Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

gamercfc wrote: »
    How? From what I remember, you put the coin in, and the char' selection screen appeared, there you go. I don't remember a main menu or options menu being in the arcade machines......

That's because the costumers couldn't access it. It was there for the people who ran the machines and/or owned the arcades. It's a switch inside the machine that brings up a tone of options (volume, difficulty and a tone of other stuff). It also gives stats (most picked characters, longest win streak, "Kano transformations") and another load of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

How? From what I remember, you put the coin in, and the char' selection screen appeared, there you go. I don't remember a main menu or options menu being in the arcade machines......

Not for the players, for the arcade operators. They can set the difficulty at start-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Not for the players, for the arcade operators. They can set the difficulty at start-up.

Okay....Point almost taken....But I wouldn't imagine them setting it to Very Easy and I doubt they would've taken requests to turn the difficulty down just because the player sucked. Default setting I imagine would've been Normal.

This isn't arcade machines any more this is my own home, and the difficulty settings don't change anything. They all play the same way, the AI is as cheap as it is on either very easy or very hard. And I won't say it's because I'm not good enough. No, i'll say it, Cheap. Because that's what they are. And I've identified it so many times. Playing MK3 me vs. Jade. I done another test for myself. I stood still, and she stood still (but moved after 5 or 6 seconds if i was still idle). I moved right, she moved right at the EXACT same time of pressing the directional button. I move backwards, so did she, precisely the same time. I jump forward to kick, she jumps up at the exact same time of button input and kicks me straight back down. If i'm using scorpion and i use the spear, she runs at me with that white ghost manouver thing and hits me with a 5 or 6 hit combo... ANY other manouver I do I'm either lucky or she just destroys me.

I won't make excuses, because I do try my hardest at these games and I do get far sometimes but I can't beat them. I don't want to play very easy and have my fingers almost busted after the 3rd fight. They should patch it, definitly, to make the difficulty settings stand in for what they are meant to be. Very Easy should be exactly that, Very . Easy.. and the same goes for Medium and Very Hard. It's not fair for casual players like myself to not enjoy the games I was brought up playing. It's not enjoyable. I don't give two flying sh*ts if the'yre supposed to be the arcade ports. There is no excuse when you make the game unforgiving on Very Easy and the same amount of cheapness on Very Hard. There are no 20p coins going into the machines anymore. I have this game for good, and I want to enjoy it. Not get thrashed so horribly on the easiest difficulty setting. I'm not great at the games but for f*ck sake, i know how to f*cking play them, I know how to dodge attacks but not when It's near damn impossible for someone like me.

God!! lol :(

Uh, okay.

I think the problem here is probably rooted in the fact that fighting game AI is really hard to program.

So they just make it react to your button presses as you press them, and do the thing that beats your buttons. I think the only difference in difficult settings is how often they'll do it.

In fairness though, if you've paid for arcade ports of a game that was difficult as hell, you can't really complain that it's difficult as hell. You knew what you were paying for, I'm assuming?
    I bought Contra on XBLA a while ago because I heard it was hard as nails. It was just that, and it kicked my ass. But I knew what I was buying, so I'll just say "fair enough, it beat me"

• Advertisement

By the way, little pointer for UMK3 (not sure if it works on this version, as I haven't played it yet) if the computer floors you and you continue, it usually eases up a lot on the rematch. Next fight on will be rock hard again, lose it, continue, and you should breeze through it on the rematch.

I don't know. I didn't know what I was paying for aswell, I never played alot of arcades years ago and i just thought i was bad at them.

But my point is going to be narrowed down to this:

There is no difference when changing any of the difficulties, and I'm not the only person complaining becaus I may allegedly suck.

Like i said before. I do try, and normally, on a game, if i try, I will be superior. And I AM superior on games I was terrible on before and kept playing, and playing, and playing until i got better. Battlefield is a prime example as far as my own experience playing that game goes. I was diabolical at the game. But now I play alot better than I was at first. I can't see it changing on this MK collection though. It seems to be the same unforgiving bullsh*t i keep running into. I sometimes just turn MK3 off once I reach Jade because I know I won't beat her. And I haven't yet thus far.
    PS: Maybe superior is probably an overstatement. But I don't mean to sound as though I'm the best thing ever because I know I'm far from it. Superior just sounds good and I wanted an excuse to use it :P:cool:

There is no difference when changing any of the difficulties, and I'm not the only person complaining becaus I may allegedly suck.

Being able to beat the CPU opponents, and being good at the game have NOTHING to do with each other.

This is true of all fighting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Yeah I know that already boy I said that.

i aint your boy buddy :p

you asked for a answers and where given it so rather than argue with the people giving you answers to the questions you asked why not just say, "thanks for the info guys,i didnt know this stuff"

arcade games are hard,
    mk is hard,(and is a fair bit different than battelfield)
    play more,play people over cpu if can,get better,and let the goodtimes roll boy :D

Being able to beat the CPU opponents, and being good at the game have NOTHING to do with each other.

This is true of all fighting games.

