Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Higher Level English 2012

• 28-08-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey guys, i was just wondering what poets ye're studying for the English exam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Make it a poll, that's what we did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

-plath
    -boland
    -rich
    -heaney
    -kavanagh/frost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lorelei112

yeah, i would have made one but I don't know how to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Boland, Rich, Kavanagh, Frost are the ones we're focusing on, along with a few more I can't think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Boland and Frost came up last year,
    If that makes any difference to ye,
    Kavanagh's a lovely poet,
    Should study him :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lorelei112

Thanks guys. I'm repeating and I have a few of them done so I guess I'll revise them ones and learn a few more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Patrick Kavanagh, Robert Frost and Adrienne Rich so far... Does anyone else hate doin Rich ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

We're very behind in English.. haven't even started poetry yet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Wordsworth hasn't come up on the LC yet IIRC unless I can't remember his name on this years paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

joshrogan wrote: »
    Wordsworth hasn't come up on the LC yet IIRC unless I can't remember his name on this years paper.

Nope he was never up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

so far;

-Rich
    -Boland
    -Frost

most likely Kavanagh and others to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

We've only studied Rich and Frost so far.
    I love Adrienne Rich though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

The four I did last year...

Rich :)
    Boland :)
    Kavanagh
    Frost

And two others... *Cue dramatic music*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

A word of advice: don't even try to predict. You don't want a repeat of 2010.

Study 6, or at least 5 in detail. And do the one everyone hates :) A lot of us LC alumni are convinced the bell curve is at work in LC English poetry essays :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I did 3 this year, Frost, Dickinson and Boland, and they all came up...

Do 3 at least imo, but make sure you pick likely ones. They're never gonna not put on some likely ones, but the question will probably be harder on them. Don't depend on a single poet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

three would be fairly ok, i learned three last year and 2 came up, but to learn just one is very risky business

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

We did Plath, Boland and Kavanagh last year, with Frost and Rich to do this year. Am I the only one on here that adores Plath and detests Boland or?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Rich, Platt and Heaney so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Laauren

Nobody doing Larkin? :/ I was hoping he'd come up this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wordsworth is not on the course this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

Above all, make sure you've covered all the Irish and all the female poets. This year, that would mean Heaney, Kavanagh, Kinsella, Plath, Rich and Boland....I know six seems a lot but you're absolutely guaranteed one Irish and one female poet on the paper. The DoE have never said it, but as an English teacher, I don't see how they could ever set an Irish state exam without and Irish poet or a female poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

If you want to be guaranteed a poet, do five. If you want more choice and maybe an easier question, do six.

If you do less you might get lucky and have each poet (or even the only poet) you study come up, but you don't want to be sitting in the exam centre with none of the poets you've done on the paper in June.

If you're not able to do that many, or just don't want to, do three or at least two really well. :) But there's every chance none of them will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Call Me Lia

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    Patrick Kavanagh, Robert Frost and Adrienne Rich so far... Does anyone else hate doin Rich ?
    Yes I detest her poetry and her feminist views.

Out of the the poets we've done so far: Plath, kavanagh and boland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I had posted some fairly long winded advice (And Sample notes :D) a few days ago on the LC forum. Instead of wasting the effort I put in to writing it I may as well repost it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73890383#post73890383

Hope you all find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Rebekahx wrote: »
    We did Plath, Boland and Kavanagh last year, with Frost and Rich to do this year. Am I the only one on here that adores Plath and detests Boland or?:o

I LOVE Plath.. I just find her ideas and images clear. If she comes up, I will be so happy :)

So far we've done Frost, Heaney and Plath. We'll have 5 done before the mocks and do the 6th after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

We've done six and thats all we're doing - all except Thomas Kinsella and Sylvia Plath. I'm annoyed we're not doing Plath tbh, shes supposed to be enjoyable and I heard its likely she'll come up. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

we've done Plath,Kinsella,Boland and Kavanagh so far. 6 poems for each. Plath and Paddy Kavanagh hopefully to come up

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelpNeeded!

I am in the leaving cert :( my teacher left in october and we since got a new teacher. he is certain that we will be ok if we only study 5 poets in detail? is this ok or should i study another in my own time?
    We are doing
    -Kavanagh
    -Plath
    -Heaney
    -Rich
    -Larkin
    ...b4 my teacher left she had told us we would be doing Kinsella aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I am in the leaving cert :( my teacher left in october and we since got a new teacher. he is certain that we will be ok if we only study 5 poets in detail? is this ok or should i study another in my own time?
    We are doing
    -Kavanagh
    -Plath
    -Heaney
    -Rich
    -Larkin
    ...b4 my teacher left she had told us we would be doing Kinsella aswell.

Do 6. If worst comes to worst you'll have a choice between 2 poets. If you study 5, then worst case scenario you'll be stuck with only one option (which you may not like)

Advertisement