them with this kind of crap, particularly when it keeps some of their failed and mediocre employees amused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Typically of RTE, failure rewarded again.

Even with this new Charlie Bird show, what will he do for the rest of the week? It's bad enough with Marian Finucane spinning the story that she's in preparation for her four hours radio all week (for the few weeks that's she's there), but how will Charlie justify his salary on one hour a week of radio? Will he still be 'corresponding' (if you can call it that) for the news?

It's really boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

LiamOBrien wrote: »
    'Saturday View' (A politics prog not a news prog http://www.rte.ie/radio1/saturdayview/ ) goes off air every year for the duration of Dail/Govt holidays i.e. mid/late July to early/mid October and is always replaced by alternative programming.

RE: Now the hour seems used for more filler - There are no repeats of any documentaries aired in the 1-2pm slot - just newly produced Documentary on One productions. Whether you consider radio docs to be just 'filler' material is entirely up to you.

I happened upon the Doc On One this Saturday lunchtime while driving to a job. It was the 9/11 doc about "Joe". Great piece of radio. I thought the parents attributing every odd thing in their life to their missing son was a bit too much. That's their story though and not a criticism of the documentary.

I made it my business to tune in again after 6pm to the "Searching for Answers" doc. The fact that the daughter of the missing trawler man went and made this added a rawness to it. The pain was very evident when she spoke to her mother even though the tragedy happened such a long time ago.

I understand anybody can make a documentary with Radio 1 if the idea is good enough. These guys supply the gear and the technical backup.

Great stuff, keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

More Music wrote: »
    I happened upon the Doc On One this Saturday lunchtime while driving to a job. It was the 9/11 doc about "Joe". Great piece of radio. I thought the parents attributing every odd thing in their life to their missing son was a bit too much. That's their story though and not a criticism of the documentary.

I made it my business to tune in again after 6pm to the "Searching for Answers" doc. The fact that the daughter of the missing trawler man went and made this added a rawness to it. The pain was very evident when she spoke to her mother even though the tragedy happened such a long time ago.

I understand anybody can make a documentary with Radio 1 if the idea is good enough. These guys supply the gear and the technical backup.

Great stuff, keep it up.

Yeah, maybe, but everyone has their own way of coping with tragic losses so if that gets them through this terrible event, where's the harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

No harm in it at all. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to cope.

However for example, if you come home and find the fridge open it's unlikely a dead person opened it. Or if you find a few pennies on the ground, how can that mean anything?

Surely somebody could find a better way of communicating they are ok.

Can I just say I'm not criticising the documentary, but I'm a bit sceptical of the parents beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Red Alert wrote: »
    RTE seem to now have an agenda to remove all the serious and hard hitting current affairs shows and replace them with this kind of crap, particularly when it keeps some of their failed and mediocre employees amused.

I don't agree. There's far too much 'serious' radio on Saturday morning as far as I'm concerned. You have a farming program from 8 to 9, then Playback, then an hour of George Lee, then two hours of Marian Finucane, are you a glutton or what?

By 1 p.m. I'm saying 'where is Ronan Collins when we need him?'!

That lack of a Saturday political discussion has come back to bite RTE in the ass this weekend. What with McGuinness declaring and Norris back in the hunt to get backing they would have had plenty to go at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

dambarude wrote: »

Fianna Fail goes and RTE decides it's time now for a satirical programme 'like scrap saturday'.

Why? was there an absence of satire and high farce in the way Ireland has been run in the last 15 years I wonder?

But now FF are gone it's safe to unleash the critical thinkers in RTE. Dermot Morgan must be laughing away up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I listened to Charlie Bird just to give it a chance, well Yawwwwwwwnnnn!!.He really is annoying, boring, boring!:(.

Advertisement