Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

The episode wasn't great, but I have to say I'm disappointed in you guys. I expected at least one person to have posted a screengrab of Annie in the bavarian barmaid dress... :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

From some guy on reddit:
    So they basically had to cross out two lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Only got around to watching episodes 3 and 4 last night.

Still not feeling it as much as I used to, a very noticeable drop off in quality compared to previous seasons.

Still feel they're using the 'Dean' play on words far too often as well. It was brilliantly done in the first few seasons when he'd sub it into a word every couple of episodes, whereas now it's every single scene he's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Adam Devine of Workaholics is meant to be playing Winger's half-brother. That should be tight butthole.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Adam Devine of Workaholics is meant to be playing Winger's half-brother. That should be tight butthole.

I kind of Arnie/DeVito twins style thing kind of.

Lets hope they take some Ipecac and get scientists to check thier hypotenuses. Or make jerky together (not a euphamism).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Well that was considerably better...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I didn't really like Devine in this. Everything else was good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I kind of Arnie/DeVito twins style thing kind of.

Lets hope they take some Ipecac and get scientists to check thier hypotenuses. Or make jerky together (not a euphamism).

Are you one of the new writers?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Much better this week, especially with the Shawshank homage.

Also liked Shirley humming Daybreak at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

So they basically had to cross out two lines?

I think you missed the whole point. The reason they only gave him so few lines is because they didn't know if he was going to be available for that episode or not. They didn't want to have to write a full episode where Chevy plays a main part and then it turns out he had left the show already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That was good! Yay! The group dynamic was finally back. Also Jeff's Dad is hot.

The Dean's t-shirt slayed me though, I want one.

8sSqK57.jpg

The back said "Add to the spread, not the dead"

And at the start he was wearing Jeff's S1 Halloween costume. The fact he wasn't in drag and overusing Dean puns was great too, I actually felt like I was watching Community for the first time this season.

Britta's boombox thing was stupid, but that's just a tiny nitpicky thing in an overall good episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Great episode! Much better than last week's. Jeff's speech hit me right in the feels. Seriously, he is my favourite character on any show ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Really enjoyed that. :)

Felt like they actually made an episode of Community rather than whatever they were doing in the previous episodes. Hopefully it's a return to form now and not just a positive blip.

I wonder if this is the episode where Chevy chase had his outburst over his character's rascism, there were a couple of lines that fit his reported reasoning to rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I thought that was a really solid episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Not sure I understand the plaudits for this weeks ep. Thought it was pretty weak. Hardly laughed. Community has become just another mediocre 22 mins of comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Yeah I think some standards must have been lowered around here due to the lack of quality this season. I wouldn't describe that episode as anything more than ok to be honest.
    It's sad really to see one of my favourite shows just die like this, but I just got into Legit and that can fill the Community hole in my life because it's hilarious.:)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Are you one of the new writers?

damn right, he called it!

Devine was not used well though, sadly.

they better do die hard christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do I get a prize?

Decent episode but some of dialogue was cheese-tastic.

Adam Devine just pretty much played his same character from Workaholics. He even started talking about his muscles.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Do I get a prize?

you got paid I assume
    Decent episode but some of dialogue was cheese-tastic.

well you wrote it so you are to blame :D
    Adam Devine just pretty much played his same character from Workaholics. He even started talking about his muscles.

I havnt seen workaholics. Is it worth watching?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I enjoyed this weeks, though I don't think it's a coincidence that it also happened to be the most 'traditional' episode of series 4 so far; it seems like the writers don't have the confidence / interest to set things in Greendale anymore, which is a shame - Community was at its strongest when it felt more self-contained.

Hatred for the Dean continues, his creepy stalking of Jeff is a bit much to be remotely believable - doubly unbelievable that he'd be invited to the twee Thanksgiving dinner!

Oh and is there any hint of when Chevy leaves the show? Pierce is just dead weight at this stage, every script emphasises this & Chase just isn't bothering anymore either; his delivery makes 'phoned in' sound like an improvement.

It's an acquired taste, but if you like a comedy show with 3 stoner/slacker types that work in telemarketing getting up to ridiculous behaviour, then it's for you.

tumblr_mijfbsCdti1qeva83o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Read some of the reaction on this thread before watching so I was somewhat hopeful.

From the first line it was horrible. Jeff closes book, "So I'll see you all after the break", continues to sit in chair while other characters deliver flat lines. Nothing clever in that entire episode. Abed's link to a prison break was forced with no pay off.

