Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little known storyline facts...

Options
  • 28-08-2011 2:04pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've always had a wee thing for the storyline in SF. There's loads of little quirks to it that I'm not sure alot of people know. I thought I'd share some.

Some of these come from various Wikis, so if you've contradicting or supporting evidence I'd be delighted to hear it.

If I've missed anything let me know, also, wouldn't mind knowing some facts from other games storylines.

Anywho:
    • There's a line of GI Joe Street Fighter action figures. You could argue this is the first cross over between Marvel and Capcom (Marvel handled alot of Hasbros fiction at the time).
    • Speaking of which, Deadpool really did do that dragon punch in his comic. He smacked Shadowcat to try and rile up Wolverine. (It worked)
    • Ryu may or may not be Akuma's son.
    • The Brazilian version of the politically-oriented humor television show CQC interviewed people in Spain, asking who were the most known Brazilian people. Blanka ranked third after Gisele Bündchen and Pelé. Also, early promotional work stated he learned electricity from electric eels.
    • Sagat and Ryu's relationship is actually based on a couple of real life martial artist.
    • Akuma's really crap at killing people. So far, he's failed to kill Bison, Gen, and Gouken.
    • Speaking of Gouken and Goutetsu, I don't have to explain Sheng Long, right?
    • Final Fight was originally intended to be Street Fighter 2. Obviously the two franchises are totally intertwined at this point. Hugo (as Andore), Cody, Haggar, Guy, Maki, Rolento, and Sodom, all first appeared in a FF game.
    • Sakura has a whole rake of semi canon story lines in the Sakura Ganbaru!! manga. Karin and Maki had her first appearance there.
    • Bison's mind was chilling out inside Roses body between Alpha and SF2, when his scientist completed a new body for him. She has no recollection of this. Ew...
    • Birdie has Michael Jacksons disease. He's white in SF1 but black in all other appearances.
    • Charlie taught Guile his fighting style. Hes better at it, thus the one handed (and footed) sonic booms.
    • At one point Capcom was claiming Cody in SSF4 was not the same Cody as the hero of Metro City. I would guess the SFxT trailer deconfirms that though.
    • Lee from SF1 is Yun and Yang's uncle.
    • Ken isn't identical to Ryu in World Warrior. He has his barrel roll throw which means he can corner opponents easily.
    • Between 2I and 3S Dudley gets knighted. His real name is now Sir Dudlington. Really!
    • Guile and Ken are brothers in law. This was introduced in Studio Udon's comic and made canon in 4.
    • Just pure fanwank speculation but it's interesting Juri has a very similar name to Bisons dolls, Juni and Juri, considering he renames them...
    • Balrog MIGHT be in SF1. Capcom have stated Mike is probably him.
    • Guile's famous hairdo is styled with a special-order army hair spray to keep it up.
    • Remy apparently is not related to Charlie or Guile, I have a sneaking suspicion Abel fits nicely into that space, when you think about how fanboy Ono works.
    • This one is fairly well known, but just in case- alex and Hugo's relationship is based around Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant.
    • Wikipedia claims Viper's nickname is Maya and the character from the Legend of Chun Li is supposed to be her. Dunno, I am suspicious of this one.
    • Vega is supposed to be a bullfighting ninja.
    • Cammy is supposed to be a clone of Bison, but also early European promo stuff said she was his ex lover... ew.

That'll do for a start :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I remember the GI JOE figures, back when i finally afforded sf2 for the snes, i really wanted one of these. Blanka one looked really slim mind you. But i couldnt afford it. But look at me now, posting this from my mac, **** you world.

they look so bad now lol

edit:
    hoganalex.jpg
    1039336414c848e6a1cfeb9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Sir Dudlington! So classy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    I remember the GI JOE figures, back when i finally afforded sf2 for the snes, i really wanted one of these. Blanka one looked really slim mind you. But i couldnt afford it. But look at me now, posting this from my mac, **** you world.

they look so bad now lol

If his name wasn't there, I don't think I'd know who that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Does anybody else think hugo looks like mel gibson on an andre the giant body???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Not SF, but Samuel Becket used to drive Andre the giant to school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gen was not Chun/Yun/Yang's sifu in the original Masahiko Nakahira manga, and I don't give a damn what Udon wrote afterwards.
    Their comic is just fanboy ****, while Nakahira's manga series (Super SFII: Cammy, SFA, SF: Sakura Ganbaru, SFIII: Ryu Final) had good character development & great action scenes.

Also, Bison's dolls are not related to Juri Han.
    Juri is a Korean girl who joined SIN. In fact, according to the wikia she fights (and defeats!) Juri & Juli in combat.

The dolls are: Cammy, Enero, Février, März, Aprile, Satsuki, Juni, Juli, Santamu, Jianyu, Xiaya, Noembulu & Decapre. Also note that they're named after months in various languages.

Also, Juli is from T.Hawk's (Mexican) tribe, original name Julia.
    She's quite... "different"... to Juri ;)
    8pyEZ.jpg
    And "Juli" is "July" in German - you should know that, Doom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

It's a little-known fact that, by 2010, Ken Masters had become a renowned biotech researcher and interplanetary cyborg crime fighter. This most likely explains the lengthy hiatus between Street Fighters 3 and 4.

On a slightly more serious note, the American flag tattooed on Guile's right shoulder is wrong. While it seems correct, American soldiers always wear the flag on that shoulder backwards so that it appears to be streaming behind them as they move forwards.

13941002.jpg

Obviously they don't mind making the French look like cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I thought I was the plot whore here...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    And "Juli" is "July" in German - you should know that, Doom!

Didn't we just go over this in the chat room?

That's all semi cannon, whether you like it or not, and yes I know Juri is not "related" to them, I also know why the dolls are named the way they are (they're actually all named after months). That still doesn't mean Ono didn't name her that way as a nod.

Furthermore I clearly stated that what I was saying was pure fanwank speculation, so I don't know where this righteous indignation is comng from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

• Far2 is punch

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

I thought the Akuma being Ryu's dad was from the alpha movies and was shot down by Capcom.

But did you know that Charlie was the US martial arts champion before Ken Masters took the title???

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Akuma's really crap at killing people. So far, he's failed to kill Bison, Gen, and Gouken.

Nah man he's just mad sound.

shame on everyone that uses boss or hidden boss characters

Bison/Seth/Akuma players.

BAD GAMES

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

they look so bad now lol

edit:
    hoganalex.jpg
    1039336414c848e6a1cfeb9.png

I had one of the Vega GI Joes as a kid. He was awful. With his waist attached to the rest of him by an elastic band. As far as I can remember he looked really terrible... I still thought he was cool as hell at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Akuma is ryus uncle no? He killed his brother (ryus dad) or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Sisko wrote: »
    Akuma is ryus uncle no? He killed his brother (ryus dad) or something? :confused:

That was in the awful awful Street Fighter Alpha Generations.

Let us never speak of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Akuma also failed in killing Gil. Mind, he succeeded, but obviously didn't hang around long enough to realize that Gil had a full super-bar going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Seeing as how Rose, Gen, Oni... in fact, anybody who's ever died in the comics has been featured in SFIV, it's clear that everybody sucks at killing everybody. I'm honestly surprised we made it to the third revision without seeing Charlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

• At one point Capcom was claiming Cody in SSF4 was not the same Cody as the hero of Metro City. I would guess the SFxT trailer deconfirms that though.
    • Guile and Ken are brothers in law. This was introduced in Studio Udon's comic and made canon in 4.
    • Just pure fanwank speculation but it's interesting Juri has a very similar name to Bisons dolls, Juni and Juri, considering he renames them...
    • Remy apparently is not related to Charlie or Guile, I have a sneaking suspicion Abel fits nicely into that space, when you think about how fanboy Ono works.

My thoughts/additions to a couple:

- Whoever at Capcom said the Cody one must have been smoking some strong stuff as as pretty much everything he does and all his interactions with Guy make it obvious he's the same guy. Hell, his appearance and moveset are from Alpha 3 anyway - where it's just as clear who he is.

- When Juri was first announced I was curious about the similar name issue but that was all put to rest in the SSF4 OVA where she's shown waltzing into an old Shadaloo base and roughing up all the dolls, including Juni and Juli. Actually you only see her dodge their initial attack and smile, then it cuts to her carrying their exhausted bodies from the base - fill in the blanks. ;)

- Remy as Abels son is an interesting theory, and would make sense. He's French, his emo nature stems from his dad leaving to fight and never coming back (experiments, amnesia, etc). Abel seems to become friends with Guile and even before meeting him he recognises the sonic boom - though it's never clear whether he knows it from Charlie or Seths imitation. Though if Guile ever met Remy you would wonder what he would've told him about his dad and whether or not he teaches him his sweet moves for whatever reason.

