Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain under breasts and along rib cage

Options
  • 28-08-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,
    I am 28 weeks pregnant and for the last 2 wks have been getting awful pain under my breasts where my bra sits. I initally thought that it was my bras so went and got measured and bought mat/nursing bras and a couple of sports bras. However the pain is still there and extends around to my back. The last few days i have worn no bras but pain is still there. I have taken gaviscon and paracetamol with no releif.

Has anyone else experienced this, know what is causing it or how to cure.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aquarius lady

:)Hi Frankie, Congrats on your pregnancy. I think that you should visit your GP for a proper diagnosis at this important time. In the meantime, try peppermint water, natural and no adverse effects to baby.Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fee123

Hi Frankie1
    I have the same problem and thought I must have pulled something it was very painful and I was waking up at night with it. I changed bras thinking it was too tight. When I went to my doc he said it was my stomach which is now located just under my rib cage. He advised me to take Maalox(I had never heard of this), I had already been drinking Gaviscon for heart burn and to be honest didn't believe that it was my stomach causing the pain but he was right and now I can manage it brilliantly.
    Maalox can be bought over the counter and is for acid indigestion. I would also suggest like the previous poster to check with your own GP as it may be something else. I just said I'd share my experience as it had been very frustrating for me so I feel your pain it was a relief to finally find the cause and resolve it.

Oh I had also been taking pain relief which did nothing for me

Congrats and best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Really common in pregnancy, or so they told me in the hospital. I also thought it was my bra. But same as you, even if i didnt wear one at all i still got it. T started for me around the same time in pregnancy as you are now, lasted a few weeks and then disappeared untill a few weeks before baby wwas born. In the antenatal class they said a hot water bottle could help, it didnt do much for me, but other women in the class found it gave them relief. The phsio dept told me it was from baby growing and pushing on ribs. It really is aHorrible pain but hopefully the hot water bottle will ease it for you. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

It's starting for me too. Mostly at night, possibly cos I'm tired. I'll check with the doc next time I'm in, early next week, but being honest - pretty much everything hurts at the moment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've had this a few times too, also starting around 28 weeks. So far the pain has been on and off and not lasting more than a few minutes at a time. Thought it was my bra too. It's good to know about the maalox stuff. :) I'll give it a try if it comes back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement