Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent cans of beer for the electric picnic

• 27-08-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

Am heading to the picnic and was looking for some decent beer cans to bring, all they will have at it is the awful choice of either Heiniken, Coors and maybe Paulener which is decent but I don't like weiss beers, I just seen on the Drinkstore website that they have the following in cans:

Fullers London Porter
    Fullers ESB
    Abbot Ale,
    Marstons,
    Hobgoblin,
    Speckled Hen
    Badger Ferret
    Badger Tangle Foot

All 1.99 or less, thats a pretty decent choice of canned beers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

What about Punk IPA? Is that over here in its canned form yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mo14 wrote: »
    What about Punk IPA? Is that over here in its canned form yet?

Cans of good beers are thin on the ground over here, the only place in Dublin I seen any others was Hobgoblin and I think, Speckled Hen in Deveney's
    I 'd get a few Punks if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

being to a good few festivals the last few years and reckon Becks is a decent can of lager and the worse would be Bavaria.

another 2 decent cans are Budvar and Grolsch.i drive to them and have cooler bags n boxs so the lager stays cold for the wend.

not able to make it to EP this year but next year i will have plenty of ales for my festivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rothai

Never mind the quality, this is a festival so i want cheap piss and lots of it, any1 know if there is any drinks promos on in any of the supermarkts?

rothai wrote: »
    Never mind the quality, this is a festival so i want cheap piss and lots of it, any1 know if there is any drinks promos on in any of the supermarkts?

Your in the wrong thread, I think your looking for the tramps one?

• Advertisement

Your in the wrong thread, I think your looking for the tramps one?

Ironic,considering you have barney as your profile pic, who would drink anything!!!

My point was, come sat eve nothing is going to taste great so why waste the money.

Sorry I didn't realise this was the tosser thread!

It doesn't matter if its a festival, a carnival or a night out at the pub, like a lot of people on this forum I like decent tasting beers not "piss". Give me 3 or 4 cans of fine ale over 30 cans of your muck any day. Re: Barney, we beer connoisseurs have a sense of humour too. :o

It doesn't matter if its a festival, a carnival or a night out at the pub, like a lot of people on this forum I like decent tasting beers not "piss". Give me 3 or 4 cans of fine ale over 30 cans of your muck any day. Re: Barney, we beer connoisseurs have a sense of humour too. :o

Cool. Sorry dude,i shouldn't have hijacked your thread anyway,i should have started a tramps one :)

I'm still of the opinion nothing tastes good out of a can and bottles aren't allowed.

Have a great time, what ever you bring, if I see anyone drinking badger tangle foot i'll say hello :)

Cool. Sorry dude,i shouldn't have hijacked your thread anyway,i should have started a tramps one :)

I'm still of the opinion nothing tastes good out of a can and bottles aren't allowed.

Have a great time, what ever you bring, if I see anyone drinking badger tangle foot i'll say hello :)

Alright boss, for a drinker of mainstream beers you don't seem like a bad sort :D, enjoy the picnic, I had one of my cans of London Pride last night and it was delicious. I'll leave you with some reviews of it in cans from Beeradvocate. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/71/222/?sort=serv&servT=6&start=0

I'll have to give it a try, i have their india pale ale in the fridge(bottle conditioned), which i like. Us tramps dont just confine ourselves to mainstream piss ya know :D
    Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

A good cooling regime is just as important..

I cool the cans in the fridge the night before.. I then get a freezer bag from aldi/dunnes and insert into cooler box.. Insert cans inside freezer bag and cover with a bag of ice..(also frozen capri suns) Leave enough room to close bag and put top on cooler box.. Then pick up bags of top up ice when needed down there..

Will prob be banned for this but my last 3 years at EP i've brought Tuborg and Hollandia!!!

