Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evangelion 3.0: Q

Options
  • 28-08-2011 7:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So Eva 2.0 was shown on Japanese TV the other night, and it included a new and painfully brief preview of Quickening. There's a small youtube war going on trying to get the clip to stay up but here's one:

Pretty much just more Asuka in an eyepatch (a little shiner this time) but also the promise of a space battle. Hopefully the admirable trend of 2.0 towards new content shall be continued, especially given the way it ended.

The most painful news though is the release date: a distant Autumn 2012. Given the rate they're translating these things, it'll probably be 2013 before we get an official English language release. Boo-urns!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

It's only a little over a year away. I wonder if we'll get a remade version of Asuka and Shinji's dance number like the one to used to defeat Israfel.

I suppose we'll have to wait until 2015/16 for the fourth part.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Evade wrote: »
    It's only a little over a year away. I wonder if we'll get a remade version of Asuka and Shinji's dance number like the one to used to defeat Israfel.

I heard they'll be releasing the 3rd and 4th ones at the same time. I can't remember where so..... not much good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

You could watch the series..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Evade wrote: »

I doubt it since we should be up to episode 23/24 now which does suggest it's going to be entirely new content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There seems to be a bit of confusion on a fourth film. It was the initial plan, but people (aka anonymous people on the internet :pac:) are saying 3.0 and 4.0 might be released together. Or 4.0 might just be a brief epilogue at the end of 3.0. Who knows, there's a long time to wait before the next film so I'm sure we'll know more closer to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

If they made 3.0 & 4.0 into a 3 hour+ epic it'd pretty much be my ideal movie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Kadongy wrote: »
    You could watch the series..
    even the director himself says these movies are evangelion in the way he intended the story to be told.

the series itself suffered from huge problems regarding time and budget, and the ending is (as much as i don't like putting down one of the "classics") useless. both the series and movie interpretations.

plus, i'm fairly certain most people here have seen it like! it's ridiculously popular...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The second film is a definite improvement over the series (first is pretty much just a condensed version of the first few episodes). It's a far clearer and confidently presented vision of the story. That said, I adored End of Evangelion and thought it was a more than suitable conclusion. I'm extremely curious how they're going to handle the rest of the story in Rebuild, given the curious changes You Can (Not) Advance made to the Neon Genesis narrative. I was just hoping it would be out a bit sooner given Autumn 2012 is more than three years after 2.0's Japanese release. But then again I'd rather they make a kick ass film with as much time as they need. You can definitely tell the last few episodes of NGE suffered from being rushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

KingLoser wrote: »
    even the director himself says these movies are evangelion in the way he intended the story to be told.

the series itself suffered from huge problems regarding time and budget, and the ending is (as much as i don't like putting down one of the "classics") useless. both the series and movie interpretations.

plus, i'm fairly certain most people here have seen it like! it's ridiculously popular...

Komm Susser Todd is one of my favorite songs ever not because it's a good song (and it is) but because of the emotions I associate with it. Wouldn't call either of the ending useless, some fans love the series ending and the movie was great, but I get why you might think that.

As for waiting for subs, that's why we have fansubbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

There seems to be a bit of confusion on a fourth film. It was the initial plan, but people (aka anonymous people on the internet :pac:) are saying 3.0 and 4.0 might be released together. Or 4.0 might just be a brief epilogue at the end of 3.0. Who knows, there's a long time to wait before the next film so I'm sure we'll know more closer to the time.

Yes I heard that before, not sure if that is true either. I really look forward to them.

@Thomas-G: Agrees that Komm Susser Todd is an amazing song. A Happy gospel song with depressing lyrics.:P Can't stop thinking of the Cure.

• Advertisement

End of Evangelion is a masterpiece, I really don't know how anyone can call it a weak ending.

It's not only an amazing movie, but it's even better than the series imho. An incredible sensory experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I don't think the original ending of Evangelion is bad. Yes, on it's own, it's not great as it leaves so many unanswered questions. But tied with End of Evangelion, it's actually a pretty awesome ending. I like to see the original as concurrent to EoE ending ie that the original is what's going on in Shinji's mind whilst all the events of EoE are occurring.

