Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your worst accident on a bike caused by another motor vehicle

• 28-08-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Was reading another thread on somebody nearly being knocked off their bike so I was wondering how dangerous is cycling and what is the worst experience people have had.

What was your worst accident on a bike caused by another motor vehicle 56 votes

Knocked off bike and hospitalised
    0% 0 votes
    knocked off bike and taken to casualty for treatment
    8% 5 votes
    knocked off bike bruises and scratches but treated myself
    25% 14 votes
    knocked off bike not badly injured but bike wrecked
    32% 18 votes
    contact with a vehicle but stayed on my bike
    7% 4 votes
    never had an acceident with a motor vehicle
    26% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Was reading another thread on somebody nearly being knocked off their bike so I was wondering how dangerous is cycling and what is the worst experience people have had.

As long as you are wearing a helmet (of any description) cycling is 100% safe. If you choose to not wear one, then your daily trip to the shop on your bicycle to buy a loaf of bread is almost guaranteed to be fatal.

Also why don't you pay any road tax??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

No feeding the troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Cycling isn't dangerous - it's the occasional behaviour of cyclists and other road users that cause danger. I've never been knocked off my bike, nor have I ever had a car crash. That covers about 25,000KM over the last 4 years or so on a bike. I've had one or two close calls, but I've averted them for the most part by being vigilant, aware and doing what I can to preempt others mistakes - e.g. pulling out of a side road, overtaking you then turning on you etc.

All that said, I fell off my bike once - taking a corner in the wet too fast. I ended up with a bad rash and what felt like a cracked rib. That was my own fault and misjudgement though. It was a mistake that I learned from and have not repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The assumption behind the poll seems to be that "accidents" primarily involve a collision with a motorised vehicle. I think the majority, by some distance, of injuries picked up by cyclists do not involved a motorised vehicle at all. (Obviously, most of the worst injuries do involved a motorised vehicle.)

Satanta wrote: »
    No feeding the troll
    He's being funny, I'm pretty sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Not answering poll ,don't want to jinx myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've had a few, vehicles failing to stop at a junction or pulling out of a junction/roundabout.
    Only one was my own fault, oil slick on the road which I failed to notice as the road was wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've had a few, vehicles failing to stop at a junction or pulling out of a junction/roundabout.
    Only one was my own fault, oil slick on the road which I failed to notice as the road was wet.
    Was once t-boned by a Jeep as I was turning at a junction. Thankfully he was moving off from stopped so I was moreso bumped away to the side than steamrolled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I was run off the road by a bus when coming off the Sally Gap towards Lough Tay a couple years ago. Revved the engine then drove straight through like I wasn't there, I went into the ditch at the side of the road over the bars and down into some bushes. I was fine (just shaken up) and so was the bike, so didn't vote in your poll :) Was glad it didn't happen 30 seconds later, as the bushes gave way to rocks at the side of the road!! That would've ended entirely differently.

Other than that never had an incident. 3 years commuting @ ~8000km per year, and according to SportTracks an average of about 4000km training in those years too. So one incident for 36,000km isn't too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He's being funny, I'm pretty sure.

At least someone can pick up on sarcasm.

I was generally lampooning a thread that is based around the danger of cycling. It's a bad and unproductive attitude to have toward cycling.

EDIT: lets say some comes onto cycling board with an interest in taking up cycling (I know this board was the first place I came to for advice on getting into cycling), the first thread they see is this - with a large poll at the top where currently over half of participants have said that they have at least had contact with a car. It only serves to reinforce the largely held view that cycling is dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've been killed, twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

knocked off my bike by a bus on Talbot Street in dublin one morning about 7 years ago, ripped the elbow of my favorite top at the time, some cuts and bruises. Caught up to the driver and turned the air blue for a bit, left a complaint in with Dublin Bus. Fitted twin 50cal machine guns to the handlebars shortly after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

the worst one for me was some tool pulling out of a side street without looking what he was doing, I hit the front of the car and went flying over the bonnet, the front wheel of the bike was mangled... I didn't have a cut or a bruise.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mr Blah

I was hit by a car from behind on the N4. Hospialised for 3 months. After 10+ years only back cycling this year. Helmet saved my life. Cycling in itself might not be dangerous, but like every mode of transport, external events can make it fatal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Your thread title and poll question are different, worst accident or worst accident with a motor vehicle?

My worst traffic accident was going up a cycle lane and the young lad in the passenger seat of the SUV flung open the door, doored :(

But my worst injury was a pedestrian darted in front of me, I swerved and glanced off them.
    Split my knee open, stitches, crutches and antibiotics yet the pedestrian was unhurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Wet myself when I waved at a proper cyclist who was wearing a club jersey and he glared at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

About to jinx myself, but I've never been knocked off my bike.

I've had three bad accidents:
    1. Crashed into a parked van at a good speed.
    2. Knocked down 2 children (one was a baby being carried by the other).
    3. Fell on my face when jumping a kerb on a chopper (remember those?)

Numerous minor falls, like slipping on ice, and falling over when I couldn't uncleat in time. Those ones are the most embarrassing.

Never broken a bone, though. (Jinxed again - my next post will be from the morgue, having rode off a cliff and broken every bone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I've had a few encounters with cars in over forty plus years on various bikes. Worst was going up the left in a line of traffic through a cross road. Didn't notice that cars had stopped to allow on-coming traffic to turn right. - i.e. across me.

Saw the van at the last minute. Everything went into slow motion. Managed to lean into the van - bang! Everything sped back up. I've never been hit so hard by anything. Went flying. I think I hit my head off the van - no helmets in the early eighties. Thankfully only bad bruises and cuts - healed up fine. Poor driver nearly had heart failure. Cycled home and told parents I was in a fight.

I've been hit only once since and run off the road/nudged a bit twice. All in all not too bad for forty odd years in a bike although i don't bounce as well as I used to.

These days much I pay a lot more attention and am more cautious than when I was a young lad. Still managed to get hit this summer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I've voted "knocked off bike not badly injured but bike wrecked", but seeing as it was my fault for hitting the car, it's probably worded a little wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hit by a car age 14 fractured both lower leg bones in right leg.

Four years ago I rear ended a car in really wet conditions this was almost comical bike just was not stopping - broke left elbow

About 7 years ago I was stopped at a red light when lady in a volvo also pulled up to the stop line. Problem was her route to the stop line went through the space I and my bike and my flashing red leds and hi viz were already occupying. That was just bruises as I recall and new bits for bike, wheels forks and such.

But as an adult, the worst wallop I got was when I was hit side on by another cyclist who shot out of a side road without checking (he was travelling downhill). That was bruised/cracked ribs and a sore head (thankfully I was wearing thick wooly hat which saved my life) . Bike frame was bent and a write off. He seemed fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cycling is very safe.

Cold stats aren't that much of a comfort when there's reports of deaths or injuries but deaths have been falling at a time when the number of cyclists is increasing.

The worst injuries most people get are very minor ones -- I hurt my knee a good few times when I was a child and the worst injury since becoming an adult was shock, slightly grazed hands or likely hurting my leg when I pedestrian walked in front of me and I went over the handlebars.

There's some important things you can learn to avoid injury -- like don't cycle in the gutter or on double yellow lines, learn how to look over your shoulders, keep away from HGVs and buses as much as possible, don't go inside any left turning vehicles, expect all road users to do the unexpected, get a good set of lights for cycling at night, use hand signals, get a bell, don't cycle near car doors etc.

If you're unsure about cycling on road try go get cycling training or read one of the books out there like Cyclecraft -- http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Couple of close shaves but never actually knocked off.

Fell off three times in one afternoon last week though. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never had an accident on my bike caused by a motor vehicle (ran into a couple from behind though with no damage to me, bike or car) or indeed caused by another bike or pedestrian

Have been run down by a bike as a pedestrian when crossing a road, breaking my leg in 3 places (my fault again, but I was only 5 at the time), and have been hospitalised for a few days after flying over the handlebars (at least that's what I'm informed happened - I cannot remember myself due to the concussion) due to a very badly repaired road surface. I've also broken a wrist coming down on ice on another occasion

But as monument points out, cycling is actually quite safe;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

As a two year old I broke my ankle. Sitting on the child seat on my mother bikes and I decided I wanted to get off. My ankle ended up in the chain and sprocket. I cant remember a thing.

Going to school I was hit by an ambulance door, as the driver (parked) opened the door and I was too close to stp or swerve.

Hit by an old coger coming out of a parking spot while decending into Stepaside. Road rash and a cracked frame.

Hit by a lunatic driver who mounted the footpath to undertake me, when I was cycling from work one night. Went over his bonnet and onto the road, but thankfully no damage to me or bike. Got his reg at next junction. Gardai wouldnt do a thing as they said it was his word vz mine. He claimed that I attacked him, so he drove at me to protect himself - no I ask you how does someone outside a car attack someone in it, unless there are weapons involved. They showed no interest in the slightest.

Speaking of attacking . . .

I was also hit by a cyclist one morning going to work. He cycled off a footpath straight through a junction into the side of me. Torn legwarmers, roadrash, bent handlebar and cracked helmet. He got a pummeling until two other cyclists who saw the crash advised me that I was doing myeslef no favours by beating the guy into a mulch. I thankfully came to my senses and ceased the brutality.

Hopefully that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭oneill787

dont ride a bike so ive never crashed one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Going the other direction...I've had two bad incidents with bikes.

First one was fifty fifty, I was turning left and a bike came from behind and cut into my side. The bike went under my car and his leg did to. New door panel for me and he just had heavy bruising I believe.

Second one was 100% his fault but he was hurt a lot worse. He went over the top of the car. Bumper and windscreen had to be replaced. I was in shock for a day as well so had to take time off. I felt bad but I did sue because I know he would if it was the other way around and it was my fault. I won in the end which vindicated me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

First one was fifty fifty, I was turning left and a bike came from behind and cut into my side. The bike went under my car and his leg did to. New door panel for me and he just had heavy bruising I believe.
    I've had two of these, where I was on the bike. Except, I don't see it as 50;50 at all. I was going in a straight line at a reasonable speed, say 25-30 Km/hr and both times the cars passed me out while simultaneously braking to turn left into a side road a few metres ahead. Obviously they should have turned left behind me, but they overestimated the amount of time they had to get past me.
    Always watch out for these idiots.

I gave him enough time but I could see him in my mirror reacting to me indicating. He actually sped up as if I had insulted him by not waiting for him to pass first. He actually wanted me to hit him to prove a point. I saw this unfolding in front of me and I said to myself "be my guest".

Going the other direction...I've had two bad incidents with bikes.

Out of interest, how long have you been driving?

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    Out of interest, how long have you been driving?
    2.5 years, why?

Like I said, out of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Re the various tales of woe above, I would agree with Monument and Beasty. Cycling is very safe generally but keep your wits about you. By the way, if memory serves in over thirty years driving I've been hit four times (no one hurt). So about the same hit rate if ye'll forgive the phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

It's not a motor vehicle but my "worst accident" was with another cyclist. I was stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left when he came up behind me and decided he couldn't wait for the light to change. He tried to pass me on the left and of course the light changed just as he was doing so. I didn't know he was coming and collided with him as I was turning. Neither of us was going very fast and I don't think he was injured, but he got out of there right away.

Memo to cyclists: if you're going to break a light, don't pass a cyclist who's obeying it on the left :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I gave him enough time but I could see him in my mirror reacting to me indicating. He actually sped up as if I had insulted him by not waiting for him to pass first. He actually wanted me to hit him to prove a point. I saw this unfolding in front of me and I said to myself "be my guest".

Wait, do you mean you could have stopped and you hit him anyway? :eek:

And he wanted you to hit him? :confused:

Congratulations, you've just admitted to dangerous driving on a public internet forum.

• Advertisement

And the consequences are?