Let the flaming begin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 0kee

Am heading to the picnic and was looking for some decent beer cans to bring, all they will have at it is the awful choice of either Heiniken, Coors and maybe Paulener which is decent but I don't like weiss beers, I just seen on the Drinkstore website that they have the following in cans:

Fullers London Porter
    Fullers ESB
    Abbot Ale,
    Marstons,
    Hobgoblin,
    Speckled Hen
    Badger Ferret
    Badger Tangle Foot

All 1.99 or less, thats a pretty decent choice of canned beers.
    Hi,
    Glad I found this thread. Last year I was happy with cans of Tyskie but I've moved on. I'm liking O'Haras Pale Ale, Odells IPA, Seira Navada Pale Ale, Punk IPA ... that kinda thing. any suggestions of something in can form that I might like? I've tried the Speckled Hen and I wasn't crazy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Slightly OT, but can someone explain to me why glass is banned where cans are not ? In most festivals I've been in, they were almost never discriminated - usually pretty much everything was allowed on the camping site and pretty much nothing on the actual concert area, save the odd plastic bottle of water.

To stay vaguely on topic, don't you get a metallic taste when drinking from the can that would virtually ruin the whole thing ? Or do you plan to pour it in some sort of recipient ?

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but can someone explain to me why glass is banned where cans are not ? In most festivals I've been in, they were almost never discriminated - usually pretty much everything was allowed on the camping site and pretty much nothing on the actual concert area, save the odd plastic bottle of water.

To stay vaguely on topic, don't you get a metallic taste when drinking from the can that would virtually ruin the whole thing ? Or do you plan to pour it in some sort of recipient ?

Firstly with a huge amount of a clean up necessary its even more work with thousands of potentially broken bottles everywhere, secondly the metallic can taste thing is overstated, soft drinks from cans taste the same as ones from plastic bottles to me for instance.

0kee wrote: »
    Hi,
    Glad I found this thread. Last year I was happy with cans of Tyskie but I've moved on. I'm liking O'Haras Pale Ale, Odells IPA, Seira Navada Pale Ale, Punk IPA ... that kinda thing. any suggestions of something in can form that I might like? I've tried the Speckled Hen and I wasn't crazy about it.

You can buy cans of ipa's in Britain but none are over here yet as far as I can see, I'd buy O' Haras, Punk and Galway Hooker in cans for the EP if I could find them believe me! London Pride and ESB are fantastic so you might like them, not a fan of the Hen meself either.

You can buy cans of ipa's in Britain but none are over here yet as far as I can see, I'd buy O' Haras, Punk and Galway Hooker in cans for the EP if I could find them believe me! London Pride and ESB are fantastic so you might like them, not a fan of the Hen meself either.

I'll give them a go, cheers. have you ever tried the Badger Tanglefoot? I see that's available also.
    I just find most English ales quite sweet. I'd rather something with a bit of bite to it.

0kee wrote: »
    I'll give them a go, cheers. have you ever tried the Badger Tanglefoot? I see that's available also.
    I just find most English ales quite sweet. I'd rather something with a bit of bite to it.

I like both sweet english ales as you call them (don't find them sweet myself) and ipa's, I didnt like the Tanglefoot at all but the other Badger one they have in cans called Ferret is quite decent, ESB as I said earlier is quite hoppy, maybe thats your best bet.

I like both sweet english ales as you call them (don't find them sweet myself) and ipa's, I didnt like the Tanglefoot at all but the other Badger one they have in cans called Ferret is quite decent, ESB as I said earlier is quite hoppy, maybe thats your best bet.

ESB it is so, thanks again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just buy a few boxes of chateauneuf du pape and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

For those wanting something stronger I picked up two one litre bottles of Captain Morgans last night in Tesco. On offer....only 20 euro each

• Advertisement

thunderdog wrote: »
    For those wanting something stronger I picked up two one litre bottles of Captain Morgans last night in Tesco. On offer....only 20 euro each

Screw the Captain, I'm going with the Sailor some limes and some Old Jamaica Ginger Beer

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Just buy a few boxes of chateauneuf du pape and you'll be fine.

The very thought of Châteauneuf in a can sent shivers down my spine : |

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

LaBaguette wrote: »
    The very thought of Châteauneuf in a can sent shivers down my spine : |

I'm sure he meant boxes, as in boxed and bagged wine.
    Need to get O'Haras doing their IPA in cans.

Advertisement