Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Become my own ISP using radio links

• 28-08-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Setup my own internet link, just for me....... I wonder :rolleyes:

Living in the country DSL is not an option not to mind fibre. I had a few Wireless Internet Providers over the years but they just cant provide the service I would like, on-line gaming is my addiction and you just need a stable connection for that.

I can see the town of Youghal from my house complete and a few masts along the top of the town.

The question is simple:
    Could I ask Eircom or some other provider for an internet connection, Put some radio equipment on a mast and send the signal out to my house ?

Can't be that hard, I used to get interned from a wireless ISP there before so it can be done on a commercial basis, but what about an ordinary domestic user like myself ?

How much would it cost ? I could buy the equipment here

Speed is not the issue, Qos is.

Anyone any Idea's ?

P.S. It is not my intention to share the link with any other like my neighbours, I dont want to become an ISP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

In theory it would be easy enough. However, I am not sure about around Youghal! There is no problem getting a 100Mb (or whatever) link to your own high site and then getting dropped onto the ISP's backbone. This is pretty much how commercial uplinks works and I have purchased a few for clients over the years. The downside is that they tend to pretty expensive, that is; multiples of what you would pay be for an ordinary connection.

Your best bet is contacting the business sales of an ISP in your area, they will be able to quote you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Getting any provider to beam it out to you specially will probably not happen, unless you go for a high end commercial connection from the likes of Airspeed or Digiweb but this will cost you €1k+ a month so unless you have just won the lottery it probably won't be a runner for you.

If you got a connection in Youghal as you say you could send it wirelessly back to yourself, eg. get a DSL connection at a friends house in Youghal and then send it wirelessly back to yourself using an access point and CPE and depending on the distance and line of sight it should be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Jesus its sounding kinda expensive.

Stinicker wrote: »
    If you got a connection in Youghal as you say you could send it wirelessly back to yourself, eg. get a DSL connection at a friends house in Youghal

I could possibly do that but my fear would be that that kind of agreement can only end in tears so it would be a last resort.

Advertisement