Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I remember when I saw them as a support act. Look at them now!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the killers on the new band stage at oxegen!

artic monkeys playing an NME new band thing in the ambassador in 04 i think it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Saw Muse backup Ash in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Saw Bon Jovi support Kiss in 1984 at the Glasgow Apollo. I think it was the Kiss Unmasked tour where they played without their make up.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'll probably get banned from here for admitting these people I've seen but I saw Justin Bieber supporting Taylor Swift in 2009 when he was pretty much unheard of.

I also saw Black Eyed Peas supporting Christina Aguilera in 2003 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

true, they were great that night. but not any time i've seen them since. that was the longest JSBX show i ever attended.

Agree, I jave seen them twice since that and it never was quite as good for some reason. They were trying too hard when supporting Franz F. in the Olympia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Showing my age but Pixies supporting Sugarcubes in a small little club in Boston in 1988, both were amazing.

Think Snow Patrol supported Sebadoh in Mean Fiddler/Village back in the 90's, they were alright nothing to get too excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

mikemac wrote: »
    Saw Muse backup Ash in Galway

This was going to be my contribution too.

Heineken Green Energy in Castlegar in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I suppose the best example of this is when I saw The Darkness support Def Leppard in February 2003 in the UK, mainly because they were gathering a lot of press at that time.

That was the week their first single came out now that I think about it, they didn't even have a video yet, and in July 2004 I saw them substitute for David Bowie as the headliners of the Oxegen festival....makes you laugh when you think back....

I also seen Mastodon do a 20 minute set to open for Slayer in Wales a few years ago now, this would have been before the release of Leviathan. A friend of mine seen them in 2000 though supporting Cannibal Corpse when Eric was still their lead singer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Oasis supporting REM in Slane '95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 iGenius

cjmcork wrote: »

My brother was at that gig, pity there's no footage of it. They were already pretty massive though..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

cjmcork wrote: »
    iGenius wrote: »
    My brother was at that gig, pity there's no footage of it. They were already pretty massive though..

Yes pity as right. Oasis were shi-te at Slane in 95. Got booed off the stage, and left in a temper when someone threw a shoe at them. Very funny, also you could hear the crowd singing Blur's 'All the people, so many people' at them.

Michael Franti and Spearhead were amazing at that gig however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Sigur Ros supporting Godspeed You Black Emperor in TBMC in 2000. What. A. FÚCKING. GIG!!!!!
    Fly Pan Am were there as well who are not to be sniffed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sigur Ros supporting Godspeed You Black Emperor in TBMC in 2000. What. A. FÚCKING. GIG!!!!!

f**king hell! :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

really - cos I didn't know who the hell they were, I just couldn't figure out who would put Sharon Shannon on the same billing as REM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Muse supporting JJ72 in the olympia, probably in 2000 around the time showbiz was released.

there were issues with JJ72's gear getting in from the UK, so it ended up with Muse headlining to a crowd that didnt know them at all, but they absolutely killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yes pity as right. Oasis were shi-te at Slane in 95. Got booed off the stage, and left in a temper when someone threw a shoe at them. Very funny, also you could hear the crowd singing Blur's 'All the people, so many people' at them.

Michael Franti and Spearhead were amazing at that gig however.

i thought oasis blew rem away that day. dont remember them getting booed or walking off stage as the rock was thrown during the second song and they were only warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

i have a video of the rem set

Keith Urban supporting Bryan Adams in the point in 2005, i didnt really know who he was then but i sure did when he finished playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah that was an amazing show, they'd really put in some effort with the venue as well, loads of candles and drapes around the walls. One of the best gigs I've ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Saw a pretty unknown Josh Ritter support Beth Orton in Vicar Street a good few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Saw a pretty unknown Josh Ritter support Beth Orton in Vicar Street a good few years ago.

yea and look at him now hes still ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Surprised that nobodys mentioned U2 supporting Thin Lizzy at the first ever Slane Concert in 1981. Hazel O Connor was on that day as well.
    RayCon wrote: »
    Queensryche supporting Dio in 84 ... a few years later they released one of the best concept/metal albums ever.

Tesla supporting Def Leppard 86-ish .... debut album went on to be a platinum seller.

Mention of Queensryche - they've since sold 20 Million + albums. Not very well known here but still very big in the States where they used to be a big stadium band.
    They're currently on their 30th anniversary tour......AND.......they're being supported by a Cork based band The VooDoos. probably one of the best live bands doing the rounds in Ireland at the moment. They're getting great reviews over there and have a 3 record companies sniffing around so hopefully it's only a matter of time for them.
    Superb band, hopefully they'll be home in October for a while so keep your eye out for them and check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Machine Head supporting the mighty Slayer at sfx in 93 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

novarock wrote: »
    Muse supporting JJ72 in the olympia, probably in 2000 around the time showbiz was released.

there were issues with JJ72's gear getting in from the UK, so it ended up with Muse headlining to a crowd that didnt know them at all, but they absolutely killed it.

That didn't happen, Muse were always the headliner that night.

That didn't happen, Muse were always the headliner that night.

I thought it was the other way around, sure they had only just released showbiz then... ah well..

Don't think so, because I was at it and while I don't like Muse, I'd have no time for JJ72. I keep all of my tickets, so can check next time I'm in my folks house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

they're being supported by a Cork based band The VooDoos. probably one of the best live bands doing the rounds in Ireland at the moment. They're getting great reviews over there and have a 3 record companies sniffing around so hopefully it's only a matter of time for them.
    Superb band, hopefully they'll be home in October for a while so keep your eye out for them and check them out.

Interesting ... thanks

Don't think so, because I was at it and while I don't like Muse, I'd have no time for JJ72. I keep all of my tickets, so can check next time I'm in my folks house.

I thought it was a Tom Dunne Gig, maybe a double headliner, but in my head the whole thing was in doubt because of JJ's gear being Awol... Either way, Muse were something special that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ok - So you don't like Muse, and no had no time for JJ72, but you went to a gig with Muse and JJ72. Even if you got free tickets, you wasted about 3 hours of your life.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was young and some mates were heading along. I remember thinking the first album was ok.

My point was that I wouldn't have been there if it was a JJ72 gig :)

Advertisement