Wait there, the boys are on their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was a six-week period last year where I had three fairly identical accidents. All on Thursdays. Thursday is the danger day.

First one, coming down a clear lane, traffic queueing in the right-hand lane, car pulled into my lane just as I passed and I glanced off his left wing. Cracked rib, damaged saddle.

Second one, a month to the day after that, I was coming through Templeogue village out towards Tallaght when the car in front decided to brake suddenly and turn left into the tennis club, indicating as she made the turn. Luckily I was far back enough that by the time I hit her, I had turned with the car and literally landed against it at 5km/h. The driver had a heart attack but I assured her there was no harm done and went on my way.

Then a week after that, another Thursday. Same as first incident. Cycling in a clear lane, queue in the right-hand lane, SUV suddenly pulls left and hits me with the side of his vehicle. I wasn't moving that fast but it seemed to hurt a lot more than the first. No bike damage, but I came down hard on the side of my hand/wrist and it hurt for about a month. Gormless cunt drove about 25m down to the next set of lights before he became aware of what he'd done, and just stuck his head out of the car saying "Sorry" over and over with a bemused look on his face, as if that made it OK.

And they are the only three collisions I've had. Clearly I didn't learn my lesson the first time and had to go through it twice more to sharpen up my spidey senses. In all cases, the drivers failed to check their left-hand mirror. Checking both mirrors before turning is something that's not examined strongly enough in the driving test, never has been. Drivers are told to check their mirrors, but not why. With the result that most drivers don't check their side mirrors after they pass the test. Wing mirrors are for reversing into a parking space, apparently.

No, cycling's not dangerous. I would consider myself someone who rides particularly fast compared to your average commuter. So I'm going to end up in more trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ive had one crash, bikes fault more than anything. I was at the front of a huge line of traffic at some lights in Cork( rush hour ) I decided I'd get across the junction as quickly as possible so I could move over and let the drivers pass me.

So standing up peddling, chain slipped I was moving far too quickly I'm not sure what happened after that but I went over the handle bar kind of face planted the road. Got up, bar my bike to the foot path was a tad shaken up as I wasnt 100% sure what happened.

Then I could feel rain dripping on my face but I noticed it wasn't raining wiped my forehead and it turned out it was blood.

At the end of the day I wasn't wearing a helmet so I'm not here looking for sympathy, I just hate them. Would. Just say make sure you have a bike with components you can trust and you should be able to avoid most accidents! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

You're now a known scumbag?

• Advertisement

droidus wrote: »
    You're now a known scumbag?

Known by who? Do you know me? What is my name? Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I cycle the back road from Kilcoole to Wicklow and further south fairly often, I've not been hit but have had a few hairy moments when drivers decide that they can fit a car travelling in each direction and my bike on that road!

However, another story is that I was driving the road at last Saturday, I was about 30 metres from the turn off to asford when two cyclists joining my road from the junction came around the corner 2 abreast, never even once looked to see I was practically on top of them and continued cycling. Crazy behaviour.

Known by who? Do you know me? What is my name? Good man.

We know that you're both 28 and 43. That ought to narrow it down a bit. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    We know that you're both 28 and 43. That ought to narrow it down a bit. :pac:
    No, it was 2B. He must have been using hexadecimal for elegant variation.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Then I could feel rain dripping on my face but I noticed it wasn't raining wiped my forehead and it turned out it was blood.

At the end of the day I wasn't wearing a helmet so I'm not here looking for sympathy, I just hate them. Would. Just say make sure you have a bike with components you can trust and you should be able to avoid most accidents! :)
    I don't think your choice not to wear excludes you from any expression of sympathy. Nor does what sounds like a lapse in regular bike mainteance (temporary, I'm sure!).

At the same time, I don't think it would be controversial to suggest that, unlike many anecdotes one see here, a helmet might well have helped in this case, since lacerations are one of the (relatively) minor injuries that it's generally agreed helmets can mitigate. (Provided it was part of the scalp that's generally covered.) The maintenance is the bit I'd emphasise though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You're banned from this forum for trolling and promoting illegal behavior.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement