Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You don't 'do' candles, do you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just seems like another ridiculous 'hack' that takes more effort than it could ever be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nah its a good tip for people who go on long hikes, they weigh nothing, cheap, waterproof, odourless, last forever and probably burst into very hot longlasting flame when shown a spark. I keep charcloth in a tin at the bottom of my rucksack but might stick a couple of these in there with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

New Home wrote: »
    Yes, that's exactly the Soup Stone I meant. You put the stone in water, add lots of yummy ingredients, and hey presto, you've got soup, all thanks to the stone. The Lucky Iron Fish is similar, in the sense that you add it to whatever you're cooking, and hey presto, an iron-full meal. :)

If you're one of the 1 in 80 Irish people who have Haemochromatosis, using one of these isn't a good idea.

Google 'celtic curse'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A friend of mine has haemochromatosis, it's an awful disease, especially if it's not diagnosed promptly. But this fish is used in areas where people have chronic iron deficiencies, not the opposite...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cone of shame makeover

268639.jpg

Anyone remember when the lifehacking forum included useful things?

Good times.

Feel free to contribute. :)

Feel free to contribute. :)

When I have something useful to contribute, I will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

syklops wrote: »
    Anyone remember when the lifehacking forum included useful things?

Good times.

It's not much use to the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,292 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thargor wrote: »
    Nah its a good tip for people who go on long hikes, they weigh nothing, cheap, waterproof, odourless, last forever and probably burst into very hot longlasting flame when shown a spark.
    I'd be surprised if a spark was enough to light them tbh. I bring dryer lint with me camping to start a fire.
    I can see Keane's point. It's a lot of work when a readily available product does the same job. It's not hard to keep firelighters dry and away from food. especailly considering these days the commonly available ones are the low odeor, waxy ones that come in a sealed foil tray.

http://www.redheads.com.au/images/prod/lighters_24b.jpg

• Advertisement

Rightly or wrongly, when I see 'Lifehacking' I read 'MacGyver-isms', as in make do with something else when the real thing is not available. Like using steel wool and a battery to start a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Rightly or wrongly, when I see 'Lifehacking' I read 'MacGyver-isms', as in make do with something else when the real thing is not available. Like using steel wool and a battery to start a fire.

aye, some things here would qualify as "Handicraft" rather than a useful tool substitute

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if a spark was enough to light them tbh. I bring dryer lint with me camping to start a fire.
    I can see Keane's point. It's a lot of work when a readily available product does the same job. It's not hard to keep firelighters dry and away from food. especailly considering these days the commonly available ones are the low odeor, waxy ones that come in a sealed foil tray.

http://www.redheads.com.au/images/prod/lighters_24b.jpg
    If you fluffed up an edge with your knife like you're supposed to with tinder I guarantee a mix of cotton wool and candle wax would go straight up from a magnesium spark, 1000X better than trying to use twigs or paper especially in less than dry conditions.

If you fluffed up an edge with your knife like you're supposed to with tinder I guarantee a mix of cotton wool and candle wax would go straight up from a magnesium spark, 1000X better than trying to use twigs or paper especially in less than dry conditions.

Yeah sure better than twigs. But we were comparing it with firelighters, char paper, or laundry lint.

Anyway next time I go camping, I'll test out the wax pads.

Yeah sure better than twigs. But we were comparing it with firelighters, char paper, or laundry lint.
    None of which have wax to repel water though? Also the wax impregnated wool would burn for a long time without stinking the place up like a firelighter, char paper and laundry lint are gone in a flash...

None of which have wax to repel water though? Also the wax impregnated wool would burn for a long time without stinking the place up like a firelighter, char paper and laundry lint are gone in a flash...

As I said above most firelighters these days are wax based, odourless one, that come with a foil seal. That's what I use.
    But I'm willing to give wax pads a shot. While I'm melting wax I might as well do some wax impregnated laundry lint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

aw can we get back to the pics & less of the chat?

frash wrote: »
    aw can we get back to the pics & less of the chat?
    There's been maybe 10 pics this year, I don't think we're missing out on much :pac:

As I said above most firelighters these days are wax based, odourless one, that come with a foil seal. That's what I use.
    But I'm willing to give wax pads a shot. While I'm melting wax I might as well do some wax impregnated laundry lint ;)
    But then do firelighters take a spark from a magnesium rod like most hikers carry as easily as fluffed up cotton FFS! Its almost like there are different solutions available for the same problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

This ! Just about everything we post here is available commercially. The fun is in doing things differently. IMO if there was to be a 'no chat' rule in this forum then it may as well be locked now. Lifehacking tips NEED to be discussed, torn apart, and, if possible, improved upon.

All IMVHO of course.

• Advertisement

Not exactly a 'life hack', but definitely a 'good to know'.

tumblr_nvecqvQkMI1sa4vz3o1_500.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To measure interpupillary distance , measure it roughly , then to confirm put two pinholes in a piece of paper that far apart.

Handy for when you get a free eye test but then get glasses on the interweb.

Not exactly a 'life hack', but definitely a 'good to know'.

tumblr_nvecqvQkMI1sa4vz3o1_500.png

Takes off glasses, looks at inner frame. Good to know.

syklops wrote: »
    Takes off glasses, looks at inner frame. Good to know.

Takes off glasses, looks at inner frame, looks at frame on other side, scratches head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Take off glasses to read small print? Nice trick!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

7652_fb94.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

mrcheez wrote: »
    Not everyone has the same eyesight problems. I have to take my glasses OFF to read.

Unfortunately my frames don't have the measurements on the inner frame. But if they did, I'd be fine not needing to wear my glasses to see it.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Reading small print is not an issue if you are shortsighted.
    (far sighted, it is of course)
    7652_fb94.jpeg
    :confused:
    I have no idea what that the point of that is supposed to be. Looks a lot more expensive and complicated than simply putting in a floor drain.

Looks like it's only a render though. Prob a student project that thought they were about to strike it rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

:confused:
    I have no idea what that the point of that is supposed to be. Looks a lot more expensive and complicated than simply putting in a floor drain.

A floor drain will leave the floor wet. This (if properly designed and used) will not.

Meaning you can have a shower, and the next person can use the bathroom immediately in their socks or slippers without getting wet feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

....... Prob a student project that thought they were about to strike it rich.

or a last minute project

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Ad-Mosely-Folding-Bathtub-Chicago-Cabinet-Hot-Bath-Mother-Bathing-Baby-MX7-/371446785546?hash=item567bf4260a

Advertisement