Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifehacking pics - Simples.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

12105940_1657181994557013_3767943919235496474_n.jpg?oh=68fa36596d26118b1c630824a8f7c56a&oe=56C07EAC

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

288084.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

You know sometimes i hate watching videos like the second video. His workroom is lovely and spacious and the tools are wow. beautiful saws, clean environment.

THen I have to go and look at mine:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wouldn't that scratch the screen? Metal on glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mrcheez wrote: »

Would you use an expensive phone without a screen protector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mrcheez wrote: »

Its metallic thread, not metal. Its nylon thread wrapped in foil.

Its the same stuff you see in coils in some apliances.

In the Ingress store just before christmas they had conductive gloves. I was very tempted to get a set. Now, I think I'll just mod my mittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Would you use an expensive phone without a screen protector?

I never use a screen protector and never seen the need for one. Unless you are very careless, they are fairly tough to scratch these days. Far easier to crack which a screen protector is useless for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Same, plus modern screens have such a silky smooth responsive feel its a travesty putting squeaky cheap plastic on them. Havent seen a scratch on a screen since the Nokia days, Gorilla Glass has made that issue obsolete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

tumblr_o2h60uiYV21rxpytqo1_400.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now, THAT is genius.

You could do the same job just as easy with a Swiss army knife, or any blade, what possible situation would you be in where you have a screwdriver, a pencil sharpener and a clothes peg but no blade? Or just buy a wire stripper:

wire-stripper-crimper-cutter-666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,291 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thargor wrote: »
    You could do the same job just as easy with a Swiss army knife, or any blade, what possible situation would you be in where you have a screwdriver, a pencil sharpener and a clothes peg but no blade? Or just buy a wire stripper:
    The peg creates a depth gauge so you can't over-strip. Most people, who are used to doing it, will prob over-strip the wires.
    I'd imagine most households have a screwdriver, a sharpener and a peg. I'd say less than 10% have wire strippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

You could do the same job just as easy with a Swiss army knife, or any blade, what possible situation would you be in where you have a screwdriver, a pencil sharpener and a clothes peg but no blade? Or just buy a wire]

Uuh, you might be advised to look up the phrase 'lifehacking'. you don't seem to get it.

Theres good Lifehacks and pointless ones...

Theres good Lifehacks and pointless ones...

Bladeless pencil sharpener... pointless... good one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

wire-stripper-crimper-cutter-666.jpg

The methods you mentioned are nowhere near as easy and as efficient as using the peg and blade. See how cleanly and quickly the insulations comes off in the gif.

You could give this tool to a disabled person with only 2 fingers on one hand, and 1 finger on the other and they could use it to strip the wire.

Or with the use of a table they would only need 1 finger on each hand.

Also its really awesome given how cheap and effective it is.

FFS when are you ever going to need to assemble this and hand it to a disabled person though?

The disabled person could assemble it him/herself. I had a relative who lost 4 fingers and most of the palm of her hand in an explosion, and she could do almost everything with what was left.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    See how cleanly and quickly the insulations comes off in the gif.
    TBH, the person using a knife would have the insulation off while you are still looking for a sharpener. It's handy for somebody who can't strip a wire. But speed isn't one of the advantages.

Actually, it only took the outer insulation off, the inner insulation on the individual cores still needs to be stripped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Been using nail clippers as wire strippers for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Mellor wrote: »
    The peg creates a depth gauge so you can't over-strip. Most people, who are used to doing it, will prob over-strip the wires.
    I'd imagine most households have a screwdriver, a sharpener and a peg. I'd say less than 10% have wire strippers.

The peg doesn't create a depth gauge, you can see it's still open when the user stops, it's likely already bitten into the inner wires, another rotation and it definitely would. Even if it was a useful depth control it would only be so for a certain wire diameter/outer insulation thickness.

I have a screwdriver, don't have any wooden pegs and neither of the 2 sharpeners I have have a screw on blade. I do have a multitude of knives, scissors, pincers, pliers etc. that would do a far better job and also a wire stripper...

SuperS54 wrote: »
    The peg doesn't create a depth gauge, you can see it's still open when the user stops, it's likely already bitten into the inner wires, another rotation and it definitely would. Even if it was a useful depth control it would only be so for a certain wire diameter/outer insulation thickness.

I have a screwdriver, don't have any wooden pegs and neither of the 2 sharpeners I have have a screw on blade. I do have a multitude of knives, scissors, pincers, pliers etc. that would do a far better job and also a wire stripper...

It looks closed, or very nearly closed, in this shot imo.
    FCTmUh8.png

I'm aware it only works on certain gauges. That's my point :confused:
    It won't strip the smaller inner wires in that gif, so whats the point?
    I think you are misunderstanding my post tbh. I'm in favour of the knife.
    the person using a knife would have the insulation off while you are still looking for a sharpener

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

IIRC the peg and blade hack was first put together by a rabbai for doing circumcisions.

Now that's genius.
    You arrive to the ceremoney, they're all looking at you. And you left your bag of tricks in the taxi.
    You don't want to end up looking like a schmuck.

diy-book-reader-bathtub.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

5507_da0e_605.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Love that bike chain cleaner :)

Advertisement