Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation for Graduates?

Options
  • 28-08-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who is slightly annoyed about the lack of orientation events for those of us who are coming to UCD for the first time as graduates. I thought, as someone who in the next week or so will be handing over to UCD the bones of €8,000 that there would at least be something organized to show us around campus, show us the library, some social event organized?

The graduate school that I am attending is having an orientation morning on the 12th Sept, but I am moving into on-campus accommodation on the 5th, so I have a week of wandering around aimlessly. Does anyone know of anything organized for MA students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Am I the only one who is slightly annoyed about the lack of orientation events for those of us who are coming to UCD for the first time as graduates. I thought, as someone who in the next week or so will be handing over to UCD the bones of €8,000 that there would at least be something organized to show us around campus, show us the library, some social event organized?

The graduate school that I am attending is having an orientation morning on the 12th Sept, but I am moving into on-campus accommodation on the 5th, so I have a week of wandering around aimlessly. Does anyone know of anything organized for MA students?

I would agree with you on this even though i did my undergrad in UCD aswell there is very little fuss for graduate students.
    I don't know of anything specifically organized for MA students. ME students do have a few bits organised but most of this is organised by the students themselves instead of the college.
    As for tours and the likes. Most of them go on for the first couple of weeks. Library tours/IT inductions go on during most of september and it is generally up to yourself to attend these when ever you are free. You can arrange to get a campus tour at any time as well. Plus i'd imagine you will get a tour on the morning of the 12th.
    In reality orientation is more for 1st years. To get them used to living away from home and making friends. they presume post grads are well able to do this at this stage and so don't really need it

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Thanks for that. I just wanted to meet other postgrads outside of my course and I thought orientation would be a good time to do that. Plus I thought that the ents crowd would have something organized geared towards postgrads.

Thanks for that. I just wanted to meet other postgrads outside of my course and I thought orientation would be a good time to do that. Plus I thought that the ents crowd would have something organized geared towards postgrads.

In reality UCD is so big that it is very hard to get to know people in other courses straight away. Your better off to get to know your own bunch first and then get to know the rest. The best way to get to know students from other courses is by joining sports teams and societies.

There will be plenty of stuff organised by ents in the first few weeks. Again though not much specifically aimed at post grads

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

You'll have to use the Orientation designed for all new entrants into the college! It is one size fits all, I'm afraid, but that goes for most entering undergrads as well. It is true that graduates will have to do a lot more of the leg work to find out about orientation events than undergraduates.

Sure there will be programme specific stuff that graduates will not receive, but on the plus side MA classes are small and are *significantly* easier for people to know everyone else in. And of course, freshers week is for absolutely everyone, fresher under/post graduate and returning student alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

I was wondering about this myself OP. As it stands, I am having an orientation meeting for a half hour on Monday, which seems like a really short period of time. Wouldn't be too hard to take us to the library:pac:

I understand the emphasis on Undergrads though. It's a much bigger step going to a college for the first time, than moving to do a postgrad, we've generally had 3 years to know the basics and to learn to ask if we want something. What does the half hour in a classroom entail I wonder, probably a generic welcoming speech and off you go:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Hey guys!

I'm an orientation guide so I'll see if I can field a few questions if you want to throw them this way.

So tomorrow is the last day of Orientation week and yes, it is far more geared towards undergrads but if you'd like to come in and find either myself or someone else in a blue t-shirt we'd be more than happy to show you guys around campus just come up to an info stand or just stop someone! I've been giving unscheduled tours to international and postgrad students all week so all you need do is ask. Anyone is good but if you want to find me I'm the only guide in tomorrow with red hair ;)

I'd recommend you all go to freshers the 19-22 and join something! anything! (cough taekwon-do if you really want to make me happy cough) It's the best way of meeting people around campus :)

Anyway, any questions I can answer online fire this way!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Hey guys!

I'm an orientation guide so I'll see if I can field a few questions if you want to throw them this way.

So tomorrow is the last day of Orientation week and yes, it is far more geared towards undergrads but if you'd like to come in and find either myself or someone else in a blue t-shirt we'd be more than happy to show you guys around campus just come up to an info stand or just stop someone! I've been giving unscheduled tours to international and postgrad students all week so all you need do is ask. Anyone is good but if you want to find me I'm the only guide in tomorrow with red hair ;)

I'd recommend you all go to freshers the 19-22 and join something! anything! (cough taekwon-do if you really want to make me happy cough) It's the best way of meeting people around campus :)

Anyway, any questions I can answer online fire this way!

Fair play to ya!

Where is J104 in Newman Building, Newman Building I've seen beside the lake? That's where orientation is for me, seems everything goes on in the Newman building! All my lectures there too:cool:

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Fair play to ya!

Where is J104 in Newman Building, Newman Building I've seen beside the lake? That's where orientation is for me, seems everything goes on in the Newman building! All my lectures there too:cool:

The newman building is a maze I have no idea how anyone finds their way round it. The room is somewhere on the first floor as the j"1"04 denotes first floor, now you just need to find the room on that floor. I have no idea what the "J" stands for though.

The newman building is the arts building so if your in arts then thats why your in there the whole time.

cozzie55 wrote: »
    The newman building is a maze I have no idea how anyone finds their way round it. The room is somewhere on the first floor as the j"1"04 denotes first floor, now you just need to find the room on that floor. I have no idea what the "J" stands for though.

The newman building is the arts building so if your in arts then thats why your in there the whole time.

J is the block of classrooms/ the wing, generally different schools are located in different areas. If you go in the front door of the newman building you'll find letters and lines colour coded on the floor. Just follow the line that matches the letter. Nice and easy, they have to do something to get people round that maze :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 a8m8c

I agree. I know its presumed postgrads should know more than first years but since i attend a very small college the first time, UCD feels like a city! I wish there was a meetup for postgrads too.

• Advertisement

Hey guys

Know it doesn't mean anything to you guys now orientation is over but I'm going to put it forward to the powers that be that we at least get a campus tour organised for grads next year. It's really a bit ridiculous as is so I'll try get something going.

Advertisement