Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I travel on J1-IWT with a one way ticket??

• 27-08-2011 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Bit of a pickle to be honest, obviously trying to save as much money as possible before I go over. Just had my interview with the embassy on friday and got approved. So thanks to the Irish Immigration Center - I'm good to go!! But....now I need flights.

I have a $700 flight voucher with Delta - that will take the sting out of it, yet flights are still $1181 for a return ticket in July (for some reason they don't do year long tickets, so I'll have to ring up and change it some time next year) or about $950 for a one way. These are ridiculous prices to be honest, but I just want to get over there.

Does anyone know if I can travel on a one way ticket or do I NEED a return. I know with Usit/go4less you do. I just can't find anything from the IIC where it tells you that you need a return ticket.

Any help would go along way!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

Yes you can travel on one way flight because I dont think you are able to get a return flight for over a year anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

As bearnabeauty said, for the 12 month visa you don't because most airlines and travel agencies won't schedule flights for over 9 months in the future. I'm pretty sure the travel agencies shouldn't expect it from you either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I'll clear it up for anyone else who finds themselves in this situation. The Irish immigration center do NOT require a return ticket, however I was told by the USIT team that you do need to purchase a return ticket if you go through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

You should be safe enough with a one-way, but I would advise getting a return at those prices. I got a return recently for $770, unless you're going to the West Coast that sounds very expensive.

Either way if you pay $950 one way it's cheaper to pay $1080 for a return that comes back in a few months, then call up before you're flight and change your ticket, it'll cost you about $150 to change the date but still cheaper than buying another one-way to return.

Advertisement