No it isn't lad. Difficulty settings should do what their purpose entitles. Why am I having to say the same sh*t?? When on VERY EASY, you shouldn't have to worry TOO MUCH about having to be good at the game. It should be almost a breeze. EASY should be having the CPU have a slight attempt to fight back but not as much. MEDIUM should be basic, a fair fight as you will. HARD should be challenging, having you pay more attention to your opponent's moves. and VERY HARD should have you literally concentrate at your fullest.

NONE of these apply on this game. They all play the same way. And that's my gripe with it.

Everyone keeps sayin back to me "aw you just need to get better" or "you suck get over it" or "this game requires skill".

Well not directed at me but everyone else that are just like me on other sites.

And when i try to explain this, it goes in one ear and out of the other, because people who are true fans (or BLIND fans as I like to say) to the point where they won't accept any negativity (even if it is true) about the game and just defend it to the death. I like games for what they are, i really do. And I would like to say it about this game but I can't. I'm not crap, I don't suck, I'm not terrible. I've been playing video games for 20 years and one of my favourite genres of all time are fighting games. from MK right up to Tekken 6 amongst other fighters, I love all of them and I like to think I'm good at them. So I can rightly say that something isn't right when I'm getting blown off by cheap AI on the MK Arcade Collection.

I just wish there was someone to relate to with this because all I've seen so far are defensive excuses.

• Advertisement

i aint your boy buddy :p

you asked for a answers and where given it so rather than argue with the people giving you answers to the questions you asked why not just say, "thanks for the info guys,i didnt know this stuff"

arcade games are hard,
    mk is hard,(and is a fair bit different than battelfield)
    play more,play people over cpu if can,get better,and let the goodtimes roll boy :D

1: I won't say thanks for the info because you just stated the obvious to me

2: Yeah arcade games are hard. But don't put difficulty settings if you want it to play the same way

3: I have played plenty, and I shouldn't have to fecking practice to get better if I've played these games to the death for many years. Say it to a 14 yr old who's just getting into them but not to me. 20 years I've been a fighting game fan

4: I wasn't comparing MK to Battlefield. So I won't acknowledge that smart-a*se reply anymore.

5: I'm not trying to start an argument, the argument started later on because every answer I've been getting has been over-defensive and no1 will admit to it

Google it, I'm not the only one with the same problem here.

Again mods, I apologize for the double-post i need to stop that sorry.

No it isn't lad. Difficulty settings should do what their purpose entitles. Why am I having to say the same sh*t?? When on VERY EASY, you shouldn't have to worry TOO MUCH about having to be good at the game. It should be almost a breeze. EASY should be having the CPU have a slight attempt to fight back but not as much. MEDIUM should be basic, a fair fight as you will. HARD should be challenging, having you pay more attention to your opponent's moves. and VERY HARD should have you literally concentrate at your fullest.

NONE of these apply on this game. They all play the same way. And that's my gripe with it.

Everyone keeps sayin back to me "aw you just need to get better" or "you suck get over it" or "this game requires skill".

Well not directed at me but everyone else that are just like me on other sites.

And when i try to explain this, it goes in one ear and out of the other, because people who are true fans (or BLIND fans as I like to say) to the point where they won't accept any negativity (even if it is true) about the game and just defend it to the death. I like games for what they are, i really do. And I would like to say it about this game but I can't. I'm not crap, I don't suck, I'm not terrible. I've been playing video games for 20 years and one of my favourite genres of all time are fighting games. from MK right up to Tekken 6 amongst other fighters, I love all of them and I like to think I'm good at them. So I can rightly say that something isn't right when I'm getting blown off by cheap AI on the MK Arcade Collection.

I just wish there was someone to relate to with this because all I've seen so far are defensive excuses.

if u want to play a easier version of the game,play the original console versions or if you dont like the orignal AI play a person,problem solved,end of

its called the arcade kollection,its the direct arcade port,from how them were in the early 90s in the arcades, dont blame the game, its working excaly how it was made in the 1st place,not fanboyism-just fact

if u want to play a easier version of the game,play the original console versions or if you dont like the orignal AI play a person,problem solved,end of

its called the arcade kollection,its the direct arcade port,from how them were in the early 90s in the arcades, dont blame the game, its working excaly how it was made in the 1st place,not fanboyism-just fact

Well if that's the way it is then all I'm gona say is that the arcade ports are cons. If they're gona leave all difficulties the exact same despite changing any of them.

I tried to explain my problem and all I got was "it's SUPPOSED to be hard" that's wasn't even my issue. My issue is that all 5 difficulties in the game were no different from each other. Very easy was just as hard as Very hard. They played the same way. No difference. And no1 even took what I said into account. No, you're right. It isn't fanboyism. I never said it was.

My problem was the difficulty settings which shouldn't be there if they never made a difference. Absolutly nobody even noticed me saying that. All they saw were the words "cheap" "hard" "arcade" and "i suck" and jumped on it.

I give up trying to get simple answers. I'm gone off this. Too much defense being thrown by the blind.#

The arcade versions are cheap. And if they don't want to change how hard it was in the arcades, then patch it and remove the difficulty changing options because they're there for show.

DOUBLE POST AGAIN THIS IS THE LAST I SWEAR

Okay, okay, okay, okay oookay.

