Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine Oil

• 28-08-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi Lads

I'm getting my brother in law to service the MH before heading over to France next week.

I decided to supply him with the parts to make it easier on him plus he's going to show me how todo it so I can be self efficient.

I have bought some parts on micksgarage.ie, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter etc...

I was gonna pick up engine oil there as well but I'm unsure as to what one to get. I know Halfords have a little catalogue to tell you which one but said Id ask here before heading down there.

I have a 1999 Fiat Ducato 2.8 i.d.t.d and 8140.43 is the engine code.

What do people use in there MHs?

I think 15w40 is the one I want but what brand etc??? and how much of it?

Cheers

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭waterboy15

http://www.shell.com/home/page/lubes/lubematch/app_lubematch.html
    above is link to shells guide to oil recommendations which you could use it also shows quantities. Most oil companys have a format of this if you google them you will find.
    Dont forget your local motor factors and buy 1 or 2 litres extra for topping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT DO NOT OVERFILL THE OIL LEVEL THIS IS WORSE THAN UNDERFILLING IT

the 15w40 refers to the viscosity (thickness) of the oil in the winter and summer.
    all brands are similar and equall as long as the numbers match.

however there is one more factor to considir wheather the oil is syntethic or mineral or a mix.
    1999 should be fine with the syntetic or mix again consult the guide.

also as engines wear they may respond better to thicker oil by allowing less to escape into the cylinders trough the larger gaps created by engine wear however this is a issue of extensive debate and again not really applicable to such a new engine.

diesle oil is oil made to a higher standard as diesel engines have tighter toleriences. so diesel oil will work fine in a pet engine but not the other way around

so to summerise use the manufacuring specs and all brands with matching numbers will do fine. lidil do good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

you need 7 litres , and 10w40 semi synthetic is what I find works best.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Cheers

I got 2 5L bottles of 10W40 Part Synthetic in Halfords for €44.

They have a 20% discount on there own brand at the minute.

All Done now, And I did it all myself with a little help ;)

Steering fluid changed.

Coolant added.

Washer fluid in and wipers changed.

Oil changed. Filters in (Oil, Air, Fuel).

The fuel filter had a sensor that didn't match on the new filter so my bro in law left it off. Anyone have any problems with not having the fuel filter sensor on?

Wheel alignment and balancing along with tyre pressure corrected.

The tyres were at 70 PSI, I was wondering why I was feeling the bumps so much. Changed them to 55 PSI.

What PSI do people run theirs on?

And van washed aswell as awning which was a little dirty - looked like mildew. Clean as a whistle now.

Had to fix the end cap of the awning aswell as the last owner hit a bush - got one on ebay for €19 - Omnistor 5000.

Ready to hit the road to France now - Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

All Done now, And I did it all myself with a little help ;)

Steering fluid changed.

Coolant added.

Washer fluid in and wipers changed.

Oil changed. Filters in (Oil, Air, Fuel).

The fuel filter had a sensor that didn't match on the new filter so my bro in law left it off. Anyone have any problems with not having the fuel filter sensor on?

Wheel alignment and balancing along with tyre pressure corrected.

The tyres were at 70 PSI, I was wondering why I was feeling the bumps so much. Changed them to 55 PSI.

What PSI do people run theirs on?

And van washed aswell as awning which was a little dirty - looked like mildew. Clean as a whistle now.

Had to fix the end cap of the awning aswell as the last owner hit a bush - got one on ebay for €19 - Omnistor 5000.

Ready to hit the road to France now - Can't wait.

well done . The fuel filter will be 100% as long as you drain the bottom of it occasionally . Every few thousand km.

Get a tin of spray grease and lubricate the wiper linkages , door locks/hinges , gear linkages , bonnet latch and awning .
    55psi would be ok for tipping around Ireland assuming it's not a particularly big camper , for motorway use its recommended to pump them up a bit to keep the tires cool .
    No harm to check the brake pipes and front crossmember , and the earth strap below the battery . Also the fan belt .

Cheers Aidan - Will leave the fuel filter for this trip and maybe get a replacement sensor when I get back.

Forgot to mention I added the grease to the important bits and checked brake pipes and front crossmember , and the earth strap.

One thing I noticed was that the front right suspension spring looked wet! Now I had been giving the van a wash so I may go out and look at it when the weather is fine as see if it still looks damp.

Is this usually sign of trouble on suspension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

........................The tyres were at 70 PSI, I was wondering why I was feeling the bumps so much. Changed them to 55 PSI.

What PSI do people run theirs on?..............

The correct tyre pressure depends on the weight on the tyre, but can be overridden by the max pressure marked in the tyre if that is the lower of the two (which btw means the tyre is overloaded).

Michelin and Continental CP (Camper) tyres will take a maximum of 5.5 Bar (81psi).

Click HERE for an excellent document which will tell all you need to know about tyre safety in relation to motor caravans, it even has a chart which gives recommended pressures based on tyre size and axle load.

Advertisement