Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 40+ Martial arts beginners out there?

• 27-08-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm a 41 year old man and I'm planning on beginning to learn a MA in the next month or so. Aside from a couple of months Escrima training last year, I am a complete MA novice.

Some of the arts I've been considering are FMA, Kenpo, Shotokan Karate, Shaolin Kung Fu, Aikido or some martial form of Tai Chi.
    I've enquired about Capoeira for my daughter and while I was at it, asked about the idea of someone my age starting as a beginner. I was assured that they have a "72 year old guy who only started a few years ago". I am very sceptical that a 41 year man like me could ever do anything other than make a fool of themselves trying to learn capoeira let alone a 72 year old!

I've contacted a few different clubs who teach different arts asking about beginning at my age and I have got a few "72 year old miracle" type responses. It's also croped up when I have posted about this on MAP. I've also go this "age doesn't mater response" which I find a bit simplistic and unrealistic. Perhaps I'm being too negative?

Anyway, I just reckon that there must be certan arts which are more suited to the "older" beginner than others and that is what I am trying to figure out. I want to be challenged physically and mentally and I also want to learn some real self-defence skills but I don't want to be foolhardy. For example: I know full contact is really the way to go and the idea appeals to me but ,being a 41 year old with responsibilities, I am also very wary.

I would love to hear from any older beginners out there (if there are any) about their experiences. If anybody wants to make any club reccomendations, bare in mind that I am in Dublin 4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It depends but generally you're right, you'll always find people will say stuff like "we have a 55 year old guy training full contact xyz style with us, so it's no hassle". They don't mention that the 55 year old is an ex lumberjack triathlete green beret or something as opposed to an ordinary joe :D. There is a reason that you see far more people still training stuff like aikido and tai chi right past middle age and into their advanced years.

FMA is an excellent option for the older person as your skill set is not as reliant on physical conditioning and attributes but you can still go all out if you want. Plenty of maestro's were able to play with younger guys well into their pensionable years.

Aikido could be too, depending on the school. IMO aikido can be excellent for staying supple and limber well into your advance years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Friend of mine started Muay Thai when he was about 35. He was quite fit and lean before hand would have been in the gym fairly often, say 4 or 5 times a week, 5 a side maybe once or twice a week. That kinda thing. From what he told me, he found it fairly tough going at the start, didn't have the flexibility for kicking, or the reaction times of the younger guys. Hes still going it now at 42. He single though, so lots of free time, and wasn't carrying any injuries when he started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Malpaisian wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm a 41 year old man and I'm planning on beginning to learn a MA in the next month or so. Aside from a couple of months Escrima training last year, I am a complete MA novice.

Some of the arts I've been considering are FMA, Kenpo, Shotokan Karate, Shaolin Kung Fu, Aikido or some martial form of Tai Chi.
    I've enquired about Capoeira for my daughter and while I was at it, asked about the idea of someone my age starting as a beginner. I was assured that they have a "72 year old guy who only started a few years ago". I am very sceptical that a 41 year man like me could ever do anything other than make a fool of themselves trying to learn capoeira let alone a 72 year old!

I've contacted a few different clubs who teach different arts asking about beginning at my age and I have got a few "72 year old miracle" type responses. It's also croped up when I have posted about this on MAP. I've also go this "age doesn't mater response" which I find a bit simplistic and unrealistic. Perhaps I'm being too negative?

Anyway, I just reckon that there must be certan arts which are more suited to the "older" beginner than others and that is what I am trying to figure out. I want to be challenged physically and mentally and I also want to learn some real self-defence skills but I don't want to be foolhardy. For example: I know full contact is really the way to go and the idea appeals to me but ,being a 41 year old with responsibilities, I am also very wary.

I would love to hear from any older beginners out there (if there are any) about their experiences. If anybody wants to make any club reccomendations, bare in mind that I am in Dublin 4.

Hi,

One of the things I like about Wing Tsun is that there are no limitations when it comes to age. There are no high kicks (the highest kick is waist height) and there are no what could be called acrobatic moves. We have schools in Dublin City Centre and Blanchardstown. Visit www.wingtsun.ie

I would also back up what Bambi said about Escrima.

Some older people can do some arts as they started at the age of 4. Others start after 40 but they never really become good at it. I feel with Wing Tsun and Escrima you can start after 40 and thrive. One of my guys started Wing Tsun is his 40s and is doing great. He is an assistant instructor and is grading today. http://www.wingtsun.ie/Barry.html

I hope this helps.

Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

You can start, and more importantly, learn at pretty much the same pace as others, at any age. IMO though, as you get older some MA will be harder - high kicks, flexibility, etc. I am 50 and not fit. However, I have done Tai Chi in the past and loved it. Seriously thinking of taking it up again. My 2 cents, FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Hi,

One of the things I like about Wing Tsun is that there are no limitations when it comes to age. There are no high kicks (the highest kick is waist height) and there are no what could be called acrobatic moves. We have schools in Dublin City Centre and Blanchardstown. Visit www.wingtsun.ie

I would also back up what Bambi said about Escrima.

Some older people can do some arts as they started at the age of 4. Others start after 40 but they never really become good at it. I feel with Wing Tsun and Escrima you can start after 40 and thrive. One of my guys started Wing Tsun is his 40s and is doing great. He is an assistant instructor and is grading today. http://www.wingtsun.ie/Barry.html

I hope this helps.

Michael

Yeah, I am aware of the I.E.W.T.O and I plan on checking out classes in Molesworth Hall. Do most members learn both arts? Do the I.E.W.T.O do any sparring. I am thinking particularly of Escrima. Do they ever have sparring with the padded sticks, gloves, headgear etc? What level of sparring do they have with Wing Tsun?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Friend of mine started Muay Thai when he was about 35. He was quite fit and lean before hand would have been in the gym fairly often, say 4 or 5 times a week, 5 a side maybe once or twice a week. That kinda thing. From what he told me, he found it fairly tough going at the start, didn't have the flexibility for kicking, or the reaction times of the younger guys. Hes still going it now at 42. He single though, so lots of free time, and wasn't carrying any injuries when he started.

Muay Thai is definitely one MA I'll be giving a miss! I probably would have thrived on it when I was younger but not now.

Bambi wrote: »

FMA is an excellent option for the older person as your skill set is not as reliant on physical conditioning and attributes but you can still go all out if you want. Plenty of maestro's were able to play with younger guys well into their pensionable years.

Aikido could be too, depending on the school. IMO aikido can be excellent for staying supple and limber well into your advance years.

Speaking of schools: Do you know anything about the Whitefriar school? Do they have a good reputation? What style of Aikido do they teach? There is no mention of it(that I can find) on their website?

Great Vids BTW. It's funny that it's the younger guy wearing the headgear!

Speaking of schools: Do you know anything about the Whitefriar school? Do they have a good reputation? What style of Aikido do they teach? There is no mention of it(that I can find) on their website?

FWIR They wouldn't be considered as particularly martial, they would have a lot of people training at 40 and beyond, and would be well regarded for being very inclusive. Style wise it's traditional aikido.

Bambi wrote: »
    FWIR They wouldn't be considered as particularly martial, they would have a lot of people training at 40 and beyond, and would be well regarded for being very inclusive. Style wise it's traditional aikido.

Do you know which Aikido clubs in Dublin(if any)would be considered as being more martial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Every student I different, 41 is not a problem, I've cone across 20 yearolds that probably couldn't lift 10kg whose knees look like they would snap with the slightest pressure! I had to tailor training for them and most were able to fight Sanshou (fullcontact with throws) within 6 months.
    As for full contact sparring, don't worry, it's more of a demon before you actually do it! Personally I tend to have beginners spar with me, so basically it allows them to go as gar as they want while I would tend to offer them opportunities for kick takedowns or what ever until they get used to the format, and after a few months ease them into sparring with other students, allowing te more experienced to defend only, with jabs permitted to the forehead, so the beginner starts to learn to respect range, angle timing guard etc., most people regardless of age are usually afraid at first but inevitably after some time the perceived violence of heavy sparring becomes seen instead as an art!
    There are certainly arts that can be a lifelong pursuit and also there are exceptional people who can train "more attritious" arts to old age.
    That being said I teach tai chi, and realistically although many practice the art without sparring, I don't believe that you can have the necessary skill in timing angle and range without it. So though the techniques can be "soft" ie avoiding resistance, the skill to pull them off, is if anything is more demanding than simpler direct arts, and only a good deal of sparring will give you the natural ability to deal instantly with the scope of possible attacks, it will allow you to minimise your outlook to principle instead of technique.
    Though don't rush to the endline, there is an element of "lies to children" in most martial arts, where first you're taught stuff that could be "blown up" / magnified to teach you a fundamental skill, that will later be tightened up to make it practical.
    This is nothing new, watch how a boxer is taught to hook, with all the weight transfer and twisting on toes etc., then find me a single example of this in world class pro boxing.
    Good luck, and enjoy it!

• Advertisement

Do you know which Aikido clubs in Dublin(if any)would be considered as being more martial?

No idea about these days, you'd have to ask someone who's involved in aikido

Yeah, I am aware of the I.E.W.T.O and I plan on checking out classes in Molesworth Hall. Do most members learn both arts? Do the I.E.W.T.O do any sparring. I am thinking particularly of Escrima. Do they ever have sparring with the padded sticks, gloves, headgear etc? What level of sparring do they have with Wing Tsun?

Hi,

Most students in the IEWTO only study Wing Tsun and the arts are taught seperately. Regarding sparring, students with me start on night one however the contact and intensity is kept very light. Within the beginners programme (first six months), students spend 15 mins each night sparring. They spend a minute or two defending against a left staight punch (for example) and then the same against a right straight punch. Then a minute or two defending against either a left or a right so there are two variables. Then more variables are gradually introduced one at a time such as hooks, low punches, etc. As they get more experience the pressure increases so that they are challanged but don't get frustrated.

Regards,

Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi

Another option you have is Silat. The art blends itself around each person ability and so no matter what age, you can get good development in the art. The majority of my students would be in there late 30's early 40's which seems to the age when most people appreciate silat.

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

As far as I know there's no Aikido in D4.... you're welcome to come and have a look at our classes to see if they're what you're looking for - www.henshinaikido.com. 6 week beginners course runs on Mondays and starts at 8pm, so if you're driving, you'd be here in 20 mins. The age group of the regular Aikido classes is from 20 to about 60 years old.

MaeveD wrote: »
    As far as I know there's no Aikido in D4.... you're welcome to come and have a look at our classes to see if they're what you're looking for - www.henshinaikido.com. 6 week beginners course runs on Mondays and starts at 8pm, so if you're driving, you'd be here in 20 mins. The age group of the regular Aikido classes is from 20 to about 60 years old.

Thanks, but Clonshaugh is just too far away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Malpaisian, being 45 myself and having done a reasonable amount of MA training over the last decade as well as when I was in my twenties, I'd say there are certain differences that come with age. The main one is probably recovery time, where knocks that would have taken a day to get over start taking two or three days. This means you have to train a bit smarter and avoid going full tilt all the time. Personally, I've found in my 40s I'm slower, heavier but also quite a bit stronger and a lot more stubborn than when I was younger.

Style wise, I'd say try all the available classes within range, starting nearest first. IMHO, a good class is much more about the instructor and how you fit in with the rest of the group, rather than the style. If you enjoy it, you'll put more in and get more out. You'll find out quick enough if a class does not suit you, and I wouldn't go ruling out any given style without at least visiting the class first. If there are a couple more people of your own age group and ability doing the class, then the class is very doable. Style names, e.g. tai chi chuan, can also cover a very wide range of sins, so you really need to see first hand what people are taught in a given class. Many places will also give you a free trial class to see if it is your thing.

And always remember Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

smacl wrote: »
    Malpaisian, being 45 myself and having done a reasonable amount of MA training over the last decade as well as when I was in my twenties, I'd say there are certain differences that come with age. The main one is probably recovery time, where knocks that would have taken a day to get over start taking two or three days. This means you have to train a bit smarter and avoid going full tilt all the time. Personally, I've found in my 40s I'm slower, heavier but also quite a bit stronger and a lot more stubborn than when I was younger.

Style wise, I'd say try all the available classes within range, starting nearest first. IMHO, a good class is much more about the instructor and how you fit in with the rest of the group, rather than the style. If you enjoy it, you'll put more in and get more out. You'll find out quick enough if a class does not suit you, and I wouldn't go ruling out any given style without at least visiting the class first. If there are a couple more people of your own age group and ability doing the class, then the class is very doable. Style names, e.g. tai chi chuan, can also cover a very wide range of sins, so you really need to see first hand what people are taught in a given class. Many places will also give you a free trial class to see if it is your thing.

And always remember Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

sounds like good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

There's a woman in our club who joined us in her first martial arts class last year at 46. She's doing amazingly well. :D

The good thing about a newcomer to a martial art of any kind means they have no old habits to erase.
    Best of luck in your path of martial arts :)

Kathleen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I'm a 43 year old male, 183cm and 95kg. I do 3 one hour training sessions a week for general fitness usually a 5km run on the treadmill + 2.5km rowing.

I did a year of Jiu-Jitsu training when I lived in London almost 20 years ago and for many years have thought about taking it up again but between work and a young family never got round to it. This post is the first step towards rectifying that.

Given the above can you give me your candid opinion on whether or not it is practical for me to effectively go back to day one white belt status and start training again?

If there's no reason I shouldn't give it another go then I'd appreciate any thoughts people have on the http://www.jiu-jitsu-ireland.org club in Westwood Leopardstown? Given my age etc I want to make sure whatever club I join is well run and well established.

Looking forward to getting your help here guys.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭raglinroad

Had two women in their 40's join our club about 10 years ago. They got their black belt and now run their own club concentrating on self-defense for women. They're doing really well for themselves.

