Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Safety of Dublin City?!

Options
  • 28-08-2011 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

So I'm moving to the city soon for my Masters course starting in the end of september.

Now I'm 22, I've never been in a fight in my life. My hometown is pretty damn safe, I'd be happy to walk the streets at 3 in the morning no problem; so I was just wondering how cautious I should be regarding safety etc. in the city. Tbh stuff like this going on every day has me a little freaked out. I don't really wanna be randomly assaulted by drunk (or sober) scumbags, and was wondering if this kinda thing happens a lot in peoples experience?, Or is it a case of if you mind your own business you probably won't be bothered?

I know someone from Dublin who has been mugged 7 count 'em 7 times (once right in front of me -- long story). So much so he won't walk down a dark alley on his own now the poor lad. I don't wanna end up like him in a years time.

My brother used to live in Dublin, and a few times when he was lying in (sponging off the government), random people would try and kick his door in. Again, something you don't really get in my town!!

Comments

So I'm moving to the city soon for my Masters course starting in the end of september.

Now I'm 22, I've never been in a fight in my life. My hometown is pretty damn safe, I'd be happy to walk the streets at 3 in the morning no problem; so I was just wondering how cautious I should be regarding safety etc. in the city. Tbh stuff like this going on every day has me a little freaked out. I don't really wanna be randomly assaulted by drunk (or sober) scumbags, and was wondering if this kinda thing happens a lot in peoples experience?, Or is it a case of if you mind your own business you probably won't be bothered?

I know someone from Dublin who has been mugged 7 count 'em 7 times (once right in front of me -- long story). So much so he won't walk down a dark alley on his own now the poor lad. I don't wanna end up like him in a years time.

My brother used to live in Dublin, and a few times when he was lying in (sponging off the government), random people would try and kick his door in. Again, something you don't really get in my town!!

Bizarre post, IMO. I've lived in this city for over 30 years, and I'd consider it safe - safer than some places I've been around Ireland on a Friday night, that's for sure.

Dublin is like most cities. It doesn't do to be completely absent-minded walking around some parts of the city, particularly late at night, and it has some places that are worse than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I was just wondering how cautious I should be regarding safety
    Try to get into the habit of always being cautious regarding your safety, no matter what part of the world you happen to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Start by renting somewhere where having your door kicked is not the normal experience. The last thing you want to do is run the scumbag gauntlet everytime you walk home.

Thereafter you do what you do in any city. Keep your eyes open and generally try to be in places which are reasonably well lit. That last tenner is better spent on a taxi home than your 15th and 16th drink.

BTW

(1) It is an urban myth that a gang of dublin scumbags confronted by one lone student will back off when you say "come on then you f""king skangers who wants to be first"

(2) The correct answer to the question "what are you looking at?" is not "I'm sorry I'm not studying veterinary medicine".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Same as any big city, go to safe places + safe areas and use common sense and you'll be ok. I have been living here now for many years without trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

If you are looking for a fight in Dublin, you will find one. Otherwise, there's no need to worry. I live and go out in the city centre, and have never encountered any trouble, never been mugged, got in a fight, etc, and neither have the vast majority of people. The city centre has it's share of beggars and derelicts, but they are a harmless annoyance. Maybe I'm in a minority, but I've never seen a fight on the streets either.

Unless you are a drug dealer, your chance of being shot or stabbed in Dublin are very, very low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. The bigger the town, the higher the odds of that happening. I don't buy the "everything is safe down the country" myth. The newspapers are full of stories about attacks on elderly people in rural areas. It doesn't mean a pensioner should avoid Cavan for example.

The vast majority of stabbings / shootings in Dublin are domestics or gangland related - that pushes the serious crime statistics up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This gives a decent bit of advice:
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Dublin#Stay_safe
    Starts with:
    Stay safe
    Dublin is generally a very safe city by American and European standards but as in most other large cities, a few crimes against the person, such as muggings, unprovoked attacks, and robberies, have been known to occur in Dublin. Treat Dublin as you would other western cities, and be sensible: never walk in poorly-lit areas at night, especially alone; as Dublin centre is relatively compact, be aware that walking a few blocks can take you into some bad areas. Be especially vigilant or preferably avoid all-together walking around the city centre after bar closing times on weekends (2:30AM-3:00AM) when very drunk other people looking to take advantage of drunk people roam the streets and when violent behavior and crime are most likely to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Meh, I'd feel more safe walking in the center than in some northern suburbs.

