Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I remember when I saw them as a support act. Look at them now!!

Options
  • 27-08-2011 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

So, as the thread title suggests, can you remember bands you saw play to a handful as a warm up or support act, and you thought *meh,not too sure on these lads*, and then a few years later they are packing them in headlining.
    Of all the gigs I was at, I can't think of any, most seemed to be fairly dull.
    I do remember Corrosion of Conformity support Metallica in the Point, but then again, it wasn't exactly a small gig, and CoC were big enough in their own right.

I remember playing a gig in Dublin once, and we had this support act called Matt Lunson. No idea who he was at the time. He just waltzed in with his guitar, played a few songs and left again. Then he did go on to better things, though no idea where he is at these days.

Only other thing I can think of is Mumford and Sons on Balcony tv a few years back. I know it wasn't a support slot...

So, any bands you saw on support slots, thought *meh I'll go to the bar* and now they have now gone on to bigger things?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Chicks supporting Sonic Youth in the Olympia.

Oh wait.... they went nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

nirvana supporting sonic youth. i thought they were rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Beach House supporting Fleet Foxes in Whelan's. :D

Missed most of their set, turned up not long before they finished. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Two Door Cinema Club come to mind. I watched them play a ton of gigs for a few years and were appalling, genuinely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Seen System of a Down years ago at Dynamo in Holland, think they were on 3rd at around 1pm, look at the fcukers now!!

Also seen a great little band called Guns n Roses who were second (2pm) on the bill at Donington in '88.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭yogi beer

Mumford and Sons were a supporting band, and one of the most successful of them all.
    They were Laura Marlings supporting band (piano, guitar etc.)
    The 2nd last time I saw them was when I saw Laura marling in London years ago and they were standing in the back of the spotlight strumming along to Laura's god awful sh*te!
    The last time I saw them however was this year at Benicassim, where they played Main Stage to 40,000 people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I remember Franz Ferdinand supported Interpol in The Village the year before they released their debut album... think that was 2004? A year later Franz Ferdinand were a markedly bigger draw than Interpol. Nowadays it seems Interpol has slowly crawled up and passed the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

yogi beer wrote: »
    Mumford and Sons were a supporting band, and one of the most successful of them all.
    They were Laura Marlings supporting band (piano, guitar etc.)
    The 2nd last time I saw them was when I saw Laura marling in London years ago and they were standing in the back of the spotlight strumming along to Laura's god awful sh*te!
    The last time I saw them however was this year at Benicassim, where they played Main Stage to 40,000 people :)

:( Some of Laura's stuff is brilliant! Although she can be very up and down. But yeah, I heard of Mumford and Sons a good while before I heard of Laura Marling. Most of my friends have heard of Mumford but not Marling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Remember going to see Faithless in Marlay park in 06 and Kasabian were supporting them and now look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

Biffy Clyro supporting the Who at Marlay Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Tool supporting Rage against the machine in the tivoli theatre in 92 or 93

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Florence and the machine supporting gravenhurst in front of a small crowd in crawdaddy, both acts have gone in slightly different directions sales wise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Watched Snow Patrol support Ash in Temple Bar Music Centre, around the time they released "When its all over...." They were pretty amazing, alot better than they are now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

kings of leon supporting the pixies in 05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Editors when they supported Franz Ferdinand in The Point, thought they were sh*t!

The Blizzards, Villagers and Bell X1 supporting Aslan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Watched Snow Patrol support Ash in Temple Bar Music Centre, around the time they released "When its all over...."

I saw Snow Patrol supporting Belle & Sebastian in the Olympia in 1999, a couple of years before they reinvented themselves. They were still on Jeepster at the time, and doing their raucous indie thing, which didn't go down too well with the B&S crowd.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Queensryche supporting Dio in 84 ... a few years later they released one of the best concept/metal albums ever.

Tesla supporting Def Leppard 86-ish .... debut album went on to be a platinum seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Snow Patrol supporting Feeder in 2001. They sucked back then too

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

the cranberries supported suede on a us tour in the early 90s. as the tour progressed the cranberries became more and more popular and become the bigger draw - people were going to see the cranberries and leaving when suede would come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

eventually suede ended up supporting the cranberries on that tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Saw Snow Patrol support a band called 'Skindive' in Dolans Warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Adebisi Shank supporting Deerhoof in Whelans a few years ago, can't remember the year...

I went to the merchandise table to get Deerhoof's then-latest album (Offend Maggie) on vinyl, just asked "Could I have a vinyl please?" and was handed This Is The Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank on 10 inch, and I was too awkward to say "I don't want that, I want Deerhoof" so I bought it - ****ing glad I did too, great great album!

That's how I accidentally got into Adebisi Shank. Now they're touring the US and Japan and all? Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

2 that stick out for me are The Kill's supporting Franz Ferdinand in the Olympia and Ben Kweller supporting Kings of Leon also in the Olympia...

Another would be Dan Donnelly supporting Duke Special in Vicar St..

They might not be BIG acts to some people on here but they have done well for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

U2 supporting the Virgin Prunes at the Arc in Cork - thought Bono was an a t**t even then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

The Kills supporting Jon Spencer Blues Explosion in the Tivoli back in 2003. They were excellent (the kills).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    U2 supporting the Virgin Prunes at the Arc in Cork - thought Bono was an a t**t even then.

I'd still reckon the biggest twat in the house that night was probably Morgan the Bouncer (a fave of us Arc heads back in the day, not) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seen System of a Down years ago at Dynamo in Holland, think they were on 3rd at around 1pm, look at the fcukers now!!

Also seen a great little band called Guns n Roses who were second (2pm) on the bill at Donington in '88.[/QUOTE]

............and look at them now too. How the mighty have fallen!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

saw Explosions in the Sky in the high stool in Limerick on a little bill of bands. I know they're not the biggest even now, but are defo a bigger draw than the high stool in Limk. They were savage then though....

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

qwytre wrote: »
    The Kills supporting Jon Spencer Blues Explosion in the Tivoli back in 2003. They were excellent (the kills).

true, they were great that night. but not any time i've seen them since. that was the longest JSBX show i ever attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

The Script supported The Blizzards once upon a time...

Advertisement