I have done more research. Game reviews, more player feedback rather than just bitches...

The games were designed as arcade games first before consoles I actually forgot about that completely.

The games were made to suck 50p coins. Causing it's extreme difficulty.

The games are in-fact made for hardcore MK fans. Which I'm not, I'm just a fan that knows alot about it.
    And they recommend newcomers to try out the console versions first before diving into these.

I'll keep playing the games more to see if I can get better I guess I wasn't expecting to have such a beat-down the first time round and it is only a week since i got it.

I'm done now. And my rant is finished. MK still rules

DOUBLE POST AGAIN THIS IS THE LAST I SWEAR

Okay, okay, okay, okay oookay.

I have done more research. Game reviews, more player feedback rather than just bitches...

The games were designed as arcade games first before consoles I actually forgot about that completely.

The games were made to suck 50p coins. Causing it's extreme difficulty.

The games are in-fact made for hardcore MK fans. Which I'm not, I'm just a fan that knows alot about it.
    And they recommend newcomers to try out the console versions first before diving into these.

I'll keep playing the games more to see if I can get better I guess I wasn't expecting to have such a beat-down the first time round and it is only a week since i got it.

I'm done now. And my rant is finished. MK still rules

so pretty much everthing me, deathrider and doom,baal said then,
    your welcome ;)

Bad moods man I've been in a bad mood all f***ing week I've thrown out two rants on these forums due to it.

Nitpicking is all I've been doing.

I don't hate the collection I just played it at the wrong time I was already píssed off at something outside it I just scapegoated the thing

I've a wild temper lol That's just Scots for ya we're angry cnuts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

:pac:
    Forget about the AI..fighting games are designed to be played against other human beings.
    From what I remember of MK and MK2 in arcade the AI setting was either set to handicapped or cheap as f**k

:pac:
    Forget about the AI..fighting games are designed to be played against other human beings.
    From what I remember of MK and MK2 in arcade the AI setting was either set to handicapped or cheap as f**k

For god sake just as I laid it to rest someone comes in and relates to me lol

I know, it's a pain in the ass but I'll try n get better. Hopefully lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just stop playing single player unless it's training mode. Play against other people.

Just stop playing single player unless it's training mode. Play against other people.

The whole subject is dropped man

• Advertisement

sadly there no training mode in the early mks but yea agree if want get better play people

sadly there no training mode in the early mks but yea agree if want get better play people

I'm kinda surprised they didn't add a training mode in for this release.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised they didn't add a training mode in for this release.

Yes, that's rather lazy, training mode is a must for any even slightly serious FG these days.

I agree. I'd probably spend more hours in the training rooms than in arcade modes these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I agree. I'd probably spend more hours in the training rooms than in arcade modes these days.

I never spend any time in arcade mode, tis kinda pointless.

I never spend any time in arcade mode, tis kinda pointless.

I still enjoy busting through arcade mode with each character in games to unlock their stories, or try to beat the hardest modes, or unlock achievements... Or because I have no other choice at the moment because my gold membership has run out :(

Just had a quick few fights in the demo for this. Now I'm wondering do I really need to eat for the next few days, or should I just blow the last of my cash on this :P

(hmmm, doesn't look like there's much chance of breathing life back into this thread, but here goes...)

Downloaded this one today, and I've been having an absolute blast with it. I've been wondering a bit if they really are "arcade perfect" conversions, but then I stop wondering because I'm simply having far to much fun to really give a crap either way.

And for 800microsoft points- Steal!!

(hmmm, doesn't look like there's much chance of breathing life back into this thread, but here goes...)

still not out on psn eu :mad:
    only can play this when go up my brothers at the mo so i havnt got back into 2 full tilt yet,im still kinda bitter my mk trilogy disc broke :mad:
    i only noticed yesterday they have a move list in mkak :eek:

when get it on my own console when this thread will be alot more busy ;)

• Advertisement

Still not out? Jesus, they really screwed up there, sepecially since PS was supposed to have it a day early too. Yeah, full moves list. Proper full, like. Animalities and combos and everything.

So here's my verdict anyways:

Mortal Kombat- Let's be honest, folks, it's shabby. Heavy and clunky, but there's still some fun to be had in this one. Also, I got a great kick (more a punch) out of seeing new Goro animations. Ones that didn't appear on the Snes version and were new to these eyes. Also, it's the full blooded version of MK, so wahehey!

MKII- I honestly think that if you dislike MKII, you've got some serious problems, and should probably get youself checked out :p I've played more games over the years than is humanly healthy, and very very few of them have been more fun than this.

UMK3- Kinda disappointed that it's not the regular MK3 (because I already own too many versions of UMK3, including the old XBLA release), but I got stuck into it anyways. I'm not sure if it's all just in my head, or because it's an "arcade perfect" port, or even because I'm playing stick, but I found this to be the best version of UMK3 I've ever played. I was never really a fan of this game, but I had me a ball playing it tonight. I really can't put my finger on why though, it just seemed like so much fun. Also, the AI opponents don't seem as rough on this version as on home versions, which seems odd to me.

-End happy rant.

Advertisement