The height of trouble I've gotten into was someone asking me for a smoke, at 3pm on Parnell Square. And I've came home drunk at 4 plenty of times.

Honestly, compared to some French cities, the city center is pretty safe. Especially considering the way some girls dress when they go out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Sweet, just wanted to really gauge Dubliners opinion as to how safe they think is. If I got a unanimous "Oh yeah I've been mugged" by a few people it would've been good to know. Reassuring stuff.

Plus "scumbag gauntlet", thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

My hometown is pretty damn safe, I'd be happy to walk the streets at 3 in the morning no problem
    Again, something you don't really get in my town!!
    So where exactly are you from that Dublin seems so dangerous in comparison? Disneyland?

• Advertisement

So where exactly are you from that Dublin seems so dangerous in comparison? Disneyland?
    That seems a tad unnecessary, I'm from mullingar, but everything I said is true, muggings, break ins etc. have never been any real concern of mine, like virtually any mid size town in Ireland. Obviously I realise it happens in Dublin more often cos of the sheer volume of people and size of the area, hence my question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Over sixty travellers were rioting and causing huge trouble in a Mullingar estate just last year.

Maybe it's a different kind of crime you are focusing on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

These kind of posts perplex me. I've lived in Dublin for 26 years and never had even the slightest bit of trouble. Getting stabbed or your door kicked in are not normal everyday experiences. In fact, I've never heard of either happening to anyone I know. It's a city -so you obviously have to be cautious, as you would anywhere else. I would reckon Dublin is very safe when compared to other cities of similar size/population. I walk home at all hours and I live in the city centre.

Man up for gods sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I live off Thomas street, which would be regarded as a rough enough area at times, and have never had any real trouble. Sure there's a number of druggies and other, er, ruffians around, but you can usually spot them and avoid them if needed. You sound like you need to toughen up a bit and get a bit more streetwise, that will come in time. Strolling around drunk at 3am and sleeping in a hedge might work at home, not in a city ;)

I see people doing the strangest things, like taking shortcuts through alleys full of homeless people. I also see people leaving all sorts of stuff visible in their cars overnight. If you filter out the number of idiots who get into trouble, the city is quite safe.

Mugged 7 times? Time to change job or where they live. FFS.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That seems a tad unnecessary, I'm from mullingar, but everything I said is true, muggings, break ins etc. have never been any real concern of mine, like virtually any mid size town in Ireland. Obviously I realise it happens in Dublin more often cos of the sheer volume of people and size of the area, hence my question :)

Mullingar, your ****ting us?!

If you think Mullingar is all sweetness and light then you'll find Dublin to be heaven.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I'm from mullingar

PMSL:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ason Unique

Dublin is the biggest slum in Europe. It's the most dangerous place in Europe. Us Dubliners are the best looking motherfuckers in Europe as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

but everything I said is true

Pub-talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Won't walk down a dark alley on his own now? Was it after the seventh mugging that he decided to make the switch?

A tip for living in Dublin, Rio or anywhere other than the Eden of Mullingar, don't walk down dark alleys on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Mullingar???Thats one dangerous gipsey infested kip,I wouldnt visit there!!No way!!;)

• Advertisement

Gypsy infested kip, nice :pac:

Anyways some of you guys is rude, but thanks for the input anyway. I wasn't really asking for advice on 'how to not get mugged', more if people had had many bad experiences themselves from those that live there.

I'm drawing 2 things from this, 1) The general consensus seems to be no, unless you're an idiot, and 2) Mullingar is hole :rolleyes:

The general consensus seems to be no, unless you're an idiot

Exactly.

