Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At this stage Modric should never wear the shirt again.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Morgans

Hatch99 wrote: »
    It's called people having different opinions. If giving an opinion is being immature, well i might aswell never post again so. And if this 'handful' is not good enough for you, you know what to do...

Im sorry for trying to point out how silly the anti-Modric brigade are and hopefully someone might see sense from my posts.

If not, that's fine. Continue to boo the man. They way he is being treated is a symptom why Spurs will never be a fixture in the champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Morgans wrote: »
    He signed it Im sure because Spurs were in the champions league and that is where he belonged. If Spurs qualified for the champions league last year, this might not be a conversation again, but its not hard to see why he wants to play in it again. He is one of the best players in Europe not playing in it.

This idea that players are off limits because they are on contracts is ridiculous and players shouldnt have their head turned by huge improvements of their salaries. And yes, he had every chance to turn down the contract, and Spurs couldnt believe their stars when they got him at such a salary. No wonder they wanted him tied to it for 6 years.

I cant believe he is being labelled greedy when there are at least 5 or 6 players who could be playing week in week out but decide to take their huge wages from Spurs and sit on their arse. Something one poster on here advises for Modric.

Its a disappointingly predictable reaction. Spurs can do no wrong and the player is completely wrong.

I never said he was off limits, no player is off limits. The Bentleys of this world are a cancer of our club, but every club has them...

Another thing, I never labelled him greedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

They way he is being treated is a symptom why Spurs will never be a fixture in the champions league.

Absolute rubbish , talking through your ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Im sorry for trying to point out how silly the anti-Modric brigade are and hopefully someone might see sense from my posts.

If not, that's fine. Continue to boo the man. They way he is being treated is a symptom why Spurs will never be a fixture in the champions league.

Dont apologise, it's your opinion, i have no issue with that, just because some disagree doesn't make them wrong.

BERBA wrote: »
    so you think he's not being greedy?

No.

If Spurs had done eveything possible to keep him at the club - made him the top earner for instance - had Levy treated him with some respect instead of having a big dick competition with him when he returned from his holidays.

Then yes, if money was the only thing, he could be called greedy.

However, they havent tried to keep him by asking what he wanted and doing their best to facilitate it. They have tried to hold him prisoner to his contract.

Its not just money, its a better club playing champions league, willing to pay him the wages of a world class player. Its the difference of playing Real Madrid, Inter Milan, and AC Milan last year and Shamrock Rovers this year.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Dont apologise, it's your opinion, i have no issue with that, just because some disagree doesn't make them wrong.

Doesn't necessarily make them wrong. They can be wrong alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

had Levy treated him with some respect instead of having a big dick competition with him when he returned from his holidays.
    Then yes, if money was the only thing, he could be called greedy.
    However, they havent tried to keep him by asking what he wanted and doing their best to facilitate it. They have tried to hold him prisoner to his contract.

This is the same guy that said the following when signing his 6yr contract: "Tottenham Hotspur gave me my chance in the Premier League and I want to go on to achieve great success here with them. Yes, there have been enquiries from other big clubs, but I have no interest in going anywhere. Last season's top-four finish was an indication of where we are as a Club and I feel I can continue to improve and go on to achieve everything I want to at Spurs.

So then we fall back one season and the boy suddenly has an interest in going somewhere else! We gave the boy his chance in the EPL, Wenger and SAF both considered him too small for the EPL... Levy took a £16.5m gamble where others wouldn't, he could of turned out to be the next Rebrov!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Why didn't Spurs offer Modric a massive pay rise when this story broke ages ago?

Why hasn't he still been offered one? Nobody can deny he is well deserving of earning more than some of the wasters he was on less than.

If your asking me whose version of events I'd believe, I'd take Luka's word over Daniel Levy's everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

what happened with rooney threw a strop? huge contract increase and look at his form now. best of his career

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

mickman wrote: »
    what happened with rooney threw a strop? huge contract increase and look at his form now. best of his career

5 months later though! He was useless for large parts of last season. He only really had a good end to the season.

