Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on leaving cert science

• 27-08-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days I have made a personal decision which had been on my mind for a while. I am going into 5th year having just sat the Junior Cert and found it ok overall. I attend a small school, with only 2 science teachers, one of them only teaches physics l.c and j.c science while the other teaches the rest e.g biology, chemistry, junior cert science. I am a relatively good scholar who would average atleast an honour in every subject besides higher maths and science. Basically I have very little understanding of the 3 sciences and no appetite to either. A lot of this blame has to be placed at the door of my junior cert science teacher, (the bio, chem one )words can't describe her inaptitude for the subject. In the pres I did well in most subjects but not to my suprise I failed science. This got me into a bit off hot water at home, unfortunately I think I may have failed the junior cert science exam also. I found it incredible difficult to study for, as I didnt understand most of it and Im not one of those people who can learn by rote easily...Add to that the fact that I simply don't like the subject and the end product is not good.

Anyway after a lot of research and consideration I have decided that I will not be doing any science subject for the leaving cert. I will be doing English(h.l) Irish(h.l)French(h.l)Maths(o.l)History(h.l)Accounting(h.l) and Geography(h.l). The subjects I really enjoy are English and History while I generally "A" in French. I have been told at school by the career guidance teacher this is a bad idea as I am closing off opportunities for myself, but here is the deal. I have bo desire to be a doctor, dentist, science teacher, engineer phamacist and any other profession which is linked to the sciences or maths.

I enjoy literature and History and reading in general. I think I may like to go down the road of teaching English and History in secondary school, or primary teaching or possibly journalism. These are all areas that interest me greatly. Add to that the fact that if I do end up doing a science it is guaranteed to have a detrimental effect on the other subjects because it will take so much time to study for it, which in turn would push down my net points.

So basically I'm looking for opinions on this slightly taboo subject.(I should add that everyone I have spoken to has told me that I really should do a science)

P.S sorry about extra long post, I felt I had to get all that off my chest... And with school beckoning next week it really is decision time.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you don't want to do science, don't do science! Just check and make sure that any degree programs you are considering don't require a science subject! It's certainly not taboo nor unheard of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

A lot of courses require at least one laboratory science subject so I would do one. I only did biology and liked it.
    As long as you study its easy to get a good mark in. Chemistry is supposed to be the hardest science subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Can anyone confirm that you don't infact need a science subject to be a primary school teacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

Read this!

http://www.ncirl.ie/dynamic/File/Careers/0.%20Primary%20school%20teaching.pdf

You'd be better off doing a science subject. Read page 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Hmm, although I see where you're coming from with the hatred towards science is there any chance that you could change your mind? I was in your predicament two years ago, only I wanted to do all the business subjects (I was looking at studying commerce or law) however, just to satisfy everyone I took biology. I was never particularly good at the biology side of j.c science, but hey I loved it for the l.c. I now want nothing to do with business and everything to do with science, things can change, don't close all doors just yet is what I say, but hey you probably know better than me yourself.

• Advertisement

Patri wrote: »
    Hmm, although I see where you're coming from with the hatred towards science is there any chance that you could change your mind? I was in your predicament two years ago, only I wanted to do all the business subjects (I was looking at studying commerce or law) however, just to satisfy everyone I took biology. I was never particularly good at the biology side of j.c science, but hey I loved it for the l.c. I now want nothing to do with business and everything to do with science, things can change, don't close all doors just yet is what I say, but hey you probably know better than me yourself.

Thanks for that and you make good points. But in all honesty I can't see myself doing a full 360 and ending up hating english and history and loving biology. Its just that science just doesnt interest me, and I know that sounds like an uneducated thing to say, but I just really feel hell bent on not having science ruining my school and study experience like it did my junior cert one... Going to give a look at the article above now

mockshelp wrote: »
    Read this!

http://www.ncirl.ie/dynamic/File/Careers/0.%20Primary%20school%20teaching.pdf

You'd be better off doing a science subject. Read page 10.

