Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC not boot after upgrade

Options
  • 27-08-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hiya

I bought a new 650w Coolermaster PSU and Zalman CPU fan the other day. I was upgrading from a Trust 500w and stock Intel cooler respectively. I didn't expect any problems since my machine was working fine before that and it's not like either of the new parts require drivers or anything, like a new gpu or whatever would.

Anyway, after installing the only sign of life was a brief turn of the fans when the power button was hit. I've seen this before when building the machine so I thought I'd assemble all the parts outside the case in case a stray or loose screw was causing a short or something.

It powered up fine. Entered the BIOS and my cpu, ram, hd and dvd drive are all detected. Windows, however, refuses to boot, just reverts back to the BIOS
    screen. I tried the startup repair option (not from the windows dvd, just from the boot menu) I'm attaching pics of the results, it couldnt repair, citing a 'root cause' and failed the 'system files integrity check and repair'.

I moved the hard drive to another machine and it appeared fine, was able to move all my files.

Thought I'd try booting from the Windows 7 disc to try some of the repair options there, or a clean install if I had to. However, it blue screens just after the 'booting from the cd' message every time :mad:

Tried resetting the cmos (took out the batter, moved the jumper etc)

Kinda out of ideas at this stage, any help would be appreciated.

Could the new psu or fan be causing this, seems unlikely. I haven't tried with old ones yet, mind.

oops, forgot to include my other specs - Asus PK5 mobo,Q6600, 8GB ram, Radeon 4870, 320GB HD, Win 7 64-bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Just realised I made a cock up of the thread title :o

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

I tried a bios update since without any success.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Seems like a strange thing to happen. My first guess would be faulty PSU, I would try with the old PSU again and see does it work. Another possibility is that the cooler isn't fixed properly, causing the CPU to overheat and bluescreen, but thats pretty unlikely. Worst case is that you damaged something when changing everything out, did you ground yourself before working on the computer?

I'll try the old PSU. I thought I made sure to ground myself before handling any components but this is my main worry. It's not the cpu fan as I've checked in the BIOS and it remains at at steady 30 degrees, the fan is at 2000rpm. Wish me luck, thanks for the reply. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

What worked for me in the past:
    1. Shut down the pc and unplug
    2. Remove cmos battery
    3. Remove all unnesscessary devices for booting. (just use hd and grahics)
    4. Replace cmos battery and start up
    5. Add extra devices (sound card etc) one at a time

Hopefully that will work!

• Advertisement

Ok so I tried the old PSU, same thing happens - blue screen or hangs when I try to start Windows or boot from the DVD. I'm beginning to think I might have damaged the motherboard while installing the CPU cooler. It was kinda tricky to install and took about 20 minutes before I managed to clasp it in place. In the past there were also a few strange things happening with it, like one of the chassis fan pin things not working and it sometimes would give a RAM error BIOS beep at startup unless all 4 RAm chips were installed.

Any other advice? Kinda pissed off, I didn't really have to replace the fan in hindsight, just thought it'd help with performance/temps and now I've gone and ballsed it up. Left with RAM and a CPu that won't work on the new generation of motherboards, but is there any point in buying another LGA775 motherboard in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Try and boot up with the following:

New CPU cooler and PSU
    Graphics card
    OS drive only
    1 RAM module only

Unplug everything else. Extra RAM, sound card, USB devices (including mouse and keyboard), everything.

Does it boot then?

Thought I'd report that I'm up and running again. One of my RAM modules was bad. Thanks to everyone that replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

So you damaged it by not grounding yourself or were you handling RAM at all? I never thought that really happened much in the real world!

I had to remove the RAM to make it easier to install the fan so maybe that was it. You'd think I would have fried the other 3 as well though? Maybe it had died before that and I just hadn't noticed, but wouldn't that have stopped the machine from booting before as well? I'm a bit of a loss to explain what happened really! The good news is that I now have my q6600 overclocked to 3.1 ghz with idle temps of 30 degrees, 40 - 43 at load. Not too bad! And the blue screening during gaming has stopped, guess it was the old PSU alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement