Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Irish ISP's provide the lowest latency/ping times??

• 27-08-2011 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

How ye nowwwww??

Which Irish ISP's provide the lowest latency/ping times??

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blindpew2

There's only one broadband provider in Ireland and that's UPC. The rest are only fast dial up servives.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Blindpew2 wrote: »
    There's only one broadband provider in Ireland and that's UPC. The rest are only fast dial up servives.

unfortunately upc is not an option for most locations outside of Dublin City and our largest towns and small cities. Drives me mad when people keep going on about upc but most of us cant and will never be able to get upc. Without upc, Eircom are propably the best pingwise. The ones to avoid are Vodaphone, wireless operators, mobile broadband and satellite broadband,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately upc is not an option for most locations outside of Dublin City and our largest towns and small cities. Drives me mad when people keep going on about upc but most of us cant and will never be able to get upc. Without upc, Eircom are propably the best pingwise. The ones to avoid are Vodaphone, wireless operators, mobile broadband and satellite broadband,

Fixed wireless can have much better ping times than dsl, it all depends on the provider and the quality of their network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

UPC provide the fastest broadband service in Ireland.

Nothing wrong with fixed wireless, as alternatives to mobile BB and Satellite; it's much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Except the largest two towns:p

Digiweb Metro is a good wireless service by most accounts, as are some regional ones like Net1, Airwire, Westnet etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Westnet has stunningly low pings and them in Mayo! So does Net1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While it is understandably annoying to you to keep hearing about UPC when you can't get it (me two and I live 2 miles from O'Connell St in Dublin), the reality is over 40% of people can, so it is always worth mentioning as the first port of call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

All the op has to do is to put somewhere in his/her post or sig that they cannot get UPC. Then everyone will know not to consider UPC in their replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Op: depends on where you game.

My experience as follows with eircom:

13ms to most of Ireland (8/512)

26-30ms to uk, 40-50 to Germany / netherlands, about 65ms to Sweden / dk

100ms to east coast of USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

I'm on Irish Broadband Breeze.

--- www.rte.ie.nsatc.net ping statistics ---
    20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19027ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 2.367/2.695/3.360/0.286 ms

--- www.bbc.net.uk ping statistics ---
    20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19029ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 15.323/15.538/16.043/0.224 ms

By far the lowest latency I've seen on any sort of Residential package. But good luck getting a new Breeze connection out of them, they'll probably try push Imagine WiMax (Don't do it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

daffy_duc wrote: »
    I'm on Irish Broadband Breeze.

--- www.rte.ie.nsatc.net ping statistics ---
    20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19027ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 2.367/2.695/3.360/0.286 ms

--- www.bbc.net.uk ping statistics ---
    20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19029ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 15.323/15.538/16.043/0.224 ms

By far the lowest latency I've seen on any sort of Residential package. But good luck getting a new Breeze connection out of them, they'll probably try push Imagine WiMax (Don't do it!)

With [EMAIL="VF@Home"]VF@Home[/EMAIL] - averaging 60ms for each! VF deny I have a ping issue!

Does anyone know if using a Homeplug impacts this severly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

homer911 wrote: »
    With [EMAIL="VF@Home"]VF@Home[/EMAIL] - averaging 60ms for each! VF deny I have a ping issue!

Does anyone know if using a Homeplug impacts this severly?

Homeplugs can affect connections in various ways depending on power line wiring used. Take the homeplugs out of the equation and test it then.

EDIT - just as a reference, my homeplugs added maybe 8ms - 20ms onto my ping time, and that was in a new-ish apartment with clean wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

Will give it a try and report back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

1463095641.png

46281521.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

nvm

Advertisement