Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers??

Options
  • 27-08-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Looking for a good broadband provider.I'm with Eircom at the minute but I cant even upgrade to 3mb broadband as the line cant hold it.Anyone have any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Looking for a good broadband provider.I'm with Eircom at the minute but I cant even upgrade to 3mb broadband as the line cant hold it.Anyone have any suggestions??

Website called www.bonkers.ie is a price comparison site, deals with phone/broadband/electricity/etc. Specifically for Ireland. Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sundancekid91

Thanks Catreyn. Thats a very helpful website alright. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Where are you ? Not everybody can supply every area. I can only get one ISP where i live.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Anyone with QSat? Any good?

red sean wrote: »
    Where are you ? Not everybody can supply every area. I can only get one ISP where i live.

I'm in the Carraroe area.I had the line tested and it can only handle speeds of 2mb which is sh*t!Would going wireless help or does anyone have any recommendations??thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I'm in the Carraroe area.I had the line tested and it can only handle speeds of 2mb which is sh*t!Would going wireless help or does anyone have any recommendations??thanks for the help.

Satellite is you new best friend lol. Na there is a snag on that it cant support voIP or so i read there is a slight delay. But they come fairly good now days Here check out this link hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

If you can get UPC I find them terrific. I get 30mb down and almost 3mb up

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

I'm on mailcoach road and I've WiMax, 7mb for 35 per month. I think it great value when compared with Eircom.

Thanks for everyones help!one thing i know is I wont sign up with Eircom again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Surely WiMax would use the same phone line so if it's only capable of 2MB the OP wouldn't be able to get anymore then that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Thanks for everyones help!one thing i know is I wont sign up with Eircom again!

You may not have much choice if the phone line can only handly 2mb (like my line does) then unless you get fastcom you dont really have an option. You are prob to far from town to get a decent three connection. I have Vodafone DSL so I get landline calls and BB for 35 a month, I cannot justify getting rid of it at that price as i cannot get anythign above 3MB.

Mind you it went down for the first time ever last night and I am with them about 3 years.

No Wimax is not run over phone lines, its a 4G signal. aka next gen broadband. You get a Motorola wireless 4G router and all you do it hook a standard analogue phone into it and your computers. Works perfectly. I have speed tested it many times and I always get inexcess of 7mb.

Look up their website for further info but I highly recommend it over eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

davebirl wrote: »
    No Wimax is not run over phone lines, its a 4G signal. aka next gen broadband. You get a Motorola wireless 4G router and all you do it hook a standard analogue phone into it and your computers. Works perfectly. I have speed tested it many times and I always get inexcess of 7mb.

Oh really? I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
    We are with UTV, up the phone line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

davebirl wrote: »

Hi davebirl, What's the upload speed like?

Upload speed is no great shakes, its about 512k max. It was the download speed sold it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Anyone in the Caltragh, Knocknaganny, Crozon area have UPC? I have been with UTV for years, but just got an email saying I was nearing my download limit for the month. Can't understand why, as I have not changed my useage. So was thinking of changing provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Anyone in the Caltragh, Knocknaganny, Crozon area have UPC? I have been with UTV for years, but just got an email saying I was nearing my download limit for the month. Can't understand why, as I have not changed my useage. So was thinking of changing provider.

Have you a Wifi network set up at home? Because if it's not secure, then someone could piggy back your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Have you a Wifi network set up at home? Because if it's not secure, then someone could piggy back your network.

Yes, I have a Netgear Router, which should be secure as I need to enter a password to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You may have encryption enabled, but I hope you know that WEP has been been widely hacked. WPA is much more secure and if you have the WPA2 encryption option available on your router? Then opt for that. Just make sure that other devices on your netwrok are also changed to the same encryption level. However if all you have is WEP, then it is better than nothing and it will keep casual snoopers and novice hackers out of your wireless network.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

i live about about 6km outside sligo on the donegal side.
    Before i changed over to Eircoms NGB all i could get was around '1.5 mb'
    download speed which was very annoying,always slow after 8pm.
    I upgrades to the NGB version of this and even though i only get around
    the same speed it does make a huge difference, speed remains constant and buffering is kept to a minimum.
    So for anyone who has broadband at a minimum make sure it is NGB enabled...it does make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

mobil 222 wrote: »
    i live about about 6km outside sligo on the donegal side.
    Before i changed over to Eircoms NGB all i could get was around '1.5 mb'
    download speed which was very annoying,always slow after 8pm.
    I upgrades to the NGB version of this and even though i only get around
    the same speed it does make a huge difference, speed remains constant and buffering is kept to a minimum.
    So for anyone who has broadband at a minimum make sure it is NGB enabled...it does make a difference.

What you are trying to say is you moved to Eircom and now have less contention ratio than before, meaning less people on the same line from the exchange hence a slightly more stable connection. The likes of vodafone and bt use the same lines but more people share the bandwidth than eircom users but you pay extra for eircom.
    Eircom NGB was just a change in the way they charge for bb , you generally get a 10GB cap on the basic pack and will pay sweet for any extra data. I m guessing streaming a movie on decent quality would be about 1GB.

Be careful of Eircom sale people at the moment, I had someone at the door guarantee me at least 5MB if I went back. Only thing is at the moment the line wont go over 1.5MB , if i took the chance I would loose the deal I am on which is 39 for 3MB plus calls from vodafone. If the link wont go over 1.5 now its not vodafones fault its the line so Eircom cannot give the 5MB unless there is an upgrade coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

You may have encryption enabled, but I hope you know that WEP has been been widely hacked. WPA is much more secure and if you have the WPA2 encryption option available on your router? Then opt for that. Just make sure that other devices on your netwrok are also changed to the same encryption level. However if all you have is WEP, then it is better than nothing and it will keep casual snoopers and novice hackers out of your wireless network.

What he said, WEP is so so easy to hack. WPA is a far securer encryption

Advertisement