Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - Airtricity or ESB ?

Options
  • 27-08-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi.

i live in a 1 bed apt. it has one storage heater, not working yet, night meter being installed monday 29/08/11.

i'm not even sure i'll turn on the storage, so bad is their rep with regard to efficiency and cost.

now that esb have also increased their prices, as have airtricity i'm wondering what are other people in a similar situation to myself doing.

i work shift, so sometimes work nights, sleep during the day, using most lecky in the evening.

then when i'm on days, i'll use more lecky at night.

i've been looking at price plans on the airtricity and esb website. the night saver deal migt not work so well for me, i won't be using much electricity between 23:00 and 07:00.

airtricity general unit prices seem slightly cheaper than the esb's.

should i go airtricity? i'll have to decide monday morning.

thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We continue with ESB and believe they are best .

For easy payments and understanding your bill , to communication , we find ESB best .

Its always going to be a case of swings and roundabouts . All energy suppliers are increasing prices for various reasons .

Its unlikely any of them will reduce their prices .

No matter which you decide , they will provide the service , so in your case , you need to decide if their payment method / bill issue method suit you .

If you decide on cost alone , you probably find that Airtricity are still cheapest .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

put Airtricity into the search at the top of the page, and filter to only include threads in consumer issues. you'll make a decision very quickly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ditto the comments about Consumer issues etc- read the consumer threads here on boards for example.

Airtricity may be slightly cheaper- however from personal experience the ESB are far easier to deal with (that said- I actually get my electricity from Bord Gais, and my gas from Flogas).........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

okay folks thanks very much for those comments, that fairly rules out airtricity.

i spoke to an ESB rep on the phone yesterday regarding price plans. i explained my situation to him, about shift hours, working days & nights etc.

i asked him what price plan would be best for me.he recommended 24hr consumption, he mentioned unit costs which i scribbled down somewhere, but after just moving in to this place i can't find them:o

but he said the current unit price is subject to a 14% increase from October 1st.

if i did go with the 24hr consumption plan, i wouldn't get any nightsaver rate, therefore i'd be paying a constant price day or night, which seems silly since at least with nightsaver it's cheaper by night and slightly dearer by day.

i know this is all down details, but wouldn't nightsaver rate be cheaper than 24hr consumption?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

who_ru wrote: »
    i know this is all down details, but wouldn't nightsaver rate be cheaper than 24hr consumption?

all depends on usage, you need to be using at least 30% of your electricity between 11pm and 8am to see any savings with nightsaver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

ive been with all three of them , thier is no real competition in the electricity market in in ireland , its an illusion

as for the comparisons between all three

ESB and bord gais are about equal in terms of customer service

airtricity are poor by comparison

id go with bord gais myself , marginally cheaper than esb

at the end of the day , your paying the esb in some shape or from regardless of who your contract is with

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

I used to be a sales rep with Bord Gais. From what I gathered from customers, Airtricity are a waste of time. You would be safe with ESB, they're known to all and are good to people that have trouble keeping up payments (should it ever happen), where as Airtricity would have no problem cutting you off. I'd say you would be safe with Bord Gais aswell, well known, they've been around for yonks.. Either or really! As for the rates, I'd say the 24hr is just the best all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi all. OP here to update.

i went with ESB in the end, but the guy i spoke to on the phone was totally clueless and actually sounded hungover, heavy breathing down the phone, stuttering and mumbling, saying 'no bother no bother' to everything i said.I'm amazed he didn't use the word 'boss' at any stage.

i asked him about future price increases - ', don't know, we don't have them' -

is it easy to switch price plans? - 'i don't know' - he had to put me on hold for that one.

got my account details wrong 3 times, had to reread them out to him - 'no bother' again each time.

didn't seem to clear on what the unit rates even are now, had to ask many a question before he told me that the unit rates i was quoted were ex VAT.

i wasn't very inspired i have to say. but because there is a night meter being installed here today i am automatically put on the nightsaver rate. i will switch to 24hr i think as i won't be using approx 30% of my power between 23:00-07:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi all. OP here to update.

i went with ESB in the end, but the guy i spoke to on the phone was totally clueless and actually sounded hungover, heavy breathing down the phone, stuttering and mumbling, saying 'no bother no bother' to everything i said.I'm amazed he didn't use the word 'boss' at any stage.

i asked him about future price increases - ', don't know, we don't have them' -

is it easy to switch price plans? - 'i don't know' - he had to put me on hold for that one.

got my account details wrong 3 times, had to reread them out to him - 'no bother' again each time.

didn't seem to clear on what the unit rates even are now, had to ask many a question before he told me that the unit rates i was quoted were ex VAT.

i wasn't very inspired i have to say. but because there is a night meter being installed here today i am automatically put on the nightsaver rate. i will switch to 24hr i think as i won't be using approx 30% of my power between 23:00-07:00.

Nervous trainee on first time call? There's usually someone listening in... I know I nearly croaked it on my first ever "live" customer care call when I started working in a call centre a few years ago... it can be hard!

Advertisement