Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€200 iPhone Upgrade on O2 or Free on Meteor?

Options
  • 27-08-2011 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I may be misinterpreting the information here, but...

I have had a couple of iPhones on O2 for a few years now (2G, 3GS) and am now due a Gold Upgrade. I have been thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 4 (I know the 5/4GS is just around the corner, and will probably wait for that, but...) but on O2 with my Gold Upgrade, the 16GB iPhone 4 is still €200. The Price Plans are rubbish because they are either too high or too low. The Data Allowances are rubbish.

However, if I jump ship completely to Meteor, I will get an iPhone 4 for free with some nice price plans and 5Gb data.

Am I wrong here? Am I missing something? The carrier to whom I have been contracted for approximately 3 years is offering me the phone for €200 as a thank you for my loyalty, while Meteor, the cheeky wee upstart, wants to give it to me for free.

Does this picture look right to everybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I know O2 have also been ringing some customers with an offer of a free iphone 4 on a 24month contract but I have to agree with Capt. The networks will do anything to get you first and little much to try to keep you as most customers are slow to leave once they've joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My brother was offered this "deal" of an iPhone for 200 Euro on O2 recently. He told the O2 sales rep that he could get it for free with Meteor, so O2 gave him the phone for free. And I don't think he would be a heavy user.

Definitely worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    My brother was offered this "deal" of an iPhone for 200 Euro on O2 recently. He told the O2 sales rep that he could get it for free with Meteor, so O2 gave him the phone for free. And I don't think he would be a heavy user.

Definitely worth trying.

It did occur to me that I could do that. I'm sure once O2 realise a customer is about to jump ship because of a better deal, they will offer them what is necessary to keep them.

However, I'm going to hold out to see what the offers are with the next gen iPhone, if any. I risk missing out on good iPhone 4 offers, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too long before something decent comes out. The €45 tariff on Meteor looks very attractive, mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not 100% certain, but I think it was 18 month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

cojobt wrote: »
    It did occur to me that I could do that. I'm sure once O2 realise a customer is about to jump ship because of a better deal, they will offer them what is necessary to keep them.

However, I'm going to hold out to see what the offers are with the next gen iPhone, if any. I risk missing out on good iPhone 4 offers, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too long before something decent comes out. The €45 tariff on Meteor looks very attractive, mind you.

Have you looked at what three offer? Think they offer the best deal tbh, and they're €40 p/m, free phone, 15GB data etc.

Comparison: http://www.three.ie/iphone/compare-network.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭bop1977

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Not 100% certain, but I think it was 18 month.

It's a 24 month contract at 35 euro a month. The contract is 250 mins and texts, 250 web texts and 250mb data. The last contract was 150 min/texts and unlimited data for e40 per month for 18 months. They didn't put up any fight when I said I would sign up for 2 years but only with a free iPhone.

Advertisement