Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to live when working in the city?

Options
  • 28-08-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I may be moving to a new job located just off St Stephens Green. The hours can range from being very early to very late (hotel work) and so I need good transportation or ability to cycle if close enough.

I am wondering what areas are good to look at either in Dublin itself or withing a 25 - 35 min train commute in via public transport.

I am looking to spend aprox 1,000 - 1,100 for a 2 - 3 bed with a decent sized garden for the tiddly wink :)

Any advice guys? You seem to be the best forum i could find to ask the question to.

Thanks x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ranelagh would suit you perfectly.

You can get the LUAS into Stephen's Green from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, Ranelagh's good though you might find it hard get a place that size with a garden at that price. Take a look on daft.ie and see if there's anything of that nature. Anywhere on the green Luas line should be good for you, I think. Or you could live in the city centre itself, you just need to pick a nice area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Stevo2007

Rathgar/Ranelagh/Beachwood/Rathmines/Miltown/Dundrum would be good places along the green luas line or >20 mins bus to the city.

For the city center itself, try Christchurch, Docklands, IFSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MissEmmylou

Thanks guys, nice to have a bit of direction rather than just using daft and searching for the whole of Dublin (some of the results seem to be pretty out there when i google map them! :eek: )

Appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

If you're looking north of the river Cabra might suit you. There are very nice 2-3 bedroom houses with gardens in your price range. It's also about 15-20 minutes to Stephens's Green on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Ranelagh would suit you perfectly.

You can get the LUAS into Stephen's Green from there.
    Not for the prices he is stating.

Good point. Might need to try north of the river. Dublin 7 area will get you a semi-detached with garden for that money or near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

just at a guess, but i think MissEmmylou might be a she..

I wouldn't say you'd need to go as far out as cabra though.. smithfield/stoneybatter have some places matching that description too as does the north circular road, granted they aren't as abundant as they would be further out.
    dublin 8 might also be another option..

actually, i take that back.. having just taken a quick look myself on daft.. the outdoor space is somewhat lacking in the houses closer to the city centre, at that price range at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

actually, i take that back.. having just taken a quick look myself on daft.. the outdoor space is somewhat lacking in the houses closer to the city centre, at that price range at least..

Yup, I live in stoneybatter, and there aren't really any places with outdoor space. The reason I mentioned Cabra is that it's less than ten minutes further from town but you can get a place almost twice the size, with a garden, for the same cost. I'm thinking of relocating there myself.

• Advertisement

There's an estate behind Arbour Hill prison that has garden space I think and it's fairly reasonable.

Of course it depends on how you feel living behind a prison for sex offenders.

There's an estate behind Arbour Hill prison that has garden space I think and it's fairly reasonable.

Of course it depends on how you feel living behind a prison for sex offenders.

not to mention the trade for which arbour hill is noted in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MissEmmylou

Thanks all and yes I am indeed a female ;)

Errr think i will stick away from prisons and sex offenders... call me mad but that doesnt sound a great place to live lol.

Found some good houses from the suggested areas! Cabra seems to be one of the best bets - now just fingers crossed that the job comes off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Thanks all and yes I am indeed a female ;)

Errr think i will stick away from prisons and sex offenders... call me mad but that doesnt sound a great place to live lol.

Found some good houses from the suggested areas! Cabra seems to be one of the best bets - now just fingers crossed that the job comes off :)

Drimnagh - up near hospital or bulfin estate in inchicore

It's actually a fine area to live in, I've been 2 minutes from the prison for the past 2.5 years and have yet to be interfered with. They tend to keep the prisoners in the prison, they don't let them wander down to Spar for coffee at break time or anything like that.

Advertisement