Also have another guy nearly 50 now, who was a purple belt when I left the club 5 years ago. Now I'm back at the club and he's a blue belt. Turns up when he can and enjoys the training. Says he's in no rush lol. But can go missing for a few months at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 goran pavlovic

I am setting up a small class to practice and teach internal kung fu fundamentals, chi kung and Taoist meditation.

Classes will be held once a week in one of two locations in Leeson st. or Pembrook rd. Classes will start at 8 pm and finish at 10 pm. The number of places in the group is limited to 8 by the practice room size.
    Price is 15 euro per class.

I will teach:

Internal kung fu fundamental standing and moving practices, used for development of whole body power, gripping and pinching power, cavity pressing power, low kicking power, no distance striking power, stability, speed, sensitivity, responsiveness.

Chi kung exercises for:
    1. Opening of the joints (opening energy gates)
    2. Strengthening tendons and ligaments (exchange of tendons)
    3. Energy gathering set
    4. Energy opening set
    5. Energy closing and storing set
    6. 8 pieces of brocade healing set
    7. 6 healing sounds set

Sitting, standing and walking Taoist meditation.
    From the martial point of view, I will teach clearing and expanding of the mind in order to increase the awareness and responsiveness.

If you are interested, please send an email to goranpavlovic@eircom.net or call 0879968225

Is it aimed at beginners?

The practices that I will teach are the fundamental practices. They are what you should start with, in order to develop internal fighting skills. And keep practicing them because these practices also contain hidden deeper layers. This is intermediate and senior stuff but I will also explain it to all, because it is pointless practicing without understanding why you are doing what you are doing. The point of practicing is to get to this advanced knowledge, and acquire it. The exercise on the outside might look the same, but the internal structural and energy processes change as the understanding of the exercise deepens, and your body is able to better deal with it.
    So everyone can do these exercises, but what you get from them will depend on your mind and body state, not necessarily on your previous martial arts experience. The important thing is that these exercises are designed to develop both your body and your mind in a controlled, gradual and safe way.

...This is intermediate and senior stuff ......

I'm going to take that as no, its not for beginners. Though it sounds very interesting.

The answer in short is yes it is aimed at beginners, but also at intermediates and seniors.

As I said i will teach beginners the top most, obvious layer. I will teach intermediates and seniors deeper and more advanced layers. Once they can understand and do the beginners level.
    I taught both beginners and intermediates and seniors privately. The set of exercises is the same. The level of detail, the dept, the applications that are explained and taught are different depending on the level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is another good option. It's very low impact discounting takedowns from standing and it's great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Dermighty wrote: »
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is another good option. It's very low impact discounting takedowns from standing and it's great fun.

+1

We've plenty of 40+ gents in our gym (50+ too actually) doing BJJ. It's the only art I've ever come across where a 50+ man can outlast and beat a 20 year old consistently. It's pretty cool to see.

The answer in short is yes it is aimed at beginners, but also at intermediates and seniors.

As I said i will teach beginners the top most, obvious layer. I will teach intermediates and seniors deeper and more advanced layers. Once they can understand and do the beginners level.
    I taught both beginners and intermediates and seniors privately. The set of exercises is the same. The level of detail, the dept, the applications that are explained and taught are different depending on the level.

Hi Goran,

Good luck with the classes. What style of internal Kung-Fu do you teach? Tai Chi, Baqua, Xing Yi?

Regards,

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    It's the only art I've ever come across where a 50+ man can outlast and beat a 20 year old consistently.

Gi or nogi or both? Dont think we've anyone that age in our gym maybe bar one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Interesting. For me, the competitive wrestling aspect of tai chi, i.e. tui shou with no grips to clothing allowed, is great fun and relatively low impact. I found adding the jacket (shuai jiao) made it quite a bit more difficult, and easier to pick up knocks. I think the reason for this is that the grips on the jackets make escapes that bit more difficult and facilitate a wider range of full body throws, where you can use strength to help force through a technique. Then again, it could just be down to the fact that I'm crap at shuai jiao.

For the judoka out there, how does Judo fare impact and injury wise? To me, it always looked like great fun, but hard on the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Gi mainly but some no gi too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

smacl wrote: »

For the judoka out there, how does Judo fare impact and injury wise? To me, it always looked like great fun, but hard on the body.

Well its hard to find a judoka who is not carrying an injury, its a genuinely tough style to choose.

As has been stated often, it does have a steep learning curve and I guess I should mention for someone in their 40's who are thinking of starting.

Its not impossible, but you should bare in mind that its a competitive style and you'll have to fight at a national level for your blue, brown and black belts.

That said at last Saturdays dan grading the oldest judoka to achieve their first dan (black belt) was 49yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭raglinroad

Doing Kenpo in D.12 if anyone is interested give me a shout.

We've trained people from the age of 5 to over 50's. Good atmosphere, tough training, vast system - forms, sets, self-defence, and sparring.

Advertisement