I like it anyway :P

Very excited to see what they'll do next with Rebuild - bring it on! :D

I love this quote about End of Evangelion:
    The second half of the movie is so incoherent and obtuse that it completely loses the mainstream audience (and in fact, virtually any audience) this series has attracted before. It goes beyond art film and beyond anime. And in doing so, it goes beyond the audience's capability to understand and be entertained, which defeats the purpose of something labeled as entertainment

I do not like that the reviewer considers it a negative though. As a work of animated art, there's absolutely nothing like End of Evangelion. It is a direct response to the criticisms of the end of the anime, while fitting snugly into that fiction. The music, the visuals, the ideas are quite unlike anything else. It's one of anime's finest moment for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I read on the wiki article that Rebuild 3 will finish off the series. So that might mean they've run into financial trouble again and perhaps Anno will have to use innovation again by converging the fourth film into maybe 30-45 minutes. Who knows? I think rebuild left out some great scenes from the series, like the scene where Shinji Psycho analyses himself. I love the last two episodes of the original series too. So much introspection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Yeah what Azure Sky says seems to be in line with wiki's in general. Reports claim the films were envisioned to be similar to a noh play consisting of parts jo-ha-kyū. (Jo ha and now Q being the Japanese titles) I reckon that it's likely going to be an epilogue unless they decide to milk it (which wouldn't be unheard of)

This is hilarious - release date reveal held (as far as I can gather) in cinemas around Japan. Crowd are going ****ing bat****:

November 17th, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

This is hilarious - release date reveal held (as far as I can gather) in cinemas around Japan. Crowd are going ****ing bat****:

November 17th, by the way.
    Unfortunately we'd be lucky to get November 17th 2013...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I'll put this in here rather than making a whole new thread for it. A museum in Japan is hosting an exhibition of Eva weapons crafted by swordsmiths and associated craftsmen. It includes this 3.3m Spear of Longinus.

original.jpg

http://io9.com/5927993/master-japanese-craftsmen-make-real+life-versions-of-evangelion-weapons

Dedication: Level Asian? ;)

New trailer!

Hideaki Anno is probably singing "trololo" right this minute

• Advertisement

For some strange reason that reminds me of the opening movie for GT5.

New short trailer with some actual film footage (looking like piano playing is most certainly in)

Available on Nico Video if it gets taken off youtube, but fans have posted all sorts of English crap on the video over there.

Also looks like there's going to be an extended preview of some sort on the 9th / 16th. Google translate suggests the opening six minutes, but that could be lost in translation: http://www.evangelion.co.jp/news.html

It's the first 7 minutes and it's gonna be aired on the 9th. There's an English article about it here.

I am so, SO excited for this! Fingers crossed we get a showing here some time early next year like when 2.0 came out!

Yeah I've tweeted both Andrew Partridge and Japanese Film Festival (AFAIK they're running the full festival early next year) expressing interest in both Eva and Wolf Children screenings. Pester them enough and it might happen :P

Depresses me that this is going to be out in the wild with no access to it in November :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Pirate Asuka

That's all I need to see.

Latest trailer! Gahhhhhhh, must see!

Mari looks so damn smug there.

So tempted to actually organise a Dublin screening of this myself :(

"Hello, is this Gainax? You don't know me but..."

So tempted to actually organise a Dublin screening of this myself :(

"Hello, is this Gainax? You don't know me but..."

Absolutely nothing is confirmed but I do know that they are trying to organise a screening around Spring next year - hopefully sooner but any screening earlier than the DVD release would still be fantastic!

• Advertisement

Konata wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing is confirmed but I do know that they are trying to organise a screening around Spring next year - hopefully sooner but any screening earlier than the DVD release would still be fantastic!

Yeah I'd hope there'd be something sooner rather than later alright. Anime release dates over here are ridiculous - I remember at the IFI anime weekend Eva 1.0 still hadn't been released on DVD, let alone the sequel. Think it was close to eighteen months after that until the full English language release of 2.0 - a full two years after Japanese theatrical. Hopefully Manga or whoever is handling the release this time will get it sorted quickly. Alas, the problem lies with the restrictive Japanese producers themselves, who care so little about international markets that it's a continued shame.

Advertisement