Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here do creative writing?

Options
  • 28-08-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

This module REALLY interests me. I love writing short stories and I am working on a horror novel at the moment. (just for fun really...).

Anyway, has anyone here taken Creative Writing as an elective, and if so...how was it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Hey there,

I did Creative Writing in third year. The guy who teaches it is probably one of the nicest, genial chaps you'll come across in UCD. Your first class basically runs like this, you all sit around a table in a fairly 'cosy'-sized room and he'll hand out a particular text. Could be a short story, could be a monologue, could be something written from a child's point of view. Then you all discuss it and you're homework will be to produce something of a similar style/type.
    Each week after that, you'll have a chance to read your work aloud, though no one was forced to, and someone else can read yours for you if you like. This was VERY daunting at the start, but once people start reading, you begin to hear some really clever, interesting ideas.
    The class isn't all that strenuous - the toughest part will just be the nerves. Your graded by a folder of work at the end of the semester, but it merely consists of each week's assignments so it's a breeze. You'll solely be judged on how well you understood and produced eight or nine different styles of writing.
    Good luck with it, it's a very different, enjoyable sort of class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Thanks for the reply An Cuinneach - that sounds like a very enjoyable elective.

There's only 27 places for it though and nearly 200 people have applied for it - wish me luck that I'm lucky enough to be one of the 27 to get it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

That's the only snag - it's such a cool elective that a lot of people go for it. They usually have it on in both semesters though so that gives you an extra chance!

Best of luck with it!! :)

Advertisement