Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muckross =/

Options
  • 27-08-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Ended up getting stuck with muckross accommodation due to confusion with the system. Bit annoying but cant be helped!

Was just wondering if anyone else is heading there or anyone has before and knows anything about it.. And could enlighten me =).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I hope you like nuns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 R_Rooney

I hope you like nuns.

After going to an all girls convent school.. I was hoping to get rid of them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I was in Muckross last year and have already written a few posts about it here already- the following is what I said about it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74022052
    There's a communal space for everyone in the 'kitchen' (ie a place with a microwave, fridge, toaster, countertop and fridge) - I never put food in there because idiots kept coming home drunk, raiding it, and denying it in the morning. They stole eeeeverything- including full dinners like pizza and homemade pasta. As for things like ice-cream -- forget it.

The rooms on every floor are basically the same- I just wouldn't recommend the 2nd floor as I stayed there and it was really noisy!

You share a bathroom, and although they're technically gender segregated, people don't seem to abide by this and use whatever one is on their floor. They're in the form of stalls with sinks outside, and there are separate shower rooms which are basically a 'foyer' (such a grand term for what it is lol) and 4 separate small rooms with a shower and a place to put your things. A few geniuses last year decided to block up the toilets with toilet paper and another lovely individual took a sh!t on the toilet seat lid. Needless to say, I'm having my own ensuite this year...!

Weekends can be pretty quiet- less than half would stay every weekend. There were a number of internationals there last year who had to stay, even coming up the Christmas and whatnot, but it's pretty spaced out so you might not see them even if they're there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74015737
    I was in Muckross last year and it's probably a better place to go on your own and make new friends because of the constant interaction with others (you eat together and it's great craic hanging out together in the TV room after dinner). We found ourselves staying in most nights, ordering in pizza and getting slabs of beer instead of venturing out, and it really was 10 times better. However, the food isn't the healthiest- hope you like chips...!

PS @ Rooney -- don't worry, it only used to be a convent, but most of the crosses and religious stuff were removed so now you only see nuns wandering around the garden every now and then (don't worry- they don't bite! ;)) There were Jews and Muslims there last year, go figure- the place ain't a convent any more, that's for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 R_Rooney

Siuin wrote: »
    I was in Muckross last year and have already written a few posts about it here already- the following is what I said about it:

Thanks so much, this has put my mind at ease a good bit, I was panicing that it was gonna be no craic :p.

And what about the rooms, heard there was no desks in them :rolleyes::mad:, how annoying!

And last thing is the security, what's the guest policy like?

Well as long as a nun doesnt randomly walk into my room at night I think I should be fine lol.

R_Rooney wrote: »
    Thanks so much, this has put my mind at ease a good bit, I was panicing that it was gonna be no craic :p.

And what about the rooms, heard there was no desks in them :rolleyes::mad:, how annoying!

And last thing is the security, what's the guest policy like?

Well as long as a nun doesnt randomly walk into my room at night I think I should be fine lol.

Lol no worries- it's much better than you think. There are desks in every bedroom, plus a desk lamp, bin, duvet (but no cover), pillow, 'comfy' chair, spinny desk chair, sink with mirror over it, and of course a wardrobe. One thing I would say is to bring some boxes which you can slide under the bed or into the shelves cos there are no drawers, which can be annoying for trying to store socks and underwear. There are also some study rooms if you wanna learn in groups (ie copy from eachother and have the craic lol).

The guest policy is pretty reasonable- once the person in question is signed in to stay in your room by something like 4 or 6pm, you can have them stay over for 3/4 nights (can't remember exactly, but if it's a long stay, we just got a friend to sign the person in on their behalf and it was grand too). There was one chick who had a lot of... 'gentlemen friends' heh- her neighbour had to ask her to move her bed out from the wall cos it kept smacking against it all night XD

No nightwalking nuns, although they did try to invite us to a meeting about the apocalypse on the first week... that was kinda creepy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mr potato

Just don't play the "never have i ever" game wink.gif

mr potato wrote: »
    Just don't play the "never have i ever" game wink.gif

LOL that ended up with two girls admitting they had anál sex. And consequently becoming the most popular chicks in the Muck :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Siuin wrote: »
    LOL that ended up with two girls admitting they had anál sex. And consequently becoming the most popular chicks in the Muck :cool:

... pun intended?

Smeefa wrote: »
    ... pun intended?

XDD No, but I'll pretend it was so I look witty and clever :P

Advertisement