So basically not doing science would rule out doing primary teaching in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I got brilliant advice a while back and it rapidly became my motto for life...do what you want and **** the rest. If you hate science don't do science!!!

On the other hand, I love science and ended up only being stuck with one, physics, and got economics instead of chemistry. Thought I'd hate economics but it's now came out as one of my stronger subjects.

In other words, LC science is a different world to JC science, so you never know, could end up liking something you thought you'd hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Before you make your final decision, do a little research on some of the careers and courses you may be interested in, e.g. primary school teaching. If any of them need a science, then maybe give it some consideration.

However if you really don't like science in any way shape or form and have no intention of choosing a career that involves physics, chemistry or biology, then don't torture yourself for leaving cert by picking a subject you don't like.

Not everyone is cut out to be a scientist, just as not everyone likes English and History. The fact that Arts in UCD is the largest third level course in the country with 1200 places would suggest there are quite a number of people who don't have an interest in studying science at third level or going into a career involving science.

I was given the same advice about Business subjects when I was going into fifth year 'you should take a business subject, otherwise you're cutting off a whole career area' I had no interest in doing business in college, and was sick to the back teeth of it after the junior cert. I never wanted to see another ledger for as long as I lived. I didn't take a business subject for LC and I've never regretted it for one minute. The only subjects I was interested in were science and languages, so I chose Biology, Phys/Chem combined, French, German and I never looked back. I enjoyed all of them for LC and now I'm a science teacher.

I have students in my classes every year who have no interest in my subject. They don't do a tap of work for the two years and sometimes as a result are disruptive to other students. Sometimes they are there because they didn't like any of the subjects on offer in that block, sometimes they are there because they were advised that they should take at least one science for leaving cert. So they pick ag science (my subject) because it's seen as the easiest of the four, and have a miserable two years. I give out because they haven't done the homework etc, they sulk because they hate the subject, and would have been better off picking the subject they actually liked, because they are never going to do anything with mine once they leave school. And sometimes they fail the subject because of all the above factors.

Course requirements aside, choose subjects you will enjoy studying and would like to continue studying at third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

It's kind of on the same wavelength as the poster above, but I also hated Science for Junior cert. My teacher was useless and it all seemed so confusing. In 2 weeks time I'm starting Science Education in Maynooth. I used hate Biology, all the rote learning and the flowers and all for the JC. It was my favourite subject for the leaving.

I'd advise to try and keep one science subject, Biology is the easiest to understand and the best when you don't think you're sciency! And it'll keep many doors open for you in 2 years time! :D

• Advertisement

My question really is what doors am I closing off by not doing a science? I have no interest whatsoever in doing anything sciency at third level and that is not about to change on a whim. I should also mention I detested Technical Graphics, I struggled with that for 3 years and have no intention of becoming an architect, engineer or anything of that ilk. I wouldn't be intelligent enough nor have enough desire to attempt to become a doctor, pharmacist or dentist. As I said above, the humanitarian subjects and languages appeal to me. I feel I would enjoy primary teaching, the lifestyle is great but alternatively passing on my love of English and History also is an attractive proposition. I love writing compositions and journalism appeals also and is something I would be passionate about... My head is spinning at the moment and I really want to make a decision soon so I can work towards that goal. Basically primary teaching interests me and I would like a simple yes/no answer on whether I can become a primary teacher not doing science at leaving cert level? It is my understanding that you can but I would like it confirmed...

Ps: Thanks to everyone for all the advice, really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Science is very different at Junior Cert. than it is for the LC, in my opinion. You've got to remember you're learning about three very different subjects briefly for the JC, it doesn't do any of them justice in my opinion. I got a B for the JC and I remember not having any interest in some parts of it at all and it was off-putting trying to bundle it all into one subject. I carried on Biology and Chemistry for the LC and I ended up getting A1's in them, they were my favourite subjects by far. It's nice to have a subject where you get to do experiments or watch demonstrations. It certainly gives you something to look forward to. I think I would have gone mental if I had three purely theory subjects like Business.

I do think you should keep on a science subject, your interests will change over the next two years and it's nice not to rule anything out.

Advertisement