Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KCC Wasting Money with bad workmanship

Options
  • 27-08-2011 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

The road from Sallins to Straffan has had 2 miles resurfaced a month ago.

They spent 1000s resurfacing the road.

Except as usual they never repaired the road before they started.

Yes. The dumbos resurfaced the potholes and large bumps as well.

The road has had zero improvement as the pot holes(100s of them) where never filled in and the verges are still hollowed out. Cracks and all

This is very annoying as the whole job is just a massive waste of money that could be spend elsewhere on the area. The lot needs all done again!!

Makes you wonder why these lad even turn into work.

I want to build a bit of awareness to the problem so thought it was worth posting here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Perhaps you should contact a suitable engineer in the council to see if this "behaviour" can be addressed in future

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭migemo

All co councils this time of year use up whatever remaining money that was allocated to them on whatever comes into their heads, otherwise their allocation would be reduced next year. Use it or lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the dual carriage way between naas and newbridge is the same, the most unusual place i've seen it done so far is a little road out by barretstown, the road is tiny and plenty of other roads would of being much better off being resurfaced
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Barretstown+Rd&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=53.214977,-6.763544&sspn=0.028988,0.084543&geocode=FWrkKwMdkp6Y_w%3BFbQXLAMd4FWY_w&vpsrc=0&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=14&z=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

migemo wrote: »
    All co councils this time of year use up whatever remaining money that was allocated to them on whatever comes into their heads, otherwise their allocation would be reduced next year. Use it or lose it.

Yes . I work close to a semi state company and it is the same story. But this is still no excuse to do the job incorrectly in my opinion . If there is a load of cash that needs spending , then why not spend it correctly and do the same jobs right.

I have just been up the Newbridge road. The duel carriageway. Same story.

All the yumps and bumps still there and a new skin put on them. And now the whole road will need further money spent on it to re pain the road markings.

I would have thought lose chippings would be the wrong thing to do on a major duel carrageway. Is asphalt not the proper way to get the road right???

Anyone getting overtaken get hailed with stone now.!!

For what??

I intend to call up for some answers in Monday.

this is where they can be contacted
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/

I suggest others do also. Its your money they are flushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

migemo wrote: »

These jobs are planned so your statement is not true in this case. Annual surface dressing is a big part of all roads sections' operations.

The quality of some of the work is poor, I can't disagree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Awful repair of potholes outside South Campus of NUIM as well. They'll be back in winter the minute the frost starts. Look like someone spent 5 minutes on them, complete joke.

These jobs are planned so your statement is not true in this case. Annual surface dressing is a big part of all roads sections' operations.

The quality of some of the work is poor, I can't disagree with that.

Then it comes down to one thing.

Incompetence at the ground level.

The lads doing the job need to be replaced with (Irish) contractors.

Its happening all over the state with CIE. And productivity and quality is going up.. Its also giving the people that work there a wake up call.

Why not local roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Oh it was the foreigners was it? Well that explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

gsxr1 wrote: »

All the yumps and bumps still there and a new skin put on them. And now the whole road will need further money spent on it to re pain the road markings.

I would have thought lose chippings would be the wrong thing to do on a major duel carrageway. Is asphalt not the proper way to get the road right???

For what??

Same thing here. http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.190916,-6.774187&spn=0.019413,0.054932&z=15&vpsrc=6
    I never got to understand why they are "surfacing" the road with loose chippings? They did that last year in the section from Toghers toward Newhall and now, in the 21 century, they are resolving to upgrading another portion of the road which was in need of proper asphalt resurfacing for a few years now, to loose chippings!

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Oh it was the foreigners was it? Well that explains it.

that's not what I a was implying

Irish Rail hire in a Portuguese company to maintain the dart lines. When the money could be kept in the country using our own people to do it . 450000 on the dole. Surly we could use or own human resources.

Outsourcing of infrastructural work to other countries in these hard times does not sit well with me. It was not a dig at any person from a different place. I would like to see my tax money being invested back into our country. Im sorry if this offends you.

But that a whole different subject.

• Advertisement

that's not what I a was implying

Irish Rail hire in a Portuguese company to maintain the dart lines. When the money could be kept in the country using our own people to do it . 450000 on the dole. Surly we could use or own human resources.

Outsourcing of infrastructural work to other countries in these hard times does not sit well with me. It was not a dig at any person from a different place. I would like to see my tax money being invested back into our country. Im sorry if this offends you.

But that a whole different subject.

We're all Europeans now so presumably the cheapest/best tender came from a non-Irish company. Get used to it. :D

regedit wrote: »
    Same thing here. http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.190916,-6.774187&spn=0.019413,0.054932&z=15&vpsrc=6
    I never got to understand why they are "surfacing" the road with loose chippings? They did that last year in the section from Toghers toward Newhall and now, in the 21 century, they are resolving to upgrading another portion of the road which was in need of proper asphalt resurfacing for a few years now, to loose chippings!

It's a cheap job that keeps some sort of surface on the road. I guess we don't have the money to do a proper fix. I can't understand why the potholes weren't filled first either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

regedit wrote: »

It's a cheap job that keeps some sort of surface on the road. I guess we don't have the money to do a proper fix. I can't understand why the potholes weren't filled first either though.

Councils tar n chip roads. It's a good cheap solution...BUT if it rains it washes the tar out before it's all set in which case it's a waste. Tarmac costs about 5 times more. Chipping over potholes is stupid plain and simple. The road needs strengthening in these situations normally

Yes . I work close to a semi state company and it is the same story. But this is still no excuse to do the job incorrectly in my opinion . If there is a load of cash that needs spending , then why not spend it correctly and do the same jobs right.

For what??

Did you call them up? My windscreen is all chipped because of the overtakers

Advertisement