Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI for Games and Puzzles (COMP30260)

Options
  • 28-08-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I see COMP30260 coming up as an in-programme elective for this semester (3rd elec. engineering)

Has anyone here done it? Interesting? Difficult?

Of the three CS modules offered i've already done one (comp20070) and the other (comp30110) doesn't seem to interest me at all but i haven't looked into what exactly it is, tbh i had a hard time listening to Dr. Bertolotto last year which is whats putting me off!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

AI for Games & Puzzles is actually a 4th year module, so if you are only going into 3rd year you will want to be extremely confident in your programming abilities.

I did the lecturer's 3rd year module (Compiler Construction) and as a result I avoided the 4th year module he ran.

P.S. I just finished a degree in Comp Sci so if there are any other comp sci modules you're interested in let me know and i'll try give you some info on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Joneser wrote: »
    AI for Games & Puzzles is actually a 4th year module, so if you are only going into 3rd year you will want to be extremely confident in your programming abilities.

Feck that then! I enjoyed the little bit of programming we've done in C/C++ and i done well in the 3 modules but "extremely confident" is not a term i'd use!
    I did the lecturer's 3rd year module (Compiler Construction) and as a result I avoided the 4th year module he ran.

P.S. I just finished a degree in Comp Sci so if there are any other comp sci modules you're interested in let me know and i'll try give you some info on them :)

Did you do Spatial Information Systems (COMP30110)? The previous papers all look very similar which got me through Databases!

Thanks

Yes I did spatial information systems, the material is pretty easy, but in the exam make sure to write as much as possible, don't just give what the question asks for, give much more.

You get graded in relation to everyone else in the class, so you want to make sure you elaborate on the answers as much as possible. But yeah, I found the material pretty easy, it's also a 4th year module though so it may be worth taking a look at some of the 3rd year modules and seeing if any of them interest you ;)

I'm only looking at the modules offered as in-programme, i can't be arsed with the hassle of looking elsewhere for something thats fits in the limited space and is interesting!

Haha fair enough, well yeah the material in Spatial Info Systems is pretty easy so it's a decent choice, good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Haha fair enough, well yeah the material in Spatial Info Systems is pretty easy so it's a decent choice, good luck :)

I've heard she has a very small number of stock exam questions overall (And she doesn't deviate from them...) and if you learn essays for all the questions, you have an A in the bag >_<

(I will not be taking that module....)

Fad wrote: »
    I've heard she has a very small number of stock exam questions overall (And she doesn't deviate from them...) and if you learn essays for all the questions, you have an A in the bag >_<

Well that's true, but in my experience it seemed to become an exercise in writing more than the other people in the class, not necessarily just giving the correct answer. So yeah, easy material but I didn't enjoy the way it was marked :(

Turns out Ai for games and puzzles wasn't an in-programme elective anyway!

Anyone done Networks and Internet Systems (COMP30040)?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Pretty dull, but useful to know and not too bad if you keep up with the labs.

What do the labs involve?

I had a module with John Murphy in first year and i found him quite good, if a little dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Chet T16 wrote: »
    What do the labs involve?
    It was Java network programming when I did it (I was in 3rd year in 06/07), may have changed in the meantime though.

Found this, seems to be the same. I've never touched java before so i think it might be a little above me!

It was Java network programming when I did it (I was in 3rd year in 06/07), may have changed in the meantime though.

It was the same in 09/10 when I was in 3rd year. The one thing this module had going for it was that what you programmed was quite cool. We made an instant messenger that the class was able to use to to talk to each other as well as an email client (where you can pretend to send emails from someone else ;) )

Advertisement