The show may as well have a laughtrack now.

I don't think I will watch another episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its dead in the water, its completely soulless since DH walked, its been lobotomized, the genius level has gone from 100% to zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Thargor wrote: »
    Its dead in the water, its completely soulless since DH walked, its been lobotomized, the genius level has gone from 100% to zero.

I wouldn't say it's totally dead in the water, but you have a point. The cleverness has gone from the show, it's become more about stupid gags and cultural references that, while initially promising, really don't follow through... we're over a third of the way through this season... I sincerely hope they turn it around, and end on a high after this season... I think they'll be flagging a dead horse if they go for a fifth season... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and is there any hint of when Chevy leaves the show? Pierce is just dead weight at this stage, every script emphasises this & Chase just isn't bothering anymore either; his delivery makes 'phoned in' sound like an improvement.

He will be in every single episode this season.

• Advertisement

cian68 wrote: »

He will be in every single episode this season.
    I thought there were two he wasn't in ?

Yeah I thought I read somewhere that he wouldn't be in two episodes.

I think he's not in the second last episode and the finale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

he's in the final but not a episode or two before that as they had shot the final before the rest of the episodes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

2 episodes too few in my opinion, going by his performances so far. I feel sorry for the rest of the cast really: regardless what we think of the series so far, they all clearly love working together and get on really well - it comes out in their own performances. But Chevy hanging around & bringing the mood down with his obvious lack of professionalism must be really trying at times...

can only make them stronger, wonder who he'll be replaced with or will he just disappear or will they give him a send off. Would be nice for him to be given a send off instead of just brushed under the carpet I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

allanb49 wrote: »
    can only make them stronger, wonder who he'll be replaced with or will he just disappear or will they give him a send off. Would be nice for him to be given a send off instead of just brushed under the carpet I think
    DH would probably kill him in as a device to being the group back together or stay at Greendale (or whatever). The new bunch probably won't replace him now that they've already done that in jest. They'll probably just end up saying he graduated or something

I enjoyed that episode, didn't laugh a whole lot but still enjoyed it.
    Saw the ending coming, but still loved the "Why did I do that?" line. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Loved that one. Chang not understanding anything even simple stuff like hats was brilliant.

"You love her so much, you called her over and over and over again. Even though you don't know her or how to use a phone or what a number is."

havnt finished the episode yet, but had to say I loved
    shirley's line about kevin being a choice

also I am a sucker for these type of episodes.

edit:

finished it.

Yeah I liked that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Really enjoyed that episode. Although I always love episodes featuring a nice dosage of Chang

That was great! I'm getting a bit of a season 2 vibe from the show atm.

I always love Abed's documentaries.

Although tbh if this was the episode that pissed Chevy off I don't blame him, they took his folksy racism a bit far with the puppets

The puppet thing was a bit far and wouldn't be surprised if that's what set him off. It must be tough for Chevy to do things like that - I mean, in his heyday, he was rubbing shoulders with the likes of Richard Pryor and others. And now then they had him doing racist hand puppets.

I wonder if this episode was shot first or at least early, because this is the most animated we've seen him so far.

Apart from that, for me, it was the first proper Community episode, where I actually did laugh once or twice.

Aaand ratings drop to a 1.0.
    Really don't know why it fluctuates so much, the last two episodes were good so they should have kept the viewers in.

Apparently it was because of some DST thing on, BBT dropped to 4.5 which is a low for them.

Another Greendale episode, my goodness we are spoilt the last two weeks :rolleyes: It was enjoyable enough, even if the documentary format had been done before, and you could predict the twist about Kevin a mile away; especially once Jeff decided to unmask the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Enjoyed that. Two in a row for me. Hopefully the worst is past us.

Was talking about Chase leaving last night and we where saying it would be awesome if as a final FU to Chase they got Bill Murray in to replace him.

allanb49 wrote: »
    Was talking about Chase leaving last night and we where saying it would be awesome if as a final FU to Chase they got Bill Murray in to replace him.
    Well his ego would certainly be a good fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I enjoyed that episode, didn't laugh a whole lot but still enjoyed it.
    Saw the ending coming, but still loved the "Why did I do that?" line. :D

I loved that bit too.

Although it did depress me when I realised it's possibly the first time I've spontaneously laughed in about 3 episodes :(

Best of the season so far, and a couple of clever quick jokes to boot (macguffin institute, heh)

jT4rtZS.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement