Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on pruning a corkscrew hazel?

Options
  • 28-08-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

we have one about 12 year old and its about 2mtrs high. I've been doing ad hoc pruning to take out straight branches and creating some space to clear weeds underneath. However now it has the slight "christmas tree" look to it. I know if I leave it , it will grow back into shape, but is it worth squaring it off some to stop it being too bottom heavy? Or is it better to remove whole branches, a quick google mentioned about removing 1 in 3 branhes if mature.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plantlord

silverharp wrote: »
    we have one about 12 year old and its about 2mtrs high. I've been doing ad hoc pruning to take out straight branches and creating some space to clear weeds underneath. However now it has the slight "christmas tree" look to it. I know if I leave it , it will grow back into shape, but is it worth squaring it off some to stop it being too bottom heavy? Or is it better to remove whole branches, a quick google mentioned about removing 1 in 3 branhes if mature.

Prune corkscrew hazel in winter, when its branches are bare, and you can see what you doing. Straight branches come from the under-stock and should be removed, any time they appear. It's generally best to remove branches, either partially or fully. At all costs the shorn clipped look must be avoided. All hazels will regenerate from even the harshest pruning.

Advertisement