Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question....

• 28-08-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello all....could someone tell me why people clip the hair along the back of there livestock,has it something to do with lice when livestock being housed over the winter,is this a new thing,and is it an advantage..thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

its because their putting on pour on's i think , it doesn't have to be done tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gerry.H

Maybe it increases their sex appeal!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think it lets off heat along the back when animals are on a high conc diet, might help reduce pneumonia because the animals don't sweat as much. I'm open to correction though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, it helps them to keep cool, so less likely to sweat and get pneumonia.
    Supposed to, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

we clip a strip of the the backs (2 to 3 blades wide) also do the tails
    it cuts down on them sweating so in theory it cuts down on the risk of lice aswell, not sure if there is much of a performance benifit from doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

we used to do it in scotland were i worked about two months before the sales it gave them more beefy look and a straight topline also we would clip under bellies to make them look taller..maybe different

mad cattle would relax a lot when we would be doing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

jerdee wrote: »
    ...mad cattle would relax a lot when we would be doing it :)

To quieten any mad cattle in the crush, I rub my fingers down along their backbone.I saw a vet doing this years ago. Same effect. It does work.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think it lets off heat along the back when animals are on a high conc diet, might help reduce pneumonia because the animals don't sweat as much. I'm open to correction though.

I have heard that too, but I have also heard that cattle have no sweat glands except on their muzzles....... and that what looks like sweat on housed cattle is actually condensation and evidence of poor ventilation......hence the association of "sweating' with pneumonia.

Which would suggest the appropriateresponse to cattle "sweating" should be to remove side sheeting and leave the clippers in the box!

LC

Advertisement