Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Any scrap metal you don't want?"

Options
  • 27-08-2011 1:46pm

Hey all,

Just off the phone to the Garda station. Fella called to my house a minute ago asking if I'd any scrap metal or rubbish I don't want. Was at the door for about 30 seconds with him, and he barely looked at me at all.

Pretty sure they're just eyeing up houses to rob from. I'm in Rathmullen Park area, guy was wearing a red t-shirt and had black hair. Just thought I'd say it incase anyone runs into him (or them, if there's more than one).

Seemed to be on foot, and no unusual cars/vans parked in my street so not sure how he/they are travelling about, but just something to keep an eye out for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

We live in Aston Village/Termon Abbey north drogheda. I noticed a load of kids with trolleys full of scrap metal going through the village. They were met by a white transit van (new one of course...) further down the road. No doubt begging, emptying skips or bins.

Metals as rubbish have value as scrap, quite a bit actually. You can turn rubbish into money.

However, these people are not to be trusted and you are right to be on your guard regarding possible theft from houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What did the Gardai say? There's been a load of vans doing the rounds here (mid-Louth) over the last few weeks, they pull into driveways as if it was no big deal. Obviously sussing the places out. I went out to them a few weeks ago and they asked about a car I was selling.. I'm not even selling a car like! There were 4 of them in the van.. I don't want to overstate the following bit but - they're travellers. There's about 30 caravans parked up in Salterstown, near Annagassan, and the van that came into my yard was parked amongst them one day when I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

They've been round the Fatima/Toberona area of Dundalk now for the past week. Didn't think much of it the first day I saw them round my estate until 3 days later. The same van was round again, had the same junk in it as it did 3 days previous and in the space of about 3 - 4 hours it had made 4 trips into my estate.

Pretty sure it was a Ford Transit dropside, three big lads in the cab, the cab was red & white, dropsides are red also with sheets of ply standing up on the sides of the trailer, similar to the pic below:

1993502.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmm doesn't seem to be the usual lads in the white lorry that drive around looking for skips etc. Lads i'm thinking of are travelers , but they never knock the door unless they see stuff in the garden.

My folks were getting work done earlier in the year up the road from you KKV in finians and they saw the old cooker in the garden , but they stopped to ask if it was ok to take it and if we had anything else. They were not shady in the least and pleasant lads but I guess those are the worst kind, as you expect a shady character to steal from you at least.

You were right to call the guards , as there's been a fair few break ins in recent times up here.

Edit: Looking at hellboys pic that is the lorry im thinking of. only the one I'm thinking of matches the pic perfectly had no red.

Well now as I say myself, I didn't see a van or pickup or anything about the place. Guy was on foot was all I could tell.

When I was talking to the Garda on the phone, she at first thought I was just moaning about people calling door to door and was just gonna shrug it off I think, but when I explained to her what I was talking about she said they'd send a patrol car up to do a drive around the estate.

Not that it really matters, to be honest. I mean, unless they confront him he'll not notice them even if they do drive past anyway.

Garda didn't mention anything about other complaints, nor did she say it was a unique complaint, so I'm not sure if anyone's been moaning about it, but the guy that was at my door couldn't take his eyes out of my sitting room (which you can see into from the front door) so he was either fascinated by my decorating or he was sussing the place out.

... And he didn't ask for any decorating tips... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Best thing to do is to have three BIG MR.T chains on your door. :D

imgMr%20T6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I pity the crazy foo's who try mess with BA !

Saw that flat back Transit up The Carrick Road on Friday.

Went outside and had a good staring match with them. They tipped off soon after.

Best thing to do is to have three BIG MR.T chains on your door. :D

imgMr%20T6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Hey all,

Just off the phone to the Garda station. Fella called to my house a minute ago asking if I'd any scrap metal or rubbish I don't want. Was at the door for about 30 seconds with him, and he barely looked at me at all.

Pretty sure they're just eyeing up houses to rob from. I'm in Rathmullen Park area, guy was wearing a red t-shirt and had black hair. Just thought I'd say it incase anyone runs into him (or them, if there's more than one).

Seemed to be on foot, and no unusual cars/vans parked in my street so not sure how he/they are travelling about, but just something to keep an eye out for.

I'm pretty sure the same lad called to my house earlier this week asking the same questions. In Finians Park myself so it would fit in. Think they might have thought they'd found an easy target when they seen my mam but it was me that answered the door.

They had been sitting at the bottom of the street in a red Opel van, and it was only my house that they called into, shortly after the mother had walked up the street and into the house. There was 2 of them that I could see, the one you have described and then a stocky sandy haired lad that was driving the van.

The mother being the mother done the same as yourself and phoned the Gardai, they said they had a few different complaints about them from our area over the previous days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Warning to anyone with metal furniture in the front garden, woman up the road (Finians Pk) had her seat lifted the other night. Wooden bench with cast iron frame, you know the kind. Loads of people have them out front for decoration.

Was stolen over night and obviously stolen for it's metal content. Not making accusations here or pointing fingers (Mods).

Just a heads up for folks to be vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

calex71 wrote: »
    Edit: Looking at hellboys pic that is the lorry im thinking of. only the one I'm thinking of matches the pic perfectly had no red.
    The one you seen is on the rounds down by me today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement