Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going for a ride on mower

Options
  • 28-08-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

im going to take the plunge and buy a second hand ride on mower.what i want to know is what are the brands to stay away from(not buying anything that came out of woodies or the like)
    i hear simplicity are excellent by all reports
    honda the same but very expensive
    i see some husqvarnas for good money
    what are the others like eg castlegarden jonsereed and others.i know one company makes a lot of them and rebrands them eg john deere is a rebrand unless you spend huge money
    any advice greatfully recieved
    thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I bought a band new husqvarna ride on a few years ago. It's one that does not collect grass. I have a huge area to cut. I have nothing to compare it to but I'm not inpressed by the one I have. For example if the grass is even slightly damp, it really struggles to cut. It clogs up with the damp grass. It's not that I drive fast either. Also, if you let the grass get even a litle bit overgrown, it doesn't cut it properly. Just sort of beats it down.

As I said, I've nothing to compare it too but I don't think I'd get one again.

Also If I were you, I'd get one that collects the grass. I'm regretting that.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

TheBody wrote: »
    I bought a band new husqvarna ride on a few years ago. It's one that does not collect grass. I have a huge area to cut. I have nothing to compare it to but I'm not inpressed by the one I have. For example if the grass is even slightly damp, it really struggles to cut. It clogs up with the damp grass. It's not that I drive fast either. Also, if you let the grass get even a litle bit overgrown, it doesn't cut it properly. Just sort of beats it down.

Hope that helps.
    Thebody thanks fir the reply, it would be a grass collector for sure as I intend to share it with my father in law next door and he is fairly particular over the grass being collected
    I have a Honda izy self propelled mulcher mower at the moment and find the same problems as you have, you can't let the grass get to long r it gets to be a right pain, what horsepower is yours out of interest

Not sure what horsepower it is to be honest. It's over at my parents house so I can't run out to have a look at it. This is the own (see below). My one is about 4 years old so it looks slightly different but it's definitely the LT151.

http://www.husqvarna.com/ie/homeowner/products/garden-tractors/lt151/

Edit: This website says its 15hp

http://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/husqvarna_tractors_lt151_&_collector_shop_2466.htm

cheers buddy very helpful

Glad I could help!!

• Advertisement

have put my eye on a modern looking husky 13.5 hp..mulcher and collector..very tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

Well chief, i have a 1/2 acre garden & i had to but a ride on lawn mower 3 years ago. I bought a castle garden twin blade with a moulcher, am happy with it & they also do yearly maintainence/service also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I've tried and owned a good few different ride on's now, from castle gardens and snappers to husq's, john deere's, countax and hondas.

From what I've had and seen there are few to beat what I have at the moment the Honda 2417, I had a 2315 before that and wasn't impressed at all with it but moved up a size last year and it is an excellent machine. I collect the grass and often cut between showers and this mower never misses a beat, lifts every blade of grass.

Take a look on donedeal you might find a bargain but I think mine cost over 3k new last year. I cut around an acre of lawn.

Also mulcher's aren't made for Ireland, I don't know why they are sold here. They are meant for warm dry climates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Were on our second CastelGarden and i couldn't fault them. Current is a 5 year old 36 inch twinblade with manual transmission, bought new. Really hasn't cost a bob other than two oil changes and we have about 3/4 acres of lawn. 13 HP B&S engine seems very strong and bullit proof.

bbam wrote: »
    Were on our second CastelGarden and i couldn't fault them. Current is a 5 year old 36 inch twinblade with manual transmission. Really hasn't cost a bob other than two oil changes and we have about 3/4 acres of lawn. 13 HP B&S engine seems very strong and bullit proof.

Thanks lads, really appreciate the replies, I'd love a Honda but they do hold their value well so could be expensive, my neighbour has a newish one and he'd marry it if he could.
    I've heard mixed reports about the cadtlegardens BUT my mower repair man says o should really look at them as he says as you lads have that they have the brigs and are pretty much a solid all round machine so ive started to concentrate on looking at them.
    I look at donedeal and adverts.ie anywhere else that could be worth a look?

• Advertisement

Farls wrote: »
    I've tried and owned a good few different ride on's now, from castle gardens and snappers to husq's, john deere's, countax and hondas.

From what I've had and seen there are few to beat what I have at the moment the Honda 2417, I had a 2315 before that and wasn't impressed at all with it but moved up a size last year and it is an excellent machine. I collect the grass and often cut between showers and this mower never misses a beat, lifts every blade of grass.

Take a look on donedeal you might find a bargain but I think mine cost over 3k new last year. I cut around an acre of lawn.

Also mulcher's aren't made for Ireland, I don't know why they are sold here. They are meant for warm dry climates.

Farls what did you find wrong with the 2315 out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

Did work for neighbour on a Husqvarna ride on with collection box. Wouldn't rate it at all. Real basic, bad controls, bad cut. Had a Honda ride on before my present lawn mower, was very good, nice lay out of controls, good engine. Was very happy with it bar the odd blocking of shoot, grass needs to be real dry to cut. Have a Kubota G21 now, unbelievable lawnmower, I know it's a massive price but it can never block with it's design of shoot unless your collecting branches and can cut grass in a shower of rain no bother. I would strongly recommend any size Kubota ride on.

Farls what did you find wrong with the 2315 out of interest?

If you try out both machines the 2417 is twice the tractor to it's younger sibling. There may only be 2hp in the difference and a fan assisted shoot for blowing the grass but the difference is unbelievable.

I've also 'fashioned' a few attachments like an extra heavy roller, chain harrow and in the process of making a snow plough, the 2417 has no problems with anything I've thrown at it. I can only imagine what the top of the range honda 2620 must be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hope that helps.

Sounds like you need to sharpen the blades.

I have a basic Husqvarna, it's a manual with the side ejector pipe.
    It has three options:

- Mulch (which I rarely do these days as the lawn is better when you collect)
    - Collect (I do this most of the time, except when the grass is very long, or very wet
    - Eject (throws the grass out the side leaving rows of cut grass out to dry, like making hay :D )

I have it 6 years now and service it every second winter (except oil changes which are every winter). Also, I remove the deck every winter and clean and paint it and sharpen or replace the blades.

It has been very reliable, (more so than my Dads Stiga and my bro-in laws Honda).

The only thing I'd change is the ejector. Rear is far better than side.

prospect wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to sharpen the blades.

I have a basic Husqvarna, it's a manual with the side ejector pipe.
    It has three options:

- Mulch (which I rarely do these days as the lawn is better when you collect)
    - Collect (I do this most of the time, except when the grass is very long, or very wet
    - Eject (throws the grass out the side leaving rows of cut grass out to dry, like making hay :D )

I have it 6 years now and service it every second winter (except oil changes which are every winter). Also, I remove the deck every winter and clean and paint it and sharpen or replace the blades.

It has been very reliable, (more so than my Dads Stiga and my bro-in laws Honda).

The only thing I'd change is the ejector. Rear is far better than side.

Definitely not the blades that need sharpening. Every year it's brought for a service. Blades sharpened if needed. After every cut I clean off all the grass stuck to it. Sounds like you have a more expensive model than mine. It doesn't have the settings you have. As I said, I'm just not impressed with my one.

Definitely not the blades that need sharpening. Every year it's brought for a service. Blades sharpened if needed. After every cut I clean off all the grass stuck to it. Sounds like you have a more expensive model than mine. It doesn't have the settings you have. As I said, I'm just not impressed with my one.

Mine is fairly basic too, these are not settings,

There is an open section on the right hand side of the deck:

Attach the chute and it collects.
    Attach an small open ended cover and it ejects the grass out the side.
    Attach a closed cover and it mulches.

Are you sure you are not expecting too much? Most mowers will struggle wit very wet and very long grass. Like I said, when mine is either wet and/or long I just fire the grass out the side and either collect it when dry or rake it up by hand.

Mine is fairly basic too, these are not settings,

There is an open section on the right hand side of the deck:

Attach the chute and it collects.
    Attach an small open ended cover and it ejects the grass out the side.
    Attach a closed cover and it mulches.

Are you sure you are not expecting too much? Most mowers will struggle wit very wet and very long grass. Like I said, when mine is either wet and/or long I just fire the grass out the side and either collect it when dry or rake it up by hand.

No, not putting any big pressure on it. Even cutting at a snails pace it struggles. My brother in law has a John Deere ride on and his one can cut long wet grass no problem.

No, not putting any big pressure on it. Even cutting at a snails pace it struggles. My brother in law has a John Deere ride on and his one can cut long wet grass no problem.

Sounds odd.
    Are you sure whoever the blades were replaced with mulching ones, they differ from std blades.

Sounds odd.
    Are you sure whoever the blades were replaced with mulching ones, they differ from std blades.

To be honest with you, I've no idea what type of blades are in it. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either!!

To be honest with you, I've no idea what type of blades are in it. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either!!

:D
    Me neither, but do I sound convincing?

If you look at the husqvarna site and go to the section for parts you should be able to find images of the std and the mulching blade.

Is your friend mulching or collecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Hi ,

My dad has a castlegarden 42" cut with a 17.5hp B & S engine. 9 years old and apart from a battery and a flat wheel sh is bullet proof. It cuts 3/4 acres of grass (by to be honest its half grass half moss) which is hard cutting.

Its hyrodrive ( A must) , rear discarge, manal blade engage etc

His bother had a 10 year old and ws flying when traded it in

Another brother bought a Massey (petrol model) and broke is heart

Father in Law a courtax (is that thename) about 11 or 12years old. 13.5hp b and s

It has a grass collector attachment, which is brill even on wet heay cuttngs, but itsadds to the lenght of the machine.

Complete mule compared to the castlegarden

Buy as much HP as possible, its the key to a long engine life and picking grass

Its hyrodrive ( A must)

Why is it a must??
    What's wrong with a standard 5 forward single reverse mower...
    Not being smart but your sitting on your ar5e mowing the lawn, changing gear isn't a hastle...
    I'd say its a "nice" to have if you have the spare cash....

Why is it a must??
    What's wrong with a standard 5 forward single reverse mower...
    Not being smart but your sitting on your ar5e mowing the lawn, changing gear isn't a hastle...
    I'd say its a "nice" to have if you have the spare cash....

Gears are hard on belts, you are either going at the speed of the gear or you are riding the clutch to make it operate like a hydrostatic drive.

Farls wrote: »
    Gears are hard on belts, you are either going at the speed of the gear or you are riding the clutch to make it operate like a hydrostatic drive.

Sorry I don't buy that SALES pitch. I've been cutting 3/4 acre lawns with mine for years and never replaced any belts. My BIL has a masport about 12 years old and never changed a belt either.
    Why would you ride the clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i said a "must" for the following reason, that i went from a 5f 1r gear box (had no trouble ever) to a hydrostatic drive and there is no comparison driving the machine.

Around trees, headlands, or hitting heavy grass you lift your foot not reaching for the gears. Its that simple a 4 year old gets the idea.

Also my point of getting the "highest HP" engine you could afford. Once you come to 15 or 17 hp engines most are hydro drive anyway. Or defo worth the few euro more.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

I have a Husq 17.5HP w mulcher 3 yrs now. Mulcher has always worked well for me as has the machine as a whole. Just top the grass when mulching and it will work well for you. Bought it new and get it serviced once a year. With most mowers you wont get a good cut in damp conditions when cutting when wet, grass will clog underneath. You seem to have a good idea about brands at this stage so my tuppence is get the good brand that has a local dealer near you for repairs and service, cos once you get the mower you will need this service unless u can do it urself, which if like me, wont be happening (disaster w mechanics) Lastly, avoid cheap and bargains. will ALWAYS cost you money in long run. Just my thoughts;)

i said a "must" for the following reason, that i went from a 5f 1r gear box (had no trouble ever) to a hydrostatic drive and there is no comparison driving the machine.

Around trees, headlands, or hitting heavy grass you lift your foot not reaching for the gears. Its that simple a 4 year old gets the idea.

Also my point of getting the "highest HP" engine you could afford. Once you come to 15 or 17 hp engines most are hydro drive anyway. Or defo worth the few euro more.

Ok I get your point that it's "handy", saves the bother of reaching down and changing gear..
    It does however cost more and if your buying on a budget (and who isn't these days) it isn't a must, it's a nice to have.

Also... buying a 17hp mower to cut a half acre of flat lawn would also be a waste...Buy a mower to suit your site/application and budget.. Buying the biggest you have money for is the celtic tiger buying theory... This is a luxury item not a profit making tool.

Fair play to your 4 year old if he/she understands the technical differences between a hydrostatic and manual 5/1 gear box... just don't talk down to me about it!

Sorry I don't buy that SALES pitch. I've been cutting 3/4 acre lawns with mine for years and never replaced any belts. My BIL has a masport about 12 years old and never changed a belt either.
    Why would you ride the clutch?

Sorry I didn't realise I was in SALES, I thought I was giving some friendly advice. You ride the clutch because as has been said already when you come to hedgerows or doing some delicate cutting around tree's or flower bed's it is easier to fire in the clutch a bit than go to the hassle of changing gears, especially on a decent size lawn where you would be cutting in 5th and then have to hit 2nd for the awkward bits.

Obviously I like getting the job done fast and efficiently without worrying if the grass is damp or wet. These three points lead me to lots of HP with hydro drive.

If you want to be a grandad about things then get a mower with a few gears and just enough HP to drag you and your ear plugs around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

going for a ride on mower

Had to look at this title again, my first interpretation was ......well............ un-printable....................what kind of sick bastard would think of that.......then I realised .........

Ah well, my tuppence worth, got my self a 18.5HP Castlegarden, good work horse, have it 4 seasons now ,never a bother, just use it for cutting grass mind you ! No kinky stuff here !

Secman

• Advertisement

very good:D:D:D:D
    something to think about though if the missus is agreeable;);):p

Advertisement