Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAN-AM SPYDER

• 28-08-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me what licence you need to ride a CAN-AM SPYDER, car or bike? (2 wheels on the front 1 at the rear)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

B license. I base this on the fact that the MP3 is drivable on a B license.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3iJkFfGfq20setlnO9eVpZZ7sjf6g0s2mbu10i-1XCtZSGT0D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Why would you bother when you could have a bike?

Unless disability is a factor of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I didn't renew my bike licence for a number years, and as a result, I would have go thru the whole process from scratch, but I do have a car licence, also that type of vehicle interests me more than a bike.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Why would you bother when you could have a bike?

Unless disability is a factor of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Have a look at the Grinnall Scorpion if you're interested in that kind of thing. Much cooler than the Can-Am imo.
    scorpion3-stelvio_passscorpion3_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know people with both Can-Am and the Grinall.......

Grinall: depends on who you get: I know one registered as a car, and one as a bike. One you need a car licence for, the other you need a bike one for.........same machine, different VRT offices...... :rolleyes: Only In Ireland, as they say............

Can-Am - the reason the MP3 doesn't need a car licence is because of the width of it - technically, it's a 'single track vehicle', whereas the Can Am is much wider, and needs a bike licence.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I didn't renew my bike licence for a number years, and as a result, I would have go thru the whole process from scratch, but I do have a car licence, also that type of vehicle interests me more than a bike.

How many years ? You don't 'lose' your entitlement that easy, you know.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know people with both Can-Am and the Grinall.......

Grinall: depends on who you get: I know one registered as a car, and one as a bike. One you need a car licence for, the other you need a bike one for.........same machine, different VRT offices...... :rolleyes: Only In Ireland, as they say............

Can-Am - the reason the MP3 doesn't need a car licence is because of the width of it - technically, it's a 'single track vehicle', whereas the Can Am is much wider, and needs a bike licence.

The reason you can ride a MP3 is due to the width between the two wheels on the front axle. It becomes classified as a trike(three wheeled vehicle), which is only rideable on a B class license. The width here is bang on the money, like in most EU states. In France, the width required is larger by three inches and the MP3 comes supplied with spacers to make it meet these requirements.

Both the Grinall and the Can-Am can only ever be classified as trikes because of the width of the rear axle and as such need a full B license to drive since they are single passenger vehicles only.

As for the the VRT office, I'm not surprised. In fact, I doubt that anybody you come across while using it would know either. That includes the gardi and insurance company's.

Huge thread on a Irish forum I won't mention going into the legality of trikes and the MP3.

Both the Grinall and the Can-Am can only ever be classified as trikes because of the width of the rear axle and as such need a full B license to drive since they are single passenger vehicles only

The Grinall is not single-passenger: has two full car seats. The Can-Am is like a bike, seat-wise.

Interestingly, one of the Grinall's I mentioned, because it's officially a car......has to be NCT'd, except for.............NCT can't test it because........it doesn't have 4 wheels, so.............it's exempt...........which means..........I mean, do you really have the time regarding the insurance........?? :p

As for the legality - I will adopt the EU hat here - if it's legal in any other member state, it's legal here. DoE et al can go boil their head......

Ode To The Motorist

Ok, I did more research on this: a Grinall, Can-Am etc, can all be driven on a B (Car) licence.

Piaggio MP3's, etc, need a bike licence. That is the official situation - you can't drive an MP3 on a car (B) licence, as the front track width is considered 'single track', and is, ergo, a motorcycle.

Here's the extract:

"Piaggio MP3 scooter
    While a Piaggio has 3 wheels, the two front wheels in this instance are regarded (under EU Directive on Type Approval of Vehicles) as being one wheel (ie twinned wheels), and therefore the vehicle is considered as being a motorcycle (two wheel) and not a tricycle (three wheel). "

The reason you can ride a MP3 is due to the width between the two wheels on the front axle. It becomes classified as a trike(three wheeled vehicle), which is only rideable on a B class license. .

I don't know if the above is a typo - it's actually the opposite - OP can't ride an MP3 because it's a bike. It is not wide enough to be classified as a tricycle (which a B licence lets you drive).

It is also deliberate - iirc Piaggio deliberately made the MP3 narrow - to avoid the need for a car licence.

If, however, the wheels are spaced to exceed 460mm centre-centre (of contact patch), it's a..........tricycle = car = B licence !

Confused now ? I know I am !! :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 30 megamonsterboy

I have a Fuoco, 500cc MP3's slightly bigger brother

I have a car license, insurance with AON on the car license

I don't have a bike license

• Advertisement

I have a Fuoco, 500cc MP3's slightly bigger brother

I have a car license, insurance with AON on the car license

I don't have a bike license

I don't doubt it, and I bet there's other's as well. But, as-homologated, unless the dims of front wheel ctr's are 460mm or over, you don't have a licence for it. I'm only quoting the regs.

What dims are your front wheels, btw ??

Out of curiousity - did AON ever ask to see your licence ? ...

In the Real World, I can't see anyone making issue out of it btw - it's a paperwork nightmare.

Ode To The Motorist

I don't know if the above is a typo - it's actually the opposite - OP can't ride an MP3 because it's a bike. It is not wide enough to be classified as a tricycle (which a B licence lets you drive).

Its not. The EU directive is a directive to member states on what to bring into law. Not law until its applied in the member states. And only France and one other country have enacted the law. So our measurement is the same as the British and the MP3 is ridden on a car license here. Mail the RSA if you don't believe me. Even when they do, throw the spacers in and off you go.

But yeah, the whole thing is very unclear and took a huge amount of effort to get to the bottom of it on the other thread I read.

I don't doubt it, and I bet there's other's as well. But, as-homologated, unless the dims of front wheel ctr's are 460mm or over, you don't have a licence for it. I'm only quoting the regs.

What dims are your front wheels, btw ??

Out of curiousity - did AON ever ask to see your licence ? ...

In the Real World, I can't see anyone making issue out of it btw - it's a paperwork nightmare.

AON gave me a quote based on the car license, when I accepted the quote and sent them in the copy of the license they rang me back to say I'd sent them in a copy of the wrong license, I explained to the guy who rang me that it was a 3 wheeled bike, he said that's fine

I've spoken to my local Gardai, they were unsure at first but when I told them I got a quote for insurance on it with a car license they were fine about it

I have no idea about the front wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I've spoken to my local Gardai, they were unsure at first but when I told them I got a quote for insurance on it with a car license they were fine about it.

That's almost funny.

So now the insurance companies makes the laws? Also the Gard is an arse.. You can insure a car with no tax or NCT - but that would not make it road legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

know a guy with an MP3 and he had a nightmare getting his practical driving test on it. Turned up to his ('A' license) test, and he got turned away for having the incorrect vehicle. Even though he had it insured as a bike, and paid 'bike' motor tax, he was told he needed to do the 'B' test

whole thing is just farcical

Wossack wrote: »
    know a guy with an MP3 and he had a nightmare getting his practical driving test on it. Turned up to his ('A' license) test, and he got turned away for having the incorrect vehicle. Even though he had it insured as a bike, and paid 'bike' motor tax, he was told he needed to do the 'B' test

whole thing is just farcical

Thanks for that information, I'll remember that for my test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd be a little concerned about turning up for the 'B' test, getting a different tester, who then also says - 'you've brought the wrong vehicle!'

try and get some document that will effectively force them to test you on the day imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Caught an Cam-Am Spyder RS in action today along the Clontarf sea front , looked and sounded great in full filght mode :)

Dept told me that you can't do test on 3-wheels...........you can insist of course, but your licence will be endorsed with 'Restriction 73' which will NOT let you ride motorbikes.

However, turn up on 2 wheels and...........you can ride 2 or 3 wheels as suits you.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jjmitcha

Can anyone recommend an insurance company for cover on a Can-Am Spyder F3 in Dublin Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Holy 6 year old thread revival batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I'd dig a big hole and bury the bloody thing :P

Advertisement