Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Husky

• 27-08-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, I am having a problem at the moment with my Husky (Ochii).

I was curious to see if anyone on here has a husky or can help me with my problem. At play time, he has no or little interest in throw ball or frisby unlike his two Rottweiler brothers.

Can anyone help me out with ideas because husky's need alot of energy draining and I feel I am not yet cutting the grade I would like, even tho I have no problems with him, a very well behaved dog. A remote control car did not help either as you can see I'm trying to think outside the box :D although his two Rottweiler brothers (Tyson and Hooch) liked it so much they decided to break it:rolleyes: lol.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Can't help sorry except to say you might want to try pming ISDW in case she doesn't see this post, she has a lot of experience with sibes.

Good luck and i hope you get the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Check out stuff like scooters, canicross and bike joring. They have a lot of energy and love to pull.
    The Tails n Trails site is a great place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

blaaah wrote: »
    H At play time, he has no or little interest in throw ball or frisby unlike his two Rottweiler brothers.

Some dogs are naturally more predisposed to particular toys over others, so if you can think of what a husky is originally bred for and tailor games for that. As they are a pulling dog maybe you could utilise that, as far as I know they have a high prey drive too, something like a lunge whip with a small, floppy toy at the end for him to chase in circles might work either? (think of a giant cat wand). Swimming is fantastic for burning off energy and is very friendly to their joints too. Although as mentioned ISDW is the one for this thread. :)

If you want to encourage your dog to play with toys you need to pair it with something worth more to the dog. If your dog is food driven, then reward when he gets involved in the game as if you were training, if he's praise driven, then loads of praise and attention for even looking interested. If it's important to you that your dog get involved then look at it as a training exercise and employ the same techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Hi

Ive a 8 month husky and will only play with toys if they squeak and no interest at all if they dont. I ordered loads of the Kong tennis balls of amazon.co.uk for nothing. They squeak and he loves them. I would highly recommend them.

He wont return them though doesn't seem to care much about fetch. The only thing my lad loves and which tires him out is going for jogs and playing with other dogs in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭blaaah

koneko wrote: »
    Check out stuff like scooters, canicross and bike joring. They have a lot of energy and love to pull.
    The Tails n Trails site is a great place to start.

What is Canicross? and I believe bike joring is lead and myself on bike?

Thanks to everyone for the great post's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yep, check out Tails n Trails for some useful info http://tailsandtrails.ie/

Canicross is basically you wearing a belt, and the dog is attached on a bungee, and you ruuuun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭blaaah

koneko wrote: »
    Yep, check out Tails n Trails for some useful info http://tailsandtrails.ie/

Canicross is basically you wearing a belt, and the dog is attached on a bungee, and you ruuuun :)

Ah ok cool, thank you.

Yup that site is very interesting only just starting to read it up now. Again thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

My 2 year old Husky has zero intrest in balls and fetching or toys generally. Once she licked the stuff outta of a kong she is meh about it.
    She likes a bit of a wrestle and playing with other dogs ( who are all ball obsessive) but no fetch.
    Walking and walking and walking and zoneing out when we pass fields of sheep!

Advertisement