• Advertisement

I don't think that it follows that you give players loads of money and they will play well. Need David Bentley be mentioned again. What was definite was that Rooney was a top class player that was wanted by other clubs, who were willing to pay him a wage that he believed he was worth.

I think Ferguson tried to force a stand off with him with the press conferences etc when the story broke. Not unlike Levy really. Eventually United gave in, paid him and ended up winning the title. THey understood that if they wanted to play with the big boys, they have to pay like the big boys.

You need to treat your best players well. You have to be aware that City and Chelsea will try to prize them away. United, as Rooney showed, are not immune to this threat. Signing players up to long contracts is not about keeping players at the club; that wont happen. Its about ensuring there will be a large transfer fee when they inevitably leave. Spurs want to play with the big boys, just not pay what the big boys pay. A large part being those on the biggest contracts dont deserve them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

mickman wrote: »

It's not exactly the kind of behavious we want to encourage though. The Rooney saga showed exactly what is wrong with the Premier League at the moment.

Eventually United gave in, paid him and ended up winning the title. THey understood that if they wanted to play with the big boys, they have to pay like the big boys.

They didn't win the title because they paid him. They won the title because the rest of the players stepped up and filled the role that rooney used to fill. He was **** for the vast majority of the season.

That's true. He was ****e from Bayern Munich last March, through the world cup. The point is that Form is temporary, class permanent. He still helped win the title, and scored the iconic goal from last year. Its funny how the bad publicity in the press (smoking, pissing while on nights out) have stopped now that the contract negotiations have been resolved.

I think Rooney was left with no option to do things the way he did by united last year, who didnt want to pay him and decided to take the transfer negotiations public to shame into a climbdown.

And that Modric has conducted himself far better this summer. The stories to the press are coming from harry who I think wants to have a decision made somewhere, and Levy trying to prove his power.

Harry confirms that Luka is staying. If Levy doesn't use the opportunity to do his best to get things right, the same thing will happen again in January and next summer.

Yeah, it's really in our hands now. If the team can move on and make a serious push for a Champions League spot, and we give him some more money, then we'll hopefully keep him. One thing i know for sure, i don't want a January transfer window dedicated to Modric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, it's really in our hands now. If the team can move on and make a serious push for a Europa League spot, and we give him some more money, then we'll hopefully keep him. One thing i know for sure, i don't want a January transfer window dedicated to Modric.

I think that's our best hope realistically.
    Agree with you though,but remember how Berbatov sulked his way around when he didn't get his transfer...I'd sooner he was sold today,cash in while it's there.
    That's assuming Parker has signed.

I never said it was a realistic push, but Champions League is where we have to aim for.

Also, I don't think Modric will do a Berbatov to be honest. The move isn't going to happen now, so he'll keep his head down and play as best as he can. Berbatov had always been a sulker. He was quality at times, but had a bad attitude from time to time. Modric (hopefully) isn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Modric saga will rear its ugly head at every transfer season, until his wish is granted. 40 million and he’s yours, any offer below that figure is derogatory. Why didn’t Tottenham put in a buyout clause in his contract, it would of put a stop to any cheeky bids being placed?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The Modric saga will rear its ugly head at every transfer season, until his wish is granted. 40 million and he’s yours, any offer below that figure is derogatory. Why didn’t Tottenham put in a buyout clause in his contract, it would of put a stop to any cheeky bids being placed?

That's a fair point. Modric will be one of the best players not to be CL cup tied in January. Its always tempting for those involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If you play EL are you not cup tied for the CL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

ziedth wrote: »
    If you play EL are you not cup tied for the CL?

Until Christmas, then the club can choose one player that played in the EL to play in the CL. Remember at Real Madrid a few seasons ago when they bought Huntelaar & Diarra who had both played in the EL, they had to choose one and they chose Diarra.

if there is a scramble for Luka again in January and we havent given him the wages he deserves, we only have ourselves to blame.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7189033/Mo-Money-Modric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

if there is a scramble for Luka again in January and we havent given him the wages he deserves, we only have ourselves to blame.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7189033/Mo-Money-Modric

Just when we thought we could concentrate on the football again eh :(

Advertisement