Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evangelion 3.0: Q

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

:( Why must I live in a country where I won't get to see the next 100 minutes for months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Dying to know how they get to this point from the end of 2.0!

Also really surprised by how much of that I understood - managed to get the general gist of what was going on anyway.

Dat Asuka <3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Konata wrote: »

Also really surprised by how much of that I understood - managed to get the general gist of what was going on anyway.

Dat Asuka <3

Glad to see another Asuka fan here! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Dat Asuka <3

Cc button :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"Welcome back, Ikari Shinji...."

FUUUUUUUUUUUU......

Hideaki Anno: cinema's greatest storytelling troll.

• Advertisement

There weren't any subtitles for it when I first watched it.

Since I'm studying Japanese in college it was a nice boost to be able to understand some it out without the subs anyway :)

ALSO! If ANYONE posts spoilers without spoiler tags in this thread, I WILL kill you >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

ALSO! If ANYONE posts spoilers without spoiler tags in this thread, I WILL kill you >_>

I second this.:mad: I am trying my very best here to avoid the amount of spoilers that are being leeked across the internets.

I am liking Asuka more and more.<3

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You better not click here then.

=-=

I've seen the series, and the movies of Evangelion, but is Evangelion 2.0 any good?

the_syco wrote: »
    I've seen the series, and the movies of Evangelion, but is Evangelion 2.0 any good?

Yes, very very good indeed. Eva 1.0 was basically a HD remake, but Eva 2.0 shoots the series off in really unexpected directions, and has two of the most brilliant individual setpieces of recent years (and I'm talking about cinema in general, not just anime).

Watched it last night, finally. Make no mistake: this is an extremely peculiar, difficult film in so many ways. It takes the plot and characters in directions very, very unexpected.

The overall mood is one of intense melancholia. The series' comedic moments are nearly entirely absent. This is Shinji's film, desperately coping with the unforeseen repurcussions of the last film and finding himself in a basically unrecognisable world. This is the film's most effective gamble, and Anno and his crew find themselves in dialogue with themselves about this whole Rebuild thing, like End of... was. Can you redo? It's indeed the film's dominant question, and one which Final whenever it arrives will surely further address.

There's a lot of exposition - sometimes too much and too dense, even for franchise veterans. The portrayal of the wider cast of characters has already divided viewers, and will continue to do so. They're on the sidelines, acting through ambiguous motivations (plot justified, it must be said, although the plot sometimes is contrived). Asuka and Kaworu come off well, the others don't get a lot of screen time. The effectiveness of this tactic will only be determined in the last chapter.

Still, these are almost inevitable problems in a risky film that naturally doesn't have a full conclusion yet. The animation is beautiful, in glorious 2.35:1. There's a huge amount of interesting material. The soundtrack, while muted, perfectly encapsulates the film's melancholic mood. And in allowing us to occupy the mind of Shinji Ikari, the film goes much, much further than any of the previous films or series (much more elegant than the literally 'in his head' approach previously employed). In that sense it's a big success.

But it's not a film anywhere near as instantly gratifying as the last film was. That's very much the point. There are rough edges, absolutely no doubt. And final evaluation will have to wait until, well, Final, whenever it arrives. But it is fascinating, strange, experimental, maddening: in other words, it's Evangelion, but not how we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Watched it last night, finally. Make no mistake: this is an extremely peculiar, difficult film in so many ways. It takes the plot and characters in directions very, very unexpected.

The overall mood is one of intense melancholia. The series' comedic moments are nearly entirely absent. This is Shinji's film, desperately coping with the unforeseen repurcussions of the last film and finding himself in a basically unrecognisable world. This is the film's most effective gamble, and Anno and his crew find themselves in dialogue with themselves about this whole Rebuild thing, like End of... was. Can you redo? It's indeed the film's dominant question, and one which Final whenever it arrives will surely further address.

There's a lot of exposition - sometimes too much and too dense, even for franchise veterans. The portrayal of the wider cast of characters has already divided viewers, and will continue to do so. They're on the sidelines, acting through ambiguous motivations (plot justified, it must be said, although the plot sometimes is contrived). Asuka and Kaworu come off well, the others don't get a lot of screen time. The effectiveness of this tactic will only be determined in the last chapter.

Still, these are almost inevitable problems in a risky film that naturally doesn't have a full conclusion yet. The animation is beautiful, in glorious 2.35:1. There's a huge amount of interesting material. The soundtrack, while muted, perfectly encapsulates the film's melancholic mood. And in allowing us to occupy the mind of Shinji Ikari, the film goes much, much further than any of the previous films or series (much more elegant than the literally 'in his head' approach previously employed). In that sense it's a big success.

But it's not a film anywhere near as instantly gratifying as the last film was. That's very much the point. There are rough edges, absolutely no doubt. And final evaluation will have to wait until, well, Final, whenever it arrives. But it is fascinating, strange, experimental, maddening: in other words, it's Evangelion, but not how we know it.
    Glad to see something positive (ish) being said about it. Most people seem so unimpressed that I went from anticipating its release to not bothering to watch it once it was available.

Japanese Film Festival just posted this:

We're planning to make an announcement about the Irish premiere of Evangelion 3.0 in the next few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Wish they'd work to bring us more obscure stuff, pretty much anyone who wanted to watch 3.0 has, other than OMG BIG SCREEN factor it seems like a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And here I am, still waiting for info on Final. :(

Thomas-G wrote: »
    Wish they'd work to bring us more obscure stuff, pretty much anyone who wanted to watch 3.0 has, other than OMG BIG SCREEN factor it seems like a waste.

They do bring us more obscure stuff, during their annual Japanese Film Festival where they work with incredibly limited resources. I have seen several excellent, fascinating films at the JFF over the last few years that remain without Western release or promotion (off the top of my head Rent-a-Cat, Rebirth, Just Pretended to Hear from the last fest alone). Access cinema also run plenty of other cinema programmes around the country: within the last month or two they ran a series of films from the Mediterranean / Middle East in several venues around the country, where I was happy to see several interesting films I would not have seen otherwise.

The big screen factor cannot be understated: as a cinema fan, I always welcome big screen airings of films that will not otherwise receive them. The popularity and buzz they receive from it - I'd be surprised if this didn't sell out or manage close to sell out - will hopefully bring people back for the festival proper early next year: big name films are vital to raise awareness to help support those more obscure things which will only attract a fraction of the audience. You'd be amazed how much effort these once off events take to arrange, so it's no surprise at all only big names can justify it.

Sure, the Eva 3.0 screening is belated, but given the farcically short-sighted international approach most Japanese film producers take, better late than never.

It's just a bit disappointing that it was shown in so many other countries not long after it's release in Japan but we get nothing until now. Same with the Madoka films. The latest was only released 2 weeks ago in Japan but it's already been shown/soon to be shown (I actually can't remember the exact details but I know it's close to release anyway) in many cinemas in America.

Better than nothing at all I guess but still.

It's just a bit disappointing that it was shown in so many other countries not long after it's release in Japan but we get nothing until now. Same with the Madoka films. The latest was only released 2 weeks ago in Japan but it's already been shown/soon to be shown (I actually can't remember the exact details but I know it's close to release anyway) in many cinemas in America.

Better than nothing at all I guess but still.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan of Japanese cinema generally I often tear my hear out with frustration how poorly we're treated in terms of distribution (The Wind Rises, for example, is already receiving American screenings at the moment - I'd wager we'll be waiting a while). But at the same time we're a tiny market compared to US cities, and as previous anime events show - take the Tiger & Bunny screening, for example - anything but the biggest names will seriously struggle to attract anything beyond the committed enthusiast audience. And, alas, the Irish anime enthusiasts are too scattered, too few to support anything more frequent. The situation with live action Japanese cinema is even worse.

I think the few people trying to get anime and Japanese cinema into screens - Access Cinema, Andrew Partridge, Third Window etc... - are doing the best they can given the challenges they face. I'd absolutely love it if we got more films faster, but realistically that's probably more than we can realistically ask for given the level of audience these events tend to attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I am just thankfully to even have anime screenings in our cinemas. This was something I thought would never happen giving how small our fanbase is..

Advertisement