I think Gills survival of the SGS was supposedly not due to his resurrection but because it simply didn't work on him as it does the whole penance stare deal - Gill had no evil in his heart and believes himself to be an all around swell guy. Whether that's true or not who knows - could be though as what little I've seen of 3S endings he doesn't seem to suffer from villain ball, hell he bought that car fair and square! :pac:

• Advertisement

I think people are a bit undereducated in ireland when it comes to cliques/fashion and scenes.

Just to clarify
    SF3_Remy.gif

Long hair = not emo, indie
    coloured hair = not emo, more punk
    flare trousers = not even jeans, indie. Also coloured !
    business shoes = indie for sure, they aint slip on vans !
    rings = NOT EMO either, indie

the_horrors_1__1_.jpg
    The Horrors, huge indie band

strokes_paphotos_L220509.jpg
    The Strokes, BIGGEST INDIE band out there

Indie%2BMagazine%2B%2527the%2Bsame%2Bboy%2Byou%2527ve%2Balways%2Bknown%2527%2Bfall%2Bwinter%2B20107.jpg
    http://igaratih-themacaroni.blogspot.com/2010/12/indie-magazine-same-boy-youve-always.html

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

In a shocking storyline twist, Farz knows what it is to be an indie hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

what little I've seen of 3S endings he doesn't seem to suffer from villain ball, hell he bought that car fair and square! :pac:

Yeah, Gill seems pretty amicable. Yun's ending has him pretty much saying "Well I respect you opinion that my master plan is wrong, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. You can totally have control of your town though. Toodles!"
    If it wasn't for the fact he wants to destroy the world and remake/repopulate it in his own image, he'd be a pretty swell guy.

I'd like to know the story rational (if there is one), between the Thong Twins and Seth. Why do they look/move so similarly?

Shadowloo made Seth and the other washing machine stomach robots as potential bodies for Bison; but there isn't (AFAIK), any connection between the Illuminati and Shadowloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

S.I.N.

Shadoloo Illuminati Neighbours

Better than the goddamn Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

S.I.N.

Well I always thought that sf4 story was just meant to bridge sf2 and sf3

The illuminati has been around for hundreds of years and has controlled the world from the shadows. Then they did genetic experiments on gill and urien and gill developed a god complex so to speak..... And urien is mad jelly of his powers

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

S.I.N actually stands for Shadaloo Intimidation Network, which was a weapons division of Shadaloo. It became independent of Shadaloo some time after the events of SF2.

I think people are a bit undereducated in ireland when it comes to cliques/fashion and scenes.

Just to clarify
    SF3_Remy.gif

Long hair = not emo, indie
    coloured hair = not emo, more punk
    flare trousers = not even jeans, indie. Also coloured !
    business shoes = indie for sure, they aint slip on vans !
    rings = NOT EMO either, indie

the_horrors_1__1_.jpg
    The Horrors, huge indie band

strokes_paphotos_L220509.jpg
    The Strokes, BIGGEST INDIE band out there

Indie%2BMagazine%2B%2527the%2Bsame%2Bboy%2Byou%2527ve%2Balways%2Bknown%2527%2Bfall%2Bwinter%2B20107.jpg
    http://igaratih-themacaroni.blogspot.com/2010/12/indie-magazine-same-boy-youve-always.html

QED

Ahem.

Indie is a musical term, which used to mean independant labelled musicians before vacuous fashion twationistas decided it was anything to do with clothing.

Same for emo, it simply originated from emotional music.

Also be careful referring to punk as fashion, you wouldn't want an actual punk to hear you saying that.

So off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Remember when R'N'B used to be rythm and blues.

But you are the one who labels him emo, so youre the one that has accepted this music/fashion twationism. I'm merely point out that you are 100% wrong.
    Emotional music is not a genre, and EMO's technically dont have fringes either.

Again, its ignorance to the whole movement

in an case
    remy_iori_symbols.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

S.I.N.

Nah batman could take down shadoloo anyday of the week:cool:

Advertisement