Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are MG MGF/TF's so cheap??

Options
  • 28-08-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

In the market for a cabriolet and cant help but notice that the MG's are considerably cheaper than most others on the market. The ones ive been looking at have low mileage and new NCT's between 2003 and 2005 yet are all under €5,000?!

Has to be some sort of catch, right?!
    Tagged:

Comments

K series engine prone to coolant loss and them hg issues if not sorted, the coolant issues are not biggies really, if the engine isn't cooked neither is a hg job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

MG / MGF /Rover and petrol freelanders all suffer from
    K series engine = Head gasket failure.Apart from this its a good lightweight free revving engine.

And n mgf have the old metro suspension which can be trouble some too.

If you keep a real good eye on coolant level you can live with one quiet cheaply as some lads have done here.

Maybe have a spare head ready to fit if you do buy one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I personally love them and would much rather have one over an MX-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I have an MGF which I bought as a bangernomics weekend car over the summer and I love it but it's not without it's issues.

Positives:
    • Loads of cheap parts and advice available
    • Great handling (when setup correctly)
    • Easy enough to work on
    • Looks good
    • Comfortable suspension when the ride height is set correctly
    • Decent boot
    • Fun to drive
    • Simple roof mechanism

Negatives:
    • Previous owners not caring because it's of little value and an MG
    • Head gasket issues
    • Handling when not setup correctly will put you in a ditch if you push on
    • Small niggly issues
    • High seating position

The HGF in the F/TF is generally due to engine being driven without coolant. This is mainly caused by a leak or burst pipe. A coolant level sensor will give you enough warning to safely pull the car over and avoid damage.

The suspension and handling can be easily sorted by setting the suspension height correctly (I've done this a home using a home made pump). Also having the correct tyres fitted will change the handling completely. I never realised until I tried another F that had the correct tyres fitted. Tyre pressures will also have a major impact on safe handling.

The MGF/TF is a great way to get to know a car and how to work on them. It's great fun, easy enough to work on and very rewarding to own.

However people who don't understand them will tell you stay away and that impending doom is following you around if you own one. As long as you are willing to put some time and effort into checking it and looking after the small things you should have a very rewarding experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MX5 all day long!

• Advertisement

MX5 all day long!
    Aye but you get a lot newer MG than you do MX

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Aye but you get a lot newer MG than you do MX

Wouldn't swop mine (well, the GF's, but I get to drive it);)
    But how about Honda S2000?
    Honda_S2000_004.jpg

Now THAT is nice!

I've never driven the S2000 but owners have told me their backs will never be the same again

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I've never driven the S2000 but owners have told me their backs will never be the same again

Would have to try, back is an issue alright, it gets dodgy sometimes.

But how about Honda S2000?...........
    Now THAT is nice!

Find a nice one for sub €5000 ;)
    A 160bhp VVCd TF is not bad value at all for someone with a bit of mechanical sympathy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement