Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc hook up time line?

• 27-08-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

so UPC engineers were hammering around my apartment complex this morning (thanks for the 8am wake up call lads ;-) ).
    They were also wiring the rest of the houses on my road. My question is, how long did it take people to get from that stage to the broad band being available when UPC rolled out in your area?
    I'm kind of wondering about cancelling my current broadband contract, I figure if I cancel that in the next week or so I don't need roll it over into another full month...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It could be a couple of months. I wouldn't go cancelling anything until you're sure that UPC is available, or you could be without broadband for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Had an "available now" letter in the door (hand delivered) about 2 weeks after they'd gone. However I couldn't order until 13 weeks after they'd gone. Even then, it took another 3 weeks to actually get the service. In my case, though, the sub-contractors had done a cowboy job, so there might have been an ongoing dispute delaying the process.

So if the sub-contractors do a decent job, the letter 2 weeks after the works had completed might be an indicator. Any complications, and those weeks turn to months very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JustinTables

I got that same wake up call back in January and I still can't get broadband.

Wouldn't go cancelling that contract just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

<sigh> Oh well, thanks for the info lads. They did say by October, if not sooner so hopefully its not going to be to much longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I was able to get it a few days after the contractors were finished in Lucan Village, but guess it does vary.

To be honest, unless you can time everythting perfectly, you will probably end up with a bit of an overlap on providers. For me this was fine, as I didn't want to be without service for any time what-so-ever. Be careful with a new area setup too, as there may be startup issues with UPC that a more established area wouldn't have - might only be a day or two, but you'd be internet free, which I assume is a no-no. Hence having a week or two overlap mightn't be the worst idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement