Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocks of creamed coconut??

Options
  • 27-08-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Looking at a recipe here. I've bought coconut milk before but never blocks of creamed coconut! Same thing?? Thanks.
    PS recipe says 1.5 blocks. If the milk will do, what would equivalent measurement be please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

It's not the same thing. Creamed coconut is a solid, coconut milk is a liquid. You'll find creamed coconut in most of the Asian markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Creamed coconut is a thick block of set coconut flesh. It will produce a different result to the milk. Any asian market should sell it. Just grate it up when using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Well, 2 supermarkets and 1 asian shop later I bought a carton of creamed coconut. No "blocks". So this carton is 250ml, definitely NOT solid but much thicker than the milk. Anyone know how much to use as per 1.5 blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it's liquid, then it's not creamed coconut, at least not as I'm familiar with.

This is the brand that I often buy and it weighs 200g.

KTC-Creamed-Coconut-Big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP what you have is Coconut Cream, and it's not the same as Creamed Coconut. Any good Asian shop should have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

kylith wrote: »
    OP what you have is Coconut Cream, and it's not the same as Creamed Coconut. Any good Asian shop should have it.

your local health food shop should have this also, brand name is biona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭phonypony

Tesco usually stock Patak's creamed coconut sachets

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Yesterday I used the KTC brand that dudara referred to. I used half(100g) and followed the instructions to make coconut milk, adding warm water and putting through a fine sieve. I ended up with over 300ml of coconut milk, not as viscous as the tinned stuff but worked really well. Made a thai yellow curry/satay thingy and had plenty for 4 people. No difference in taste at all and seemed like it had less fat too..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

phonypony wrote: »
    Tesco usually stock Patak's creamed coconut sachets
    They are a good brand, showing in my tesco as 1.35 for 200g which seems reasonable.

I would have avoided any recipe that had something listed in "blocks", most do look about 200g-250g that I have seen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

your local health food shop should have this also, brand name is biona.

The carton said "creamed coconut" - hence misadvertising it would seem. Used the full 250mls anyway as couldn't be assed trapsing around anymore shops and the local asian shopdidn't have it either. Next time, I will go to Tesco and stock up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I buy Pataks creamed coconut in my local Tesco too. Furthermore the Pataks pack is divided up into individual sized sachet type amounts not just a full block. I find this type of presentation really useful and good value.

Advertisement