The very fact that you've posted about this means you must be the type of person who's careful/sensible enough about these things (minus the usage of one stabbing article as an example of an everyday occurance, that wasn't the most sensible) to put yourself in the "less likely to be mugged" category. I've hung around the city centre all hours of the night since I was 15 (I'm 20 now) and I've never so much as been insulted by anyone, let alone mugged.

My mum's been mugged 3 times in her 60 odd years, but they were all snatch and grabs, never an assault/life-threat, and it was always at night on a dark street in the city centre (she likes to grab the last bus home even though the stop is at a pretty dodgy spot).

So don't walk around talking obnoxiously on an iPhone, or keep your money in a see through bag tied around your neck, or act like the type that someone would want to beat up, or hang around in unlit isolated streets, and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

It is good to learn Dublin city centre main streets and stick on them until you get your bearings. Buy a map next time you are in Eason's for 10 Euro.

Big main streets are grand and have good lighting and all have Garda CCTV, and if you walk where people and taxis and buses are then you will be grand. Walking home alone along a dark canal at 3am is not recommended.

Don't get into conversations with drunks or junkies, they are just lonely and looking for a chat. Be polite and keep walking. Same for beggars, just be polite and keep walking.

Also if you use Googlemaps, you can see the main Gardaí stations are in the city centre. These will be safer places to wait outside if you miss a bus and have to wait a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

So I'm moving to the city soon for my Masters course starting in the end of september. !!

(sponging off the government)

Indeed...does nobody ever work anmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

One other piece of advice would be that if you're using public transport, try to know when your bus, Dart, Luas or train is going at and to make sure you know how to get to your stop/station without ending up down a dark alley somewhere.

Be there on time because chances are whatever you're getting will be.

AND with reduced services on all public transport now with cost cutting, what I've noticed recently is that the wait til the next bus/Dart etc is much longer and you do not want to be hanging around a bus stop / Luas stop whatever late at night on your own either in the suburbs or the city centre.

Get yourself pre-paid bus/Luas etc cards too to avoid all the scumbags at the ticket machines looking for change and also so you don't miss whatever you're getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 meathmissy

I've recently moved into what is deemed as a rough area but I've had no problems what so ever, I took the flat cause it was cheap thinking its close to city centre taxis after a night out will be cheap so it will be grand, there been several nights we have walked home and no problem.

I would suggest to be careful at the liffey street luas stop. my mates wallet was robbed from her bag minutes after putting it in after buying tickets. theres also two lil gurriers hanging round waiting and asking you for your change from the machines, I saw them 3 afternoons last week. Each day the same thing, begging.

Just use your common sense, don't go looking for trouble and you'll be fine.

Enjoy it, its an amazing city.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont:
    Live in a scum area
    Walk through scum areas
    Make yourself a target(walking down the street iPhone 4 in hand at 3AM)

Do:
    Use your head
    Stick with people that wont do something stupid when a scrote says "ya startin?".
    Never have any smokes(even if you do, you dont).

Living, working and studying in the city for almost 21 years, had one close call but thats it. If you're any way street smart you'll be fine. Oh yeah, if you have a distinct country accent, lose it, knacks will pick up on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Ive been mugged and bottled just down the road from my house. But to avoid it, its simple:

Dont wander down dark alleys or shortcuts
    Stay in groups
    If anyone asks for a smoke or the time keep walking.
    Keep you head held high, they target people who look weak or wont fight back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Honestly, compared to some French cities, the city center is pretty safe. Especially considering the way some girls dress when they go out :p

What does the way girls dress have anything to do with it?

Dublin, in my own personal experience, is pretty safe. Never had a huge amount of trouble (a couple of minor experiences with groups of kids, but nothing life threatening or physically threatening).

Maybe get yourself a sh*t phone: if a scumbag ever wanted to mug me, one look at my phone and he'd probably think it's not worth the bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Meh, I'd feel more safe walking in the center than in some northern suburbs.

The height of trouble I've gotten into was someone asking me for a smoke, at 3pm on Parnell Square. And I've came home drunk at 4 plenty of times.

can you elaborate on this because ive seen trouble all over dublin, south and north of the liffey

Advertisement