Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backpack for running?

• 28-08-2011 3:55pm

can anyone recommend a backpack for running. thinking of jogging in and out of work and would need a bacpack for that. preferably something that is able to keep stuff from moving about inside when you're running as that is annoying...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I have this one here from Berghaus. Bought it in the Scout Shop on Liffey Street in Dublin. Great bag for running, only problem is my shoulders aren't symmetrical so sometimes the strap creeps down towards one of my shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Innov8 and OMM both do very good bags. I use this one: http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5946. Comfortably holds towel, shampoo and a full change of clothes including shoes and sits very snugly on your back. Both companies do smaller bags if you're going to be leaving stuff in work. (It's not uncommon for me to have to race with gear on my back so it's good for me to get used to carrying stuff when training, plus it cuts down on logistics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have an inov-8 backpack fir running to/from work.
    Its very light and small. I don't need to bring shoes or a towel so I can get away with a small one .

Very neat and sits snugly when running.

I got it from www.wiggle.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Hey guys,

Would be great if someone could recommend a medium size backpack for running. Had a look at some of the above, but not sure they'd suit me. Would need a school-bag size one, would occasionally have a laptop and the odd book as well as a change of clothes. FYI, am 5'5'' and female, in case that should be a consideration?!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I got a Deuter bag just before Christmas in 53 Degrees North. I'm not sure which model is it, but it has good shoulder straps, which are padded and have a stabilizer strap. It also has waist straps, which give it good stability. It takes a hydration bladder and along with that, fits (for me) a large DSLR, two lenses and two towels, so it's ample enough. You should drop into the shop and have a look as they have a good range of bags there in different sizes etc.

• Advertisement

I got a Deuter bag just before Christmas in 53 Degrees North. I'm not sure which model is it, but it has good shoulder straps, which are padded and have a stabilizer strap. It also has waist straps, which give it good stability. It takes a hydration bladder and along with that, fits (for me) a large DSLR, two lenses and two towels, so it's ample enough. You should drop into the shop and have a look as they have a good range of bags there in different sizes etc.

Great, thanks I will do. I've no idea what is important so this will be a great basis on which to start looking! Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

run44 wrote: »
    Great, thanks I will do. I've no idea what is important so this will be a great basis on which to start looking! Cheers

Some things to consider...

Will you need water - does the waist band of the bag carry a small water bottle or do you think you'll need access to a bladder?

Will you be using it for anything other than run to/from work?
    If considering any multi/adventure races, then the simplest form of bag here is a smaller internal size to cope with mandatory kit, with easy access elasticated/expandable pockets on the outside to store stuff you'll need during the race.
    In all likelihood, something to fit a laptop + change of clothes will be too large for a race pack, but you never know what sort of innovations in bags are out there.

If having the weight of a laptop, you might want to examine how the air flows around your back, otherwise you may get very sweaty with that weight in contact while you run.
    I have an old berghaus pack that has a mesh back, with the bag curved away from it to allow breathability. Don't know if you can still get them, and the one I have is more suited as a hiking/camping pack, so too big for running to work with - but something similar in a smaller size would be pretty good I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Like mentioned above the problem for me is having to carry a laptop - and on occasion an additional notepad/diary - depending on where work has brought me the previous day. And the bag I have is too close to my bag - so sweat is a problem - and then the weight of a 11in laptop becomes like a stone very quickly

Can any one recommend a bag, suitable for running say 4 - 6 miles, that has a laptop compartment? I don't bring shoes, towel, or big coat - so can get away with a small-ish bag overall.

Would like to buy in Ireland rather than online from outside of Ireland - support home business and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

these guys have a good selection : http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/

not all bags are on-line though, worth calling in.

Running bags are expensive though. 50 to 100 quid basically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Deuter do a few than have laptop compartments. Something like this one maybe what you're offer. I don't have this particular model myself but I do have 4 Deuter backpacks of various sizes and models that I use depending on volume needed and whether I'm hiking or running or need to slip in an hyrdation bladder.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-giga-rucksack-28-litres/#more

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your help and advice! In the end I bought the Berghaus 20L Remote Backpack. Got it through amazon and so it wasn't too pricey. Have ran to work with it a few times now and am very happy with it! Perfect fit for the laptop and a change of clothes.

got this one myself

http://www.geartested.net/cycling/deuter-speedlite-10-review/

very well made (top quality materials, zips etc.) and great for running. small size is an advantage as packs stuff in tight and close to your body for running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I have this one,
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-10-litre-rucksack-hydration-compatible/
    It allows you to insert a hydration pack when needed and has a built in rain cover that fits into a small pocket in the base.
    Pros: Very light and holds a good bit. Doesn't shake about.
    Cons: Haven't come across any yet, have been using it for over a year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Yeah, I had that one too Mossess. It's a lovely light bag. The only neg for me is that is chafes my sholders if wearing a running singlet but is grand with a tshirt.

Advertisement