Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Safety of Dublin City?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fiyero wrote: »
    Get yourself pre-paid bus/Luas etc cards too to avoid all the scumbags at the ticket machines looking for change and also so you don't miss whatever you're getting.

Great advice
    Saves pulling out your wallet/purse where at best you'll get hassled and at worst it'll be snatched.

Prepaid card in a little holder solves this issue

Gman1 wrote: »
    I
    Keep you head held high, they target people who look weak or wont fight back.

Also good advice.
    The scum are like bullies in school.
    They won't dare go for the rugby physique guy but you don't even need to be tall and strong. If you look and act confident it solves a lot of issues

If you have your head down and shuffle along meekly, you are a target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

mikemac wrote: »
    If you have your head down and shuffle along meekly, you are a target

My problem is I like listening to my mp3 player, which has a similar effect on scumbags. I find you attract attention if you have headphones on, and get little or none if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

OP, I'd almost consider your friends / brother's experiences bullshít. I've never heard of any of that happening, I've never been mugged and only ended up in fights which were my fault (nightclubs, not randomly on the street). I've walked up and down Marlborough street twice a day for the last 6 years, it could be considered one of the dodgiest streets in Dublin yet I've never been mugged, attacked etc.

If you walk around Dublin looking like a deer caught in the headlights you'll be an obvious target, just treat it like home and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The only thing that is worth avoiding is the back row of seats on the upstairs of a double decker bus, just seems to attract drunk and aggressive scangers for some reason.
    So I'm moving to the city soon for my Masters course starting in the end of september.

!

Presumably if you're moving to Dublin for a Masters you must have lived in a city or large enough town for an undergrad degree before hand? I'd guess you're street smart enough somehow.
    mikemac wrote: »

They won't dare go for the rugby physique guy but you don't even need to be tall and strong.

I actually know a guy who is 6 foot 4 and kickboxer who got mugged by three scumbags in broad daylight so being big is no guarantee either to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Watch out for the wallet inspector. He's not really an inspector. He just wants to steal your wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

can you elaborate on this because ive seen trouble all over dublin, south and north of the liffey

I was more on the "city center" thing, whereby the center is supposedly dodgier that the suburbs. I don't buy the north/south thing that much, there are some pretty bad places in D8 as well.

@Toby : I agree that it should not have anything to do with it, let's be clear. But in most cities I've lived in, girls are way more likely to be harrassed if they wear high heels, miniskirts or anything the local scumbag would deem "sexy". That's a shame, but that's the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

LaBaguette wrote: »
    I was more on the "city center" thing, whereby the center is supposedly dodgier that the suburbs. I don't buy the north/south thing that much, there are some pretty bad places in D8 as well.

@Toby : I agree that it should not have anything to do with it, let's be clear. But in most cities I've lived in, girls are way more likely to be harrassed if they wear high heels, miniskirts or anything the local scumbag would deem "sexy". That's a shame, but that's the way it is.

you mentioned suburbs. we had better leave it at that as we dont want to break the rules in the charter

Hmm.. apologies if I've offended anyone, perhaps it wasnt the right word ? Anyway, I just meant "those areas outside the city center". When talking about the northern suburbs, I had places like Finglas in mind.

I'm open to any clarification/comment MP :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

LaBaguette wrote: »

:(:(:(damn the local scumbags dont find me sexy :(:(:(

l have never been harrassed for wearing high heels and mini skirts

That's in French cities, to which I was comparing Dublin, to argue that it's a very safe place to live in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

How does a person who hasn't ever lived in Dublin know the areas to avoid living in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

irishbird wrote: »
    :(:(:(damn the local scumbags dont find me sexy :(:(:(

l have never been harrassed for wearing high heels and mini skirts

Yeah, women do seem to get more hassle (pestering, whistling, catcalls) in the southern European countries (Spain, Italy, southern France, Greece) than they do in northern Europe. I put it down to the culture in some of these places. Granted I amn't a woman so it's just my observations :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

[QUOTE=irishbird;74508967
    l have never been harrassed for wearing high heels and mini skirts[/QUOTE]

yes you have! :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Des wrote: »
    yes you have! :pac:

you would think the mod of the forum would able to use the quote function correctly :p

anyway, getting abused by drunk Des doesnt count :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So I'm moving to the city soon for my Masters course starting in the end of september.

Now I'm 22, I've never been in a fight in my life. My hometown is pretty damn safe, I'd be happy to walk the streets at 3 in the morning no problem; so I was just wondering how cautious I should be regarding safety etc. in the city. Tbh stuff like this going on every day has me a little freaked out. I don't really wanna be randomly assaulted by drunk (or sober) scumbags, and was wondering if this kinda thing happens a lot in peoples experience?, Or is it a case of if you mind your own business you probably won't be bothered?

I know someone from Dublin who has been mugged 7 count 'em 7 times (once right in front of me -- long story). So much so he won't walk down a dark alley on his own now the poor lad. I don't wanna end up like him in a years time.

My brother used to live in Dublin, and a few times when he was lying in (sponging off the government), random people would try and kick his door in. Again, something you don't really get in my town!!
    never had any trouble in 20 years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dublin is the biggest slum in Europe. It's the most dangerous place in Europe. Us Dubliners are the best looking motherfuckers in Europe as well.

Ah now. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